Thursday 22 August 2019

"Remove This Tohzah From My Sight. "

"I take it you have never seen a Romulan before."
These two 32mm scale resin miniatures of Romulan Uhlans are manufactured by “Modiphius Entertainment” and form part of their ten-figure strong Romulan Strike Team set. “Designed for use with the Star Trek Adventures roleplaying game”, this pair of models are "biological cousins of Vulcans" and made their first television appearance in the December 1966 episode “Balance Of Terror”.

Despite coming with their own 30mm scenic stands sculpted to look like some sort of galvanised steel walkway, I actually re-based the duo onto 28mm lipped plastic bases instead so as to better fit in with the rest of my collection. Once super-glued, grey-stuffed and gritted in place, the Romulans were primed using a double undercoat of "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, and had their Late Twenty-Fourth Century tunics shaded in "Citadel" Nuln Oil.
The "Supers Unlimited Miniatures" Kickstarter by "Kitbash Games"
The "lowest rank of commissioned officers" in the Romulan Star Empire, the Uhlans were then delicately dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, before having their boots and hair pigmented using some "Citadel" Abaddon Black. I applied a coat of "Vallejo" Dark Grey to the soldiers' trousers, washed this with "Citadel" Nuln Oil and 'picked out' their flesh using my usual combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone and "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade.

At this stage I was somewhat tempted to add a little dab of "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green to the Romulans' skin as I've always envisaged their "Star Trek: The Next Generation" incarnations as having just such a hue in my mind's eye. However, considering just how difficult I found it simply 'dotting in' the odd eye on their faces, the last thing I wanted to do was make my brush-tip's job even more unenviable by splashing them the vibrant "Games Workshop" shade. Resultantly, I just finished the figures' disruptors and belts off with a touch of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and dash of Nuln Oil.
The Super War Early Bird Pledge
Ordinarily, I don't tend to harp on too much about current enterprises on "Kickstarter". But as I'm currently painting a generously-gifted pre-sale copy of Doc Cosmos by "Kitbash Games", it seemed extraordinarily rude not to give their "Supers Unlimited Miniatures" crowdfunding project a big shout-out. Described by Leon Mallett of "Pulp Citizen" blog fame as a "new range of miniatures for supers tabletop gaming", these "high-quality" resin models are specifically "designed to be size-compatible with many supers miniatures ranges and all characters will come with profiles for the Pulp City and Super Mission Force gaming systems!"

Having previously painted Punchline and Roughneck from this range, both of which spookily feature as stretch goals for this particular Kickstarter, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on more of Empire City's super-powered inhabitants and getting them onto my tabletop soon. In addition, for the "first three days only" the Super War Early Bird pledge will bag you both the Covenant of Justice and Shadow Axis teams, as well as the formidable-looking Granite...

16 comments:

  1. Great work on the Romulans Simon, Some interesting models in that range of Supers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Hopefully I can keep the flow of "Star Trek" minis going over the next few weeks. The "Supers" sculpts are awesome, imho, with some of the stretch goals set to go straight to the top of my painting queue if they can get unlocked :-)

      Delete
  2. The Romulans look good, even if they remind me of 50's rockers !
    I too have been looking at figures, but anything over £5 a figure (on special!) plus postage would have to be made out of a precious metal of some sort
    (edited for correcting)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I like both the old and new(ish) Romulans tbh. There are a couple of free stretch goals waiting to be unlocked which would make the Super War pledge even more vfm, but I totally appreciated different people have different budgets/financial constraints.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on the Romulan Simon. I am backing that Kitbash Games Kickstarter myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, and good to hear about the "Kitbash Games" Kickstarter. I see its almost reached its target already, so bring on those stretch goals :-)

      Delete
  4. Your Romulans have turned out well. I very much like the supers range but due to lack of funds, sadly this is one Kickstarter I must reluctantly pass on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Really enjoying my "Star Trek" currently, so more Romulans are on the way. I'm pretty sure "Kitbash Games" will have their range for sale post "Kickstarter" in case you do want to pick some up.

      Delete
  5. An excellent Romulan, time to play some Star Trek on line and dust off my Romulan character me thinks.
    The superhero figures look really good but don't fit in with my rule sets so I'll have to give them a miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I don't actually plan on using the "Supers Unlimited" for "Pulp City" myself, but for Weird War Two gaming :-)

      Delete
  6. I like those Romulans, they are very nice, really good job. Nice super hero minis, and I wish them well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. I should have some more Romulans finished soon, as they'll be the heroes of my opening "Star Trek" games. And doubtless you'll see many of the "Supers Unlimited" in the flesh following the end of a clearly very successful "Kickstarter".

      Delete
  7. Romulans are great - a force of these schemers will be lovely to see.

    Sup's are fun, but not my cup of tea. Prefer to imagine my heroes whilst playing rpg's like Champions or Marvel Super Heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dai. Ahh... the fun I had playing with "Golden Heroes" and "Marvel Super Heroes". Great times :-)

      Delete
  8. Always love any kind of throwback to TOS Star Trek 😀 Any thoughts, good or bad, on the new Wiz Kids (I think) Star Trek sets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ivor, I have the TOS Bridge Crew on my painting table currently. I did do a Battle Report using the TOS "Heroclix" set though, which can be found here: https://fantorical.blogspot.com/2018/03/wizkids-battle-report-star-trek-devil.html

      I've just bought the TNG "Heroclix" Starter Set, but not had a chance to open it. Unfortunately, though "Wizkids" are selling that as blind singles, rather than in boxes of five minis - making it incredibly expensive.

      Delete