Thursday 24 June 2021

“The Blood Angels… Were A Crimson-Clad Legion Of The Adeptus Astartes.”

“While they thrive as a well-known and iconic Imperial force in the 41st Millennium..."

These six 15mm miniatures are nowadays sold by “Alternative Armies” as part of their "The Ion Age" selection deal IAF008 Retained Knight Post Charlie, and are all armed with Angis Rifles. Operating within the Prydian Army as Lances of twenty-two men, I've actually painted these figures to proxy some Horus Heresy Blood Angels from the "Warhammer 40K" universe as part of “Forgotten Heroes” month.

Resultantly, each trio of metal models was based upon a medium-sized plastic "Flames Of War" stand by “Battlefront Miniatures” and undercoated with "Vallejo" Heavy Red. I then heavily washed the ‘beaky’ space marines with "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson before dry-brushing them with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Red.

"...This survival was not always guaranteed.”
Each figure's formidable-looking firearm was subsequently layered with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, and later treated to a combination of “Vallejo" Gunmetal and “Citadel” Nuln Oil. I also took a size 000 “Winsor & Newton University Brush Series 233 and placed a small amount of “Citadel” Abaddon Black along the eye-ridge of each miniature’s helmet to provide their visors with the suggestion of shadow.

Lastly, I had to take some Green Stuff and make several long, thin sausages which I could wrap around the super-chunky stands of the models. This two-component modelling clay was then flattened at a somewhat sharp angle to help each Retained Knight attain a smoother surface with the medium base before it was gritted with fine sand, painted and eventually flocked with static grass.

"The Ion Age" WIPs - Three more Retained Knights have been primed, ready for detailing

I had actually hoped to have progressed a few more infantry stands for “Forgotten Heroes” by now, as well as completed a handful of resin support vehicles too. However, having discovered that I had apparently exhausted my supply of certain figure poses and Black Adder Combat Lifters, I realised that I would need to seek “Alternative Armies” help in providing some ‘reinforcements’ if I was to add a bit more variety to the look of my ‘beaky’ marines.

Unfortunately, despite the company sending me my additional infantry miniatures, some super-sized Grey Adder APC Battle Taxi Lifters, and some much-appreciated freebie Space Brains in quick order, I was mistakenly sent some Combat Cars rather than the Combat Lifters I was after. This error was quickly addressed, but has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for the project, and I am still waiting for my three Fretan-type Railgun turreted vehicles to arrive…

No comments:

Post a Comment