Wednesday 2 June 2021

(Lead) Mountain Musings - "Forgotten Heroes" June 2021

"The Horus Heresy is a dark, far future military space opera."

Due to this month's effort to chisel away at my ‘elevation of inspiration’ being strongly influenced by the annual “Forgotten Heroes” challenge over on the “Carrion Crow’s Buffet” website, I will be chiefly focusing my hobby time upon a selection of 15mm figures from “The Ion Age” miniatures range by "Alternative Armies". However, rather than simply paint the human soldiers up in the colours of the Prydian Army, I’ll actually be turning them into suitable proxies with which to refight the famous Horus Heresy of Warhammer 40,000 lore.

As I’ve previously started just such a project in the past, I thought I’d initially crack on with an already partially-pigmented 28mm Noble of Prydia and a converted Retained Knight with an Octa Powered Sword. Despite the fact that the ratio between these Primarchs’ great size in comparison to the range’s 15mm knights is somewhat off, I thought the duo would still rather nicely replicate the dastardly traitor Horus Lupercal and the Emperor of Mankind’s eternally loyal Sanguinius respectively.

"Games Workshop" WIPs - Saruman is slowly having his detail 'picked out'

In addition, I hope to get a lick of “Vallejo” Heavy Red paint upon a handful of other figures from “The Ion Age” range so as to create a small contingent of Blood Angels, whilst doing something similar, potentially using Heavy Bluegrey with a "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green shade, for the Sons of Horus. I might even manage to stretch to the odd vehicle, battle-tank or armoured suit, as I have done previously when building a small force of Crimson Fist Adeptus Astartes and Imperial Guard.

Lastly, I still have a handful of models from “The Lord Of The Rings” by “Games Workshop” to finish off so as to complete my 500 point Isengard army for the Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game. All the figures are already half-complete, albeit my figure of the White Wizard, Saruman, will need some rework on his robes after the watered-down wash of “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade proved far less successful in projecting a slightly grubby cloth than I had hoped.

May 2021 - "Games Workshop" elbow their way into my Top Five Manufacturers for the first time in years

The next few weeks should prove particularly productive due to my first foray into the wonderful world of 3D printed models, utilising “FullyCycled” services to manufacture me several sculpts taken from “Rocket Pig Games” brilliantly visualised fantasy range. Despite having had a few problems snapping off the wrong bit here and there whilst cleaning the disconcertingly brittle figures up, I’ve been thoroughly enjoying applying a brush to them, and have several more planned for the very near future.

Likewise, it would seem my enthusiasm for easily the hobby’s most recognisable brand has finally returned with something of a vengeance, so along with my partially-pigmented Uruk-Hai from J.R.R. Tolkien’s world, it may well be that a few more “Blood Bowl” players might be readied for a lick of varnish and static grass…

No comments:

Post a Comment