Monday 21 May 2018

"They March Through The Woodlands Singing Songs..."

"...That tell how they have righted wrongs."
This 28mm "white metal model" of a Shrew Warrior is "supplied unpainted" by “Oathsworn Miniatures", and can be purchased as Code BB10 from their "Burrows And Badgers" range. One of the more "abundant" races of beast in Northymbra, this small mole-like mammal comes equipped with a one-handed weapon and light shield, as well as heavy armour.

The "long-nosed mouse" actually comes supplied with its own "integral metal base", so was rather easily transfixed to a 30mm plastic circular lipped base with super-glue, before being under-coated using some "Vallejo" Black Surface Primer. His fur was then layered with Black and dry-brushed Heavy Charcoal. A dab of Black was also used for the tiny fighter's nose and eyes.
Green Lizard WIPs - The exotic warrior's patinated bronze needs finishing
All of the "fiercely territorial" animal's plate armour, as well as its shield, helmet and sword were pigmented with two layers of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and washed with Nuln Oil. These areas were later dry-brushed with (more) Ironbreaker, whilst its leather straps were simply treated to a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.

Endowed with a 'voracious appetite', the non-rodent's tunic was 'picked out' with some "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and shaded using "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I also managed to get my brush-tip onto two pouches worn upon the diminutive warrior's waist, and resultantly gave them a lick of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and Heavy Red respectively. Finally both of these small bags were shaded using a smidgen (more) Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter".
Viridian Chigoe WIP - The multi-part plastic extra-terrestrial has been assembled and primed
Alongside my "tenacious, and short tempered" Shrew, I have also made some significant progress on the County Durham-based company's Green Lizard. Due to the reptile's exotic country of origin, I plan to colour his plate armour with some patinated bronze, as I thought the contrast between the discoloured metal and the cold-blooded creature's green scaly skin. However, I am still sorely tempted to additionally paint its head bright blue as in the official "Oathsworn Miniatures" paint job.

With an eye already on next month's "Wild West Exodus" mini-project, I have managed to assemble one of three multi-part plastic Viridian Chigoes for my Watchers posse. These miniatures, now manufactured by "Warcradle Studios", have proved incredibly frustrating to assemble due to their instructions having to be downloaded from their website as opposed to being found within the Viridian Clade Posse Set I bought at "Salute" 2018, and my discontent with their packaging has only increased since discovering I have super-glued a couple of the wrong pieces onto my figures...

34 comments:

  1. I thought you were painting those tights wearing Elvish folk when I read the title.
    Lovely little collection as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I have a load of "Games Workshop" Sea Aelves coming over the summer, but currently I'm all about "Burrows & Badgers" :-)

      Delete
    2. Have you seen the Westfalia Feral Elves that are coming to kickstarter in July. They look fab sort of American Indian/Elf.

      Delete
    3. Hi Simon. No I'd not seen them. Look good, though I currently have more than enough Sea Aelves to be getting on with once I've a space in my painting calendar ;-)

      Delete
  2. Excellent job on the Shrew Warrior! I like the progress on the lizard as well.

    The WWX mini looks cool. Did you get the free bits with miniature wargames magazine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I've not seen the "Wild West Exodus" stuff with "Miniature Wargames" magazine. All my bitz come from the Starter Set which I bought at "Salute" this year, and they're driving me crackers enough as it is :-)

      Delete
  3. Great job on the shrew Simon, the lizard warrior is progressing well to, if you're thinking of adding extra colours to him have a look at a peacock day gecko it has great markings.
    The aliens seem to be giving you a little trouble with their construction have you got a colour scheme in mind for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I'll see how the patina works out once I've dry-brushed it in before I decide on whether to have my lizard anything other than green. I'm a bit concerned a light 'skink' blue will clash with the patina, and I rather like the dark green contrast with the bronze. The Viridians are predominantly black with white armour - so I'll be following the official colour scheme - hence the white prime :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely work on the Shrew and Lizard. Really liking these sculpts thus far.

    WWE minis do look flippin fiddly. No thanks.

    Sea Elves? Yikes, that must have cost a small fortune? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm hoping to have the Green Lizard finished soon. The "Wild West Exodus" sculpts are not what I would have wanted if I'd known before I bought them, but they should look awesome once painted up - I hope. I bought the Sea Aelves as I thought I'd let me buy some of the new Medusai minis too as allies, so there's a little plan behind my madness - a five month plan admittedly ;-)

      Delete
    2. Now we're talking - if I was to buy into a brand new AoS force, those Daughters of Khaine models are just gorgeous!

      Been a bit tricky to resist picking up a snakegirl or two just for painting gits'n'shiggles.

      Delete
    3. LOL. The Medusai are awesome sculpts, so I was simply waiting for the easiest of excuses ;-)

      Delete
    4. Well... for me, they'll have to wait until 2019 before I dip my toe sotospeak. I REALLY need to paint up or sell so much of my outstanding minis collection - it's really gotten out of hand to the point of me feeling quite overwhelmed.

      Delete
    5. Oh dear, Dai, getting overwhelmed is not a good place to be. I tend to have a huge clearance and pack things away in the loft when they get out of hand. It's amazing how inspiring a clean and empty painting table can be :-)

      Delete
  5. Very nicely done Simon - the Shew looks excellent. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. The Shrew is by far my favourite "Burrows & Badgers" mini so far. A real little gem.

      Delete
  6. Very nice. The shrew looks superb. I have been reading the Redwall books and the shrews are hilarious and your one fits in with how I think they should look perfectly. Love the idea of the bronze armour for the lizard! Makes him different to the British medieval woodland folk and captures a bit of that GW lizardman vibe! Good call. Shame about the WWX minis as they look great. Keep soldiering on old bean as your minis are really good at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I feel a few more Shrew will be destined for my tabletop at some point. I'm leaning towards sticking with an all-green lizard currently, and having the patinated armour making him stand out from amongst the foliage etc.

      Delete
  7. You and Brummie are producing some beautifully painted B&B figures that are wonderful eye candy.

    I've been watching some play-through videos of "Wild West Exodus" on YouTube to get a better understanding of what its about and whilst I do like Weird West games, this is not a game I'll be investing in. Sorry to hear about your problems with the figures. I can well imagine how frustrated you must feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan, very much appreciated. "Burrows & Badgers" was the big surprise of "Salute" this year, and has really captured the imagination. I don't think any but the keenest of players will spot the error I've made with my Viridians, but their assembly has proved a rather tiring experience tbh, and that's never a good motivator for me; especially when the single cast "Burrows & Badgers" are such a joy to paint.

      Delete
  8. I think you are enjoying these far too much Simon, stunning progress Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Hah! Thanks Michael. These are great minis, and a hoot to paint :-)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Most kind, Andy. Enjoying simple single-cast sculpts for a change :-)

      Delete
  10. Great stuff Simon, and I'm just about to start reading "Lord Brocktree" for inspiration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I know a lot of gamers are seeking inspiration from the “Redwall” series of novels. Does this mean you’ve succumbed and got some “Burrows & Badgers” in the pipeline ;-)

      Delete
  11. That's a mean looking shrew right there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Natholeon. He is indeed mean-looking.

      Delete
  12. A shrew in heavy armour? Well, that is not really a surprise any more...

    Nicely done, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh, much appreciated. I hope to paint up a few more at some point to give me a little posse - its such a great sculpt.

      Delete
  13. Lovely work on the shrew Simon, those figures are so cute!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. I think the Shrew is a corking sculpt, and steals the "Burrows & Badgers" range for me currently.

      Delete
  14. My money is on Hissing Sid, all that singing is going to give their position away.

    ReplyDelete