Saturday 8 December 2018

"Introducing The World's Greatest Assassin."

"You really think a 'Hit-Monkey' is out to get you?"
This 17mm tall plastic “Wizkids” model of Hit-Monkey is miniature number 020 from the "Heroclix" Deadpool and X-Force Marvel range, and depicts the Japanese macaque after the snow monkey has "dedicated his life to killing assassins" following his clan's slaughter. An expert marksman and martial artist, the primate was created by Daniel Way and artist Dalibor Talijic, and made his first appearance in the April 2010 issue of "Deadpool".

Chopped from his 'clicky-base' the figure was super-glued on to a 25mm circular base and given a double-helping of "Vallejo" Black so as to 'annihilate' its pre-paint job. Hit-Monkey was then heavily dry-brushed using some "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal and thoroughly washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. The assassin's firearms were 'picked out' using a combination of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and (more) Nuln Oil.
"Toon Realms" WIPs - Nesh The Barbarian, Rankle The Dwarf and Rookie The Elf
I've seen the comic book character's flesh inked/coloured in a variety of pinks and reds, so in the end decided to pigment his face using a dab of "Vallejo" Heavy Red with a spot of "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson. The Howling Commando of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s fur was initially treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Dead White, shaded "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and finally dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Dead White.

Moving on from previously partially-painted anti-heroes, I have also managed to prepare a few more "Toon Realms" miniatures for the fast-approaching Ninth Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. Produced by "Lucid Eye Publications" I intend to use Rankle The Dwarf, Rookie The Elf and Nesh The Barbarian as the start of my very own "Lord Of The Toons" fellowship, as I think the cartoonish sculpts will make fun alternatives on my tabletop for the likes of Gimli, Legolas and Boromir.
"Lord Of The Rings" WIPs - Three more primed Ringwraiths
Needless to say, my ultimate aim is to actually be able to field armies of Treefolk, Elves, Ghosts, Men, Halflings, Skeletons, Fish-Men, Dragons, Spiders and Seabirds(?) in an attempt to re-imagine some of "The Lord Of The Rings" larger battles. But whilst I wait to see what rule-set Rick Priestley comes up with for the "good versus evil" range, I may well give something like Daniel Mersey's "Dragon Rampant" Fantasy Wargames Rules by "Osprey Publishing" a go first...

Lastly, and sticking with J. R. R. Tolkien's literary masterpiece, I have primed three more metal Ringwraiths from the official "Games Workshop" range. I actually only bought this trio of Nazgul off of Ebay last month as I'm eager to get my first eight 28mm scale figures finished by the end of the AHPC's opening weekend, and felt the predominantly black-coloured Fallen Kings would make the perfect subject matters for a mad burst of productivity.

18 comments:

  1. Nice work on this guy never heard of Hit Monkey before.

    Look forward to seeing what you do with the Toon realms stuff. I quite like the Dragon and treeman and a few other figures they do not dipped my toe yet. Probably will in the New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Simon. Hit-Monkey was one of my fave "Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D." tbh, so I was delighted to see "Wizkids" did a "Heroclix" sculpt of him.

      The "Toon Realms" stuff looks great, so I'm really looking forward to giving them a few licks of paint over the next few months.

      Delete
  2. I just picked up some Lucid Eye stuff at Recreational Conflict's holiday sale here in the US, but I didn't get anything from the Toon Realms line. They look cool, though...I just don't know what I would use them for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angry Piper. I'm simply hoping to use them for some basic fantasy stuff, maybe a bit of dungeoneering. I like their straightforward sculpting, as they look fun and reasonably quick to paint.

      Delete
  3. I would go with Dragon Rampant, it’s a great set of rules that’s very flexible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a strong recommendation, Simon. I need to re-read "Dragon Rampant" first though, to remember the size of the units etc.

      Delete
  4. Nice work on Hit-Monkey - I was unfamiliar with the character but have just read up on him thanks to your post BK> :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon, and you're very welcome :-) A great character and an interesting foil for Deadpool imho.

      Delete
  5. Never had a lot to do with Hit Monkey (never read much Deadpool to be honest), nice figure though. The "Lord of the toons" figures do look rather good, but like the excellent Hedgerows stuff you showcased a while back I really don't need another project dragging me further under my lead pile so I'll just enjoy your figs with this too.

    The more of the old LotR stuff that keeps appearing across the "blogosphere" just makes me regret selling off the original box game I got as a sample from GW back when it first came out, oh well live and learn as they say.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I'm hoping the "Toon Realms" stuff really takes off, as much as the "Burrows & Badgers" postings did in the past (I have more of them to come too!). As for "LoTR", well there's a lot of the old stuff up for sale second-hand these days at very reasonable prices imho. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Your preparation for the AHPC is really going well. The Nazgul are a sound choice for some quick wins. I am sure intrigued by your Seabird faction for Lord of the Toons. What chapter are they in!!!! Your ability to post minis of obscure comic heroes is becoming legendary! That goodness for Google to look them all up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat, I certainly think an opening salvo of Nazgul will help me get off to a quick start during the AHPC and help me then focus upon the first Themed Bonus Round 'Reconnaissance'.

      I believe Tolkien once envisioned the Great Eagles as bird-shaped Maiar, so perhaps they were gannet-shaped Maiar instead ;-)

      Ah... I do love my comic book lore, so plenty more heroes to come which you may not have heard about. I love Hit-Monkey, and hope to have him and the rest of the Howling Commandoes Of SHIELD on the tabletop again soon.

      Delete
  7. Great work on Hit Monkey Simon, not a character I'm familiar with, lots more prep work done in readiness for AHPC i see as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very kindly, Dave. Lots of prep and plenty of partially-painted minis getting finished too over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  8. Hit Monkey eh? I guess he;s not to be taken seriusly at you peril!
    The fantasy threesome look very dood sculpts, full of character and wouldn;t look amiss in any fantasy setting, but the ringwraiths take pride of place in my eye, great sculpts and very sinister looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe, glad you like the selection on offer :-) Hopefully the "Toon Realms" and "Lord Of The Rings" finished minis won't disappoint once they're done.

      Delete