Wednesday 18 July 2018

The Boromite Guilds Are All That They Have Of A Home..."

"...For long ago the Boromites spread to the ends of the Antarean universe."
This 28mm metal Boromite Work Ganger is manufactured by "Warlord Games" and comes as part of the Boromite Work Gang boxed set for "Beyond The Gates Of Antares". "Supplied unassembled and unpainted" this extra-terrestrial miner is the third of five miniatures I require in order for me to field a 123-point Reflex Armour-wearing unit armed with Mass Compactors and Implosion Grenades.

Initially undercoated with "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, the figure was washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and then had a layer of Chaos Black applied over all its weaponry, ammunition packs and hip-flask. The alien's metallic areas, including its firearm's nozzle, were subsequently treated to a combination of Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil, whilst its pouch was painted using a mix of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, Heavy Red and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
Johnny Alpha & Wulf Sternhammer WIPs - The Search/Destroy agents have been primed
The Boromite's Mass Compactor had its hand-grips and main body slightly corroded with a light touch of "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash and I 'picked out' the weapon's power lighting with "Vallejo" Heavy Khaki and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green. Finally, the model's yellow(ish) armour, his "separate multi-functional nanite receptor nodes" and mining tool's distortion compensator were all coloured by heavily washing a layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre with some "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade.

Supposedly "released this Saturday & available in your local gaming stores" I'm already discovering my "inner mutant" by assembling Johnny Alpha, Wulf Sternhammer and Gronk from the "Strontium Dog Starter Game: The Good, the Bad and the Mutie" by "Warlord Games". These "central heroes" from the "2000 A.D." comic book series look very crisp metal sculpts indeed, and are accompanied within the box by an MDF flat-packed seven-piece Solar Farm scenery set made from MDF by Sarissa Precision.
The Stix Brothers & Gronk WIPs - All the models have been undercoated
Along with the obligatory rule-book, cards and tokens, the "great value" starter set also contains models of the infamous outlaws responsible for Wulf's death in Prog 465, "the notorious Max Bubba and four of his gang – Impetigo Jones, Brute Mosely, Skull and Low-Down O’Phee." However, rather than assemble them I've decided to start on my favourite Search/ Destroy agency contractors instead, the infamous Stix brothers.

Coming "from an unknown number of apparently identical mutants" these "ice-hearted killers" who "affect the look of gunfighters from Earth’s Old West" appear as if artist Carlos Ezquerra has somehow managed to actually pencil them in white metal, and arrived bundled alongside their Character card, Armoury cards (Gas Bomb and Frag Bomb) and Chicanery card (Stone Cold)...

24 comments:

  1. Crikey, Simon, you sure were quick to showcase some of the brand new "Strontium Dog" figures. I only just received my bundle this afternoon. Fortunately, I have enough painted Wargames Foundry Strontium Dogs to start testing the rules immediately. I'm very much looking forward to reading your views on the game and seeing your painted figures. I think August will be Strontium Dog month for me as I clear my painting table to make way for this new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my Stronty stuff arrived and I thought I might as well start assembling, basing and priming them; and then posting them. I don’t plan to do much more with them yet as I need to finish my “Red Dwarf” crew for this month, and as I’ve commented before, I hope to paint them up over August as my monthly subject.

      They do look rather nice sculpts imho, albeit I don’t like Wulf Sternhammer’s pose as those arms, as has been said before on the internet, strike me as being somewhat shorter than I’d have thought - almost as if they’ve been reduced to fit into a mould. Johnny’s pose though is excellent, and the Stix Brothers are great too :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the Boromite Simon. Quick off the start with the Strontium Dog game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I always like to take advantage of my being inspired, so put a few hours in yesterday on the Stronty Dog stuff. Just two more Boromites to go - and one of them simply needs varnishing and flocking :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm very interested in the Strontium Dogs I've liked them since the '70's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Phil. I’ll be giving the starter set and expansion boxes much love throughout August. But hope to post up a few more of the primed minis I’ve done over the next few weeks as I prep them.

      Delete
  4. Having been sojourning in the Land of Mists, I missed out on any announcements regarding the SD release, so this was a pleasant surprise. The figures do look rather nice and I'll be interested to hear how the game plays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. I was able to sneak a peek at the game early when I recently visited Nottingham, so have been eager to actually get my hands on it.

      Delete
  5. Lovely job Simon, always fun to see what you are up to as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. The Boromites take a lot of hobby time to finish, so I admittedly, only have time to do the odd one now and then.

      Delete
  6. Glad to see another Boromite done. What a project that has been! I can't wait to see what you do with the Strontium Dog minis as they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I'm a bit underwhelmed with Wulf Sternhammer's pose, but that's the only one I've so far looked at and not liked. I might change his primary colour too, and make it more red/brown as I don't like the orange undercoat.

      Delete
  7. Almost at the finish line with the Boromites Simon, it's good to see Johnny Alpha released, as hopefully we might see something on Judge Dredd soon, how do the the models compare size wise, with the foundry models and Mongoose ones ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell you that they're slightly smaller than the Foundry figures (only a couple of millimetres) and ever so slightly bigger than the Mongoose figures.

      Delete
    2. Thank's Bryan, as they have some sets coming that I might be interested in ( the Weird Brothers for one)

      Delete
    3. Almost at the finish line with the Boromites indeed, Dave, as their Work Gang Leader is just about ready for posting, and that'll leave with just one more :-)

      I've got The Weerd Brothers, so will base them up next and let you know my thoughts. Perhaps I'll do a comparison shot or some such so you can see the size differences for yourself - my immediate thought was actually that they'd work alongside the "Doctor Who: Exterminate" minis - plenty of juicy team-up possibilities that way :-)

      Delete
  8. Al looks good so far. I am interested in what you do with Stronty and co. Good luck and I shall await with baited breathe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint, much appreciated. Should be a fun project and one which'll be in full swing for the entirety of next month.

      Delete
  9. Wow those Boromites seem to have been around for ages now! I think I'll miss them once they are all finished ;-)

    Lots of new stuff to get your teeth into as well, I'd say you are going to be busy, but you're always busy!!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. The Boromites will be around as long as I am probably, as I have boxes of them - all bought before I realised what a pain they are to paint!! You can't beat a bit of Stronty Dog imho, and then obviously we've got "Dungeon Saga" September :-)

      Delete
  10. great to see another of your Boromites completed and the new 2000AD figures look very ntersting though detail is hard to see on them.
    I was a late starter to 2000Ad (about issue 72) and only kept it up for about a year, so I've only vague memories of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I’ve at least one more Boromite to post at some point soon, and these “Strontium Dog” miniatures will feature heavily during August as I try to get them ready for a game. There’s plenty of graphic novels/TPB collections based on Johnny Alpha’s adventures if you do decide to catch-up :-)

      Delete
  11. I loved Johnny Alpha and co as a kid, really wanted to buy into this but gaming funds are low. I’m gonna have to enjoy them vicariously through you instead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do, Andy, that's the whole point of this blog, and then hopefully when funds are available you'll hopefully know precisely which minis to buy :-)

      Delete