Saturday 13 August 2016

"They Are Spreaders Of The Seeds Of Corruption..."

"...And they take an obscene satisfaction in their work."
This 28mm Plaguebearer is one of the plastic multi-part models which can be assembled from the sprues found within the “Games Workshop” Plaguebearers of Nurgle boxed set. Part of my fledgling Befouling Host of Nurgle, this foot soldier of the daemonic legion is the second of the ten figures I’m required to paint in order to field a unit of the loathsome creatures for the “Age Of Sigmar” rule set.

Having super-glued the model together the blighted soul was given an undercoat of “Vallejo” Heavy Khaki and subsequently washed with “Citadel” Thrakka Green. The Lesser Daemon was then dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Heavy Khaki and had details such as its horn, glistening innards and plaguesword ‘picked out’ with “Citadel” Abaddon Black. In order to try and provide the model with the impression it was ‘blessed’ with Nurgle’s Rot, the pustulant creature’s organs were painted with either “Vallejo” Heavy Red or Heavy Warmgrey. These areas were then generously washed with a combination of “Citadel” Thrakka Green, Agrax Earthshade and Carroburg Crimson. Finally all the swollen monster’s zits were ‘emboldened’ with a combination of “Vallejo” Heavy Ochre and “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade, whilst its hand-weapon was dry-brushed with “Vallejo” Heavy Charcoal.
Nurgling WIPs - Once glued together a number of these tiny critters will disappointingly be hidden from view
 With the second of my Plaguebearers finished, and another three miniatures in their final stages, I have turned my attention to seeing how my “Vallejo” Heavy Khaki colour scheme works with the unit of Nurglings I’m planning on fielding. A base of these multi-part plastic Mites of Nurgle is essentially created by placing three ‘towers’ of the disease-ridden horrors directly in front of one another upon a 40mm circular stand.

As a result I have already predominantly finished painting the back row to my first of three necessary models, and have been brusquely washing the little razor-sharp toothed critters with “Citadel” Thrakka Green, Agrax Earthshade and Crimson Carroburg. These Nurglings now simply need to be tidied up before being ready for varnishing. In addition I have primed, washed and dry-brushed both the characterful middle and front rows of the ensemble.
Imperial Fleet WIPs - A primed County Class Heavy Cruiser and nearly finished Destroyer
 Even a devotee to the Great Unclean One needs to take a break from the jovial and utterly revolting Greater Daemon, and so I have been persevering with my collection of 6mm spacecraft from the Imperial Fleet range made by “Irregular Miniatures”. I currently have two vessels in my painting queue; an Oberon Class Destroyer, complete with impressive saucer radar and the considerably larger County Class Heavy Cruiser.

Progress on the smaller of the two “Star Trek” inspired starships has taken a bit of a back step on account of my needing to drill right through the saucer section in order to fit the model on a stand. However in addition to super-gluing an additional fixture to the vessel’s surface (in order to cover the hole), I have consequently been forced to attach an old "Mongoose Games" ‘ball and socket’ flying base to it, as the destroyer's centre of gravity isn’t quite correct, despite my utilising the miniature’s pre-drilled hole.

28 comments:

  1. Fabulous work Simon, but those Nurglings are such great sculpts. I think once assembled together the overall effect with offset any concerns about not seeing a coulee of them as clearly as you might like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Michael. Slowly pushing through and I already have a bit of a backlog Ref Plaguebearers, so expect them to be posted in twos and threes in future. The Nurglings are great aren't they, and its such a shame such great sculpts are partially hidden. But that does mean I can get away with just painting them black and picking out their eyes and teeth :-)

      Delete
  2. that demon of Nurgle looks very nasty (In a good well painted way). Slimy creepy and deadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. That's precisely the look I'm hoping for!!

      Delete
  3. Those Nurgle bits look blooming well good, and the spaceships too.

    Did you receive my email, about the asteroids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. Hopefully I can save the Destroyer from my ham-fisted drilling. Its looking encouraging at present.

      Email seen and reply sent. Thanks very much for letting me know your thoughts on those asteroids. I'll be going with your recommendation once you've cobbled them together.

      Delete
  4. The nurlings are brill, remind me of snotlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do Martin... Perhaps I'll do some as a second force at some point ;-) Cheers.

      Delete
  5. Awesome work on the diseased ones. They look like a nice kit to work with as well. Is that how the Nurglings come now?

    Nice work on the ships. I sympathise with your drilling woes I am having a personal battle against miniatures with thick integral bases at the moment and there is much snipping and filing down going on in the Brummie household at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Simon. Each Nurgling base requires three rows, so a £15 boxed set apparently allows you make 27 combinations of Nurgling towers. Plus there are loads of individual Nurglings for using on bases for the rest of your army. I was initially a bit disappointed when I first opened the box and saw the sprues. But once you see what you have, its an absolutely corking kit imho.

      I'm especially frustrated with the need to fit a 'ball and socket' base, as it puts the spaceship at a greater height to the "GW" stands, and of course, now "Mongoose Games" don't sell the wretched things anymore, they're quite hard to find if I need more.

      Delete
    2. Have you looked at the Hawk Wargames stands for there fliers?

      Delete
    3. No I hadn't Simon. But I certainly will in future. They look great!! Have you used them yourself?

      Delete
  6. Good work as usual, Simon. If ever you find anyone selling those old ball and socket flying bases do let me know. I think they're great. GW also used to sell them. I bought a load for my Dark Eldar on Jet Bikes. I wish I'd bought a lot more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I will buy for the both of us then if I see some cheap :-) Not sure why they don't sell them anymore. So much better than a normal stand, and far less likely to break imho.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done with the Plaguebearer - I have always liked the Nurgle stuff from GW and I think you are doing a great job with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. I'm sure people are going to get sick of them soon. But I've a lot to get through this month, and most of it is Nurgle-related :-)

      Delete
  8. Nice work on the Nurglings, they should look nice en-mass, I do however really like those starships.. must resist!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. The Nurglings are terrific fun to paint, if not rather more fiddly to paint than their larger cousins. As to the starships... well, I would have thought I'd have a few spare after my project, which you might like? Happy to post them out to you free of charge if you're tempted?

      Delete
    2. That is fantastically kind of you sir, I really don't want to put you out at all. they would be most appreciated if you have any spare but don't leave yourself short.

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. No worries Roger. I've a few weeks worth of models ahead of me, but if there's any left afterwards then they're yours.

      Delete
  9. I'm back! And you know what I'm going to say, don't you? Those plaguebearers really are blooming brilliant...as are the Nurglings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon, LOL!! As long as you keep saying such nice things then please do keep coming back my friend. I'm trying to break up the slimy green monotony with spaceships and giant dinosaurs (cue "Godzilla" for my next post). But there's so many more Nurglings to come!!

      Delete
  10. Excellent work, Simon. The nurglings really steal the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Finch. They are cute little critters, aren't they :-)

      Delete
  11. Nurglings were always my favourite little monsters, so comic and mischievous. All looking good bud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I love'em, even if they are a bit fiddly to paint.

      Delete
  12. Hust when I thought it was safe to look, the nurgling continues woth another disgusting creature, topped off by a whole cheerleading team of their mates.
    Super stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joe LOL :-) It should be safe next time, as Godzilla is up next. Although there'll be plenty of Nurgle-related WIPs on show as well.

      Delete