Saturday 22 May 2021

“The Bulk Of Saruman's Legions Are Composed Of Uruk-hai.”

 “Some of the most deadly and savage warriors in Middle-Earth.”

This 28mm scale metal Uruk-hai armed with a crossbow is manufactured by "Games Workshop", and is one of four differently-posed missile models sculpted for their Forces of Isengard range. Back in the day the figure came as one of three randomly chosen models in a single "The Lord Of The Rings" blister, but I actually picked up this particular warrior second-hand at some Wargaming Show.

Saruman’s super-strong orc had actually been previously primed (presumably with “Citadel” Chaos Black), as well as had all of its armour and hand-weapon layered, shaded and dry-brushed, during one of my painting sessions a decade ago. As a result I simply applied the modern day colour equivalents of "Scale 75" Decayed Metal, Thrash Metal and “Citadel” Nuln Oil to these areas whenever my errant painting required tidying up.

"Rocket Pig Games" WIPs - This WoodWard has been primed, shaded and dry-brushed

I then gave the brutal warrior's legs, arms and chin a coat of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel” Agrax Earthshade, before 'picking out' the savage soldier's shoes, loincloth, hair, gloves, straps, belt, pouches and crossbow with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. In addition, I treated the brute’s knife sheath to a little “Vallejo” Heavy Brown and highlighted his teeth in White. Both of these areas were later washed with (more) “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade.

In addition to my latest Uruk-hai I have been making some fine progress on a couple of my 3D printed resin miniatures designed by “Rocket Pig Games”. The WoodWard is probably going to end up as one of the stalwarts of my ‘Nature’ force, so I’ve been testing out some straightforward dry-brushing on him as I’ll doubtless end up asking “FullyCycled” to print me off some more in the near future.

"Rocket Pig Games" WIPs - This Clockwork Mage is slowly having its details 'picked out'

The Clockwork Mage on the other hand will be the leader of a predominantly robotic force determined to invade the living world. I plan to make the vast majority of this army “Vallejo” Brass and Gunmetal, so have been busy studying the sculpt’s details to establish where I can separate the two different metallic colours from one another – a difficult prospect for a figure whose mechanical appendages appear to ‘melt’ into one another.

These two models also demonstrate one of my frustrations with not knowing how big the “Rocket Pig Games” miniatures will be until they arrive upon my doorstep. For example, I have already settled upon having “FullyCycled” print me off any humanoid-sized characters in 32mm scale, so the Clockwork Mage stands at 48mm in height with his fiery hands raised above his head. However, some of the other figures I have bought in 40mm scale so as to ‘dwarf’ this sorcerer have actually turned out to be significantly smaller than the magic user, such as the so-called Fungal Giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment