Sunday 5 April 2020

"Nothin' In There, It's Clean..."

"What'd you expect? We're just covering the bases here..."
This pair of 28mm scale pre-painted plastic models of Gotham Policemen were produced by “Wizkids” and are both miniature number 001 from their DC  “Heroclix” Hypertime range. Created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger for "DC Comics", the G.C.P.D is led by Commissioner Gordon, and "has had a long love-hate relationship with the city's vigilante known as Batman." Indeed, Gordon's replacement, Commissioner Michael Akins actually "ordered the arrest of Batman and had the Bat-signal removed from the roof of Gotham Central." Both James Gordon and detective Harvey Bullock were reinstated in "DC Comics" 2006 comic book story-line "One Year Later".

Chopped from their 'clicky' stands and super-glued to a couple of 25mm circular bases, I carefully removed the sergeant stripes from off their left sleeves with a sharp modelling knife so as to simply mark them out as low-ranking law officers. The cops were then primed using a few coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and shaded in "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade.
 "Maybe I'm not being clear."
Each policeman's boots, holster, baton and pistol were 'picked out' with some "Citadel" Abaddon Black, whilst their firearms were later treated to a combination of Ironbreaker and Badab Black. I used some "Vallejo" Gold for the flatfoots' belt buckles, shoulder badges and cap badges, and subsequently washed these areas with a little Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter".

As I fancied slightly mixing up the two models' skin colours a little, I initially painted one of the figure's flesh with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, and the other with Charred Brown. However, I didn't like the way the rather watery "Vallejo" Charred Brown came out of its pot, so ended up mixing it with some "Citadel" Doombull Brown. All of these areas were later shaded using a dash of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
 "Adeptus Mechanicus" WIPs - The two Warhound Titans have been shaded and dry-brushed
With my last two additions to Gotham City Police's uniform department completed, I have turned my attention to painting all the metallic areas on my Warhound Titans for "Adeptus Titanicus" by "Games Workshop". I've kept the two 'massive' warmachines in sub-assemblies to help me reach some of each model's underside, and resultantly managed to get my paint-brush everywhere it has needed to go so far...

Because I knew I'd be heavily dry-brushing the metallic beasts, I've been able to be rather brutal with my application of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. In addition, I plan to apply some “Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash to parts of the "god-machines", not only to suggest the wear and tear of time (and the blessing of the Chaos God, Nurgle), but also to help cover up a couple of flaws caused in their assembly, where the plastic glue badly ate into some of the miniature's detail.

20 comments:

  1. Very impressive looking Gotham force Simon. The titans are off to a good start, so there becoming Nurgle ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Its only taken at least half a decade to get the GCPD finished, and I now need to do some of their SWAT officers at some point too. The titans will be from Legio Mortis, which follow Nurgle, but apart from a little rust here and there, I don't plan on doing anything else with them - unless in the future GW sell some conversion kits, or I buy a Great Unclear One and have some spare parts from that ;-)

      Delete
  2. That is quite the "roll call" of cops you have there now Simon, "Lets be careful out here!"

    And you Warhound project looks like it has legs too!

    Sorry I'll fetch me coat. ;-)

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger, LOL!!! The cops are just in time to investigate a mysterious flying object landing in Central Park ;-)

      Delete
  3. Nice reinforcements to your Law Enforcement division

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lets just hope those coppers can shoot better than Stormtroopers, otherwise Gotham's in trouble!

    Its an impressive group shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy, and really good to have you back commenting :-)

      Delete
    2. Simon, I've lost all the emails I used to have for fellow bloggers so can only tell you I've started a new blog via your comments.

      I've just posts a 4AD report - though its a bit wordy and features no photos of painted figures yet. Here's a blog address if you're interested.

      https://theblogtillideleteit.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    3. No probs Roy. Following you :-)

      Delete
  5. Nice group of police officers, looking impressive en masse! Glad the Titans are coming along nicely. In the game the Titans are fairly normal looking at the moment as the setting is the early part of the Horus Heresy. However, the latest supplement mentions Corrupted Titans, so I think some new parts for "proper" chaos titans won't be too far away. That should allow you to apply your lovely Nurgle scheme to your hearts content!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I've got a fair few more special forces etc to paint and add to this collection, but the generic cops are finally done. I'll certainly be sticking to the basic colours of the Legio Mortis for these guys. But who knows what the future might bring ;-)

      Delete
  6. That's an impressive lot of policemen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grand job Simon, a force to be reckoned with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Certainly enough cops now to be getting on with.

      Delete
  8. Well done finishing off more cops for this rather large force and the Tutans are coming along too - you have been busy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the cops. Hope those poor mooks don't end up too badly as fodder ingame. :/

    AT looks like such a pretty game, but goodness those prices. I adored the original from the 80's though and have been at least a little tempted - thankfully my good wife is there to tether me to a post with threats of beatings should my resolve on this waver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm hoping the Cops will be back-up rather than fodder tbh. AT looks excellent indeed, and I only wilted myself with this latest starter set for, as you say, its damn expensive ordinarily.

      Delete