Monday 25 September 2017

"A Gorgon Can Breathe Out A Cone Of Vapour That Turns Creatures To Stone."

"The Gorgon is a magical beast that resembles a bull, covered in dusky metallic scales."
Sculpted by Bob Olley, this large 28mm scale Brass Bull is made by "Reaper Miniatures" and was originally produced in metal upon its release in June 2006. My version however, is available as model 77256 from company's "Bones" range, and measures approximately 90mm in length, 35mm in width and 36mm in height; not including the animated construct's tail.

The polymer Gorgon was initially primed with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and subsequently treated to a double coat of Brass. The "magical beast" was then heavily washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, before being dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Brass.
"Out Houses were, after all, very much a part of the American West."
I began 'weathering' "one of the first monsters introduced in the earliest edition of the game... Dungeons & Dragons" by applying plenty of "Citadel" Nihilakh Oxide over the model, and later gave him a second dry-brush of "Vallejo" Brass. Lastly, I undercoated the "very aggressive" creature's cobbled stone base with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey and "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

With my neutrally aligned Gorgon completed, I have additionally finished work on a piece of Wild West Terrain I recently bought from "Wargames Terrain Workshop" for the Weird West rule-set "Dracula's America". This resin Out House is "supplied in three pieces: main structure, front panel, and door", and contains plenty of "internal detail" in order for its door to "be glued in multiple positions."
Judoon Ghost WIPs - The spectral alien mercenary has been painted white and shaded with grey and brown
Having taken Dave Stone's advice to paint inside the wooden building "before attaching the front panel", I undercoated it with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, and then treated it to a couple of layers of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna. The lavatory was then washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, before being first dry-brushed with 'pure' "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, and then later with a lighter combination of Heavy Sienna and White.

Finally, I have made a little more progress on the converted Judoon model I plan to use as one of the two "Incorporeal" ghosts which should accompany the Fisher King in the "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" skirmish game by "Warlord Games". The Shadow Proclamation enforcer has been base-layered and shaded, so now simply requires a second dry-brush of "Vallejo" White before I start to 'pick out' his improvised hand-weapon.

31 comments:

  1. Nice work on the brass bull. Does such a thing suffer similarly from extreme cold temperatures like brass monkeys do?

    Yes, I know, I have a strange sense of humour - its a curse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. As you to your question, I don't believe any dungeon explorers have lived long enough to even ask ;-)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic job on the Gorgon, especially the patina you've managed to give it!
    The Judoon "ghost" is looking great, but I'm surprised we can't see the interior detail of the outhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg, much appreciated. Gorgons apparently roam the wilderness in herds of 3-4, so I might so some more at some point; especially as they're so inexpensive as "Bones" models. I'm afraid I was limited by the size of the base I chose for my Out House as to the door's angle. But I certainly plan to buy a few more, so may well base them on larger stands.

      Delete
  3. Great work on the Gorgon (okay I know it's not technically a Gorgon). Takes me back to the good 'ole D&D days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I think the Gorgon is a great "D&D" mini, and Bob Olley's sculpt really captures one well.

      Delete
  4. Outstanding work on the Brass Bull, Simon.
    As for your outhouse, unless the door opens or the roof is removable, I would have just left the inside black. It's a nice model and it's certainly on my WTW shopping list.
    The ghostly Judoon is coming along very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I think a herd of 3-4 Gorgons would look awesome on the tabletop, though I doubt I'd ever have a party strong enough to tackle them. If you sneak a peek into the door-gap then you can easily see inside the Out House, hence my desire to make sure I did a job inside too.

      Delete
  5. The Gorgon turned out really well Simon, great job on the outhouse, with the ghost's try adding a blue or green glaze next to the shadow areas before the final highlight, could give you a more etheral look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much, Dave. I might order some more Out Houses from you at some point, once my "Dracula's America" project takes shape. For now I'm trying to capture the appearance of my Air Elemental on my Judoon, as that seems to be closer to the TV look of the Fisher King's ghosts. If not though, then I'll indeed be adding some green similar to my Balewind Vortex :-)

      Delete
    2. I'll certainly need to order some other bits and bobs to go alongside those two new post-Apocalyptic cars you've sculpted, as well as the long awaited Death Match dice :-)

      Delete
    3. Yes those dice have been a thorn in my side for a long time now, so very happy to be finally making them available. In answer to your recent question about the cars, another two are in the works and a small tanker as well

      Delete
    4. Excellent news... although that means I need to paint up my current backlog of "Wargames Terrain Workshop" stuff even faster!!

      Delete
    5. check out our new post at TGC Simon for more on the Death Match dice.

      Delete
  6. The Brass Bull/Gorgon looks superb Blaxkleric. Very well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon, very much appreciated indeed. Back to "G.I. Joe" for the next posting ;-)

      Delete
  7. Superb rendition of the "Gorgon", love the verdigris effect and I think you've cmplimented the other Ghost figure with is latest one.
    The outhouse, well it looks like an outhouse ! - So a job well done I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Glad you like the Gorgon, it was sat on my painting table for ages before I finally finished him off.

      Delete
  8. Whilst I think your Gorgon is outstanding, the detail that did it for me was the black eye sockets, which give the impression that this construct is hollow. A lovely touch and one I may very well copy where appropriate.

    Regarding the outhouse, when I initially saw it painted brown, I was convinced it was made of the sort of brown plastic they use for Lego, as the uniform colouring and pati a does suggest this. This is meant to be a compliment, as it doesn't LOOK painted, if you know what I mean.

    And I shall be watchi g with interest as you 'spectres' progress, as I'm curious to see how they come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. The Gorgon is a terrific mini and vfm as a "Bones" figure imho. And the Out House not-looking painted is high praise indeed - as no mini should look painted, it should look as if that's its actual colour :-)

      Delete
  9. OMGGGGG Simon, the Gorgon is just WOW,its the impressive model Ive seen you do - ever. Its a real brute isnt it.

    Still havent painted our Judoon yet. you shame me and remind me we MUST make a start soon hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shucks, very kind of you Hils. The "Citadel" Nihilakh Oxide does all the work tbh, I just apply it and dry-brush it out.

      This is my second box of Judoon, having previously painted three of them last year. Now I've converted one, I need to pick up a third box, but I'll now wait until "Warlord Games" release the Vervoids and Draconians. You can see how I painted my first three here if interested: http://fantorical.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/blos-so-folt-do-no-cro-blo-cos-so-ro.html

      Thanks for latest posting on "The Game Cupboard" too, marvellous stuff, and I look forward to seeing you and Steve at Salute :-)

      Delete
  10. That Gorgon is a bloody MONSTER mate. Gorgeous, and simply THE best I`ve seen you do. I`d be very proud to own that in my table top collection.

    Yes you just reminded me, our Judoons are still sealed in their box, darn! We really must paint them, along with the rest of our DW expansion sets. I like the shed, and see exactly what Jez means... kinda cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks indeed for your generous comment, Steve, the Gorgon has turned out alright I must confess. There's lots of "Doctor Who" expansions coming, so you really need to keep up ;-) Albeit the "Death Match" skirmish and "Salute" appearance sound terribly exciting (and distracting). See you in April!!

      Delete
  11. Being that our regular rpg rules set is Pathfinder, i took it upon myself to research gorgons and their abilities after seeing this lovely lovely (so lovely infact that I've since added one to my ebay watchlist, tsk tsk) painted effort. Seems one can eat the flesh of a gorgon and that it is quite palatable infact. If only i could figure out how not to be petrified prior to getting a lick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petrification would indeed seem to be one of the Gorgon's biggest issues when its being viewed as a potential food source, Dai. That and all the broken teeth its metallic hide would surely cause!! :-)

      Delete