Wednesday 26 May 2021

“The Komodo Dragon Is The Largest Living Lizard Species.”

“Adult Komodo Dragons eat smaller members of their own species and sometimes even other adults.”

This 28mm scale metal model of a Large Lizard is made by “North Star Military Figures” and can be bought together with a significantly smaller Snapping Turtle as code FGA402 from their “Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago” range. The miniature was purchased as part of the company’s highly successful Nickstarter in October 2017, but has since sat somewhat unloved in one of my drawers on account of how disappointed I was in the sculpt’s actual size.

Despite only being 12mm in height, the figure had to be super-glued on to a plastic 50mm circular base in order to accommodate its long tail. The lizard was then primed with “Vallejo” Heavy Grey, sporadically shaded in “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade and Biel-Tan Green, and dry-brushed with (more) “Vallejo” Heavy Grey. Finally, I picked out the creature’s eyes with two simple spots of “Citadel” Abaddon Black.

"Battletech" WIPs - A Mist Lynx Prime, a Wasp and a Valkyrie

Thanks to my monitor lizard being completed so quickly, I have found some time to re-base and prime some of my recently-arrived “Battletech” robots by “Catalyst Games Labs”. I actually pre-ordered these plastic 6mm scale (1:285) models way back in November 2020 from “Zatu Games” with the hope of assembling a few Weird War Two mechs for some homemade rules, so I have quickly chopped the four smallest off of their hexagonal stands and attached them to “Citadel” 40mm round bases instead.

Doubtless such a move is utter heresy to those gamers who enjoy FASA Corporation’s military science fiction franchise. However, I’m not planning on ever playing the actual game, even though I do believe I own the BattleTech Beginner Box, and simply wanted some reasonably cheap pre-built battle-suits to paint up in the various colour schemes of the Axis and Allies forces.

"Rocket Pig Games" WIPs - This Clockwork Owlbeast has been layered, shaded and dry-brushed

To begin with I’m going to just focus on a Wasp, Mist Lynx Prime, Stinger and Valkyrie, dividing the quartet up into a Russian, American and (two) German battlemechs. All of these models will have pretty plain palettes to be honest, as I want to get them ready for the tabletop (and perhaps some super-tiny decals) as quickly as possible, before moving on to some of the range’s middle-sized miniatures.

Lastly, I am continuing to make steady progress on a number of my “Rocket Pig Games” resin figures 3D printed by "FullyCycled". As usual I have initially tried to pigment a handful of sculpts taken from the range simultaneously and then found myself predominantly focusing upon the needs of just one lone, single figure – in this case the meticulously detailed Clockwork Owlbeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment