Wednesday 28 April 2021

“Wolves Tend To Shy Away From Humans…”

“…But a few will occasionally wander down into the city in search of prey.”

This quartet of 28mm scale metal Wolves are produced by “North Star Military Figures” and can be bought as code FGX003 from their “Frostgrave" range. The Nottingham-based manufacturer actually produces five different variants of Canis lupus. But this set only includes a random selection of four of them.

Initially, I had hoped to super-glue the large canines onto 28mm circular lipped bases. However, because the majority of the figures had been sculpted moving on all fours, I ultimately had to settle on them being permanently attached to 40mm lipped stands instead. Once in position, they were all primed with a couple of layers of “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey, before having the tops of their fur sponged in Dark Grey with a torn piece of blister foam.

"Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know."

Each wolf was then washed in “Citadel” Nuln Oil and dry-brushed with (more) “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey. Whilst this paint was still wet though, I also dry-brushed each animal from the top down with “Vallejo” Dark Grey, allowing the two colours to meet, mix and taper off once my brush started to approach each beast’s legs and underbelly.

In addition, I ‘picked out’ each wolf’s nose and eyes with a few dabs of “Citadel” Abaddon Black. To be honest I was rather underwhelmed with the sculpting of these miniatures’ faces, as I was fully prepared to apply either some red or white to their tongues and fangs, yet found no such detail being evidently available – even on those whose mouths were wide open as they bayed at the Moon.

"Zealot Miniatures" WIPs - The Stone Golem's bracelets have been base-coated, layered and shaded

Having completed my feral carnivores, I have made some more progress on a Stone Golem I recently purchased from “Zealot Miniatures”. I had originally intended to simply make this two-piece resin enchanted construct all stone, but have since had a change of mind, and subsequently started working on it wearing a pair of ‘magical’ weathered brass bracelets.

For now I’ve simply laid down a base layer of “Vallejo” Heavy Sienna, over which I’ve applied a coat of Brass and “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade. However, this metallic colour is already providing an excellent contrast to the somewhat monotonous grey-look of the impressively-sized statue, and that’s before I’ve added the patina effect to its superbly-detailed wrist jewellery…

No comments:

Post a Comment