Wednesday 12 December 2018

"And Like A Good Warrior, I Shall Enter The Fray Myself."

"I would rate you above average, soldier. Well done."
This 30mm-tall metal miniature of a Sontaran is sold by “Warlord Games” and can be bought as part of their "Sontaran General Staal" three-figure boxed set. Dedicated to waging "an eternal war throughout Mutter's Spiral against the Rutan Host" this particular incarnation of the clone race made their first appearance in Helen Raynor's April 2008 BBC television story "The Sontaran Stratagem".

Initially undercoated with "Vallejo" Black, the war-mad extra-terrestrial's battle armour, belt and helmet were treated to a layer of Gunmetal Blue before being shaded using some "Citadel" Nuln Oil. These areas were then dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Gunmetal Blue so as to try and bring out all the sculpt's marvellous detail, and provide the armour's edges with a noticeable metallic shine.
Dalek And Sontaran WIPs - The miniatures are both half-finished
The Sontaran's space suit was painted using "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey and subsequently treated to a watered-down wash of "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade. Finally the aliens's somewhat cumbersome-looking laser rifle was pigmented in "Vallejo" Black and dry-brushed using Heavy Charcoal.

This warrior is actually one of the two models I need so as to field a Sontaran Bodyguards Recruitment card for my "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" Sontaran faction. However, as I also aim to deploy a three-figure strong Sontaran Patrol too, I have made some considerable progress on one of the miniatures which comes in the "Doctor Who: Into The Time Vortex" Sontaran Squad boxed set as well.
"Doctor Who: Exterminate!" WIPs - Jackie Tyler, Romana and Leela
In addition, I recently experienced something of an accident with another of my plastic 'push-fit' Daleks, so have ended up turning the somewhat 'battle-damaged' Kaled drone into an objective/scenic base. As I've composed a similar-looking defunct Dalek in the past, I have decided to add some oozing green mutant goo to the Mark III Travel Machine, courtesy of some grey-stuff...

Lastly, I have been busy basing and priming a number of the Doctor's companions in preparation for the Ninth Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. The last of this event's Fortnightly Themed Bonus Rounds in March 2019 is 'Fellowship', so I was potentially planning on slowly building up an ensemble of the Gallifreyan's fellow female time travellers to use as my final entry. Resultantly, I've set aside Romanadvoratrelundar, Leela and Jackie Tyler...

10 comments:

  1. I suggest a full-frontal assault with automated laser monkeys, scuffle mines, and acid ..... loving the Sontaran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that desite not knowing most of the Dr. Who figures you feature, I am growing to quite like the range. Sontarons, Daleks and most anything in black and white brings back good memories and I kove seeing tour renditions in colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. That's extremely kind of you to day. More "Doctor Who" is definitely coming soon :-)

      Delete
  3. Great work on the Sontaran Simon, can't have too maney battle damaged Daleks I say ! LOL Nice set of companions shall look forward to seeing these during the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. A few battered Daleks, and perhaps a couple of downed Cybermen should make for an interetsing battlefield for sure. I'm hoping to pick off a few companions of the Time Lord over the AHPC, and then post them up at the end for the 'Fellowship' theme.

      Delete
  4. Nice work again on the Sontaran, and another battle damaged Dalek, if its half as good as the last one should be great!! (still haven't done my version yet!!), Teela, Romana, and King Ralphs girlfriend eh? well looking forward to all of them too!

    Cheers Roger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. My fingers are crossed for the latest battle damaged Dalek. The companions should get started just as soon as the AHPC starts :-)

      Delete