Thursday 29 December 2022

"Instruct All Regenerated Cybermen To Evacuate The Ship."

"You will return to Cybercontrol and inform main fleet of our intention."

These four 28mm scale Cybermen were sculpted by "Big Mr Tong" and can be downloaded for free as part of a ten-figure set of STL (Standard Triangle Language) files from his "Patreon" subscription service. Based upon Eric Saward's incarnation of the Mondasians as first seen in his March 1982 "Doctor Who" story "Earthshock", the miniatures were produced using "Elegoo" Water Washable Resin on a Mars 3 Pro 3D Printer.

Having been washed, cured and then removed from their supports (applied through "Chitubox" Basic following each figure being rotated at a thirty degree angle), the silver giants were undercoated in "Citadel" Abaddon Black and given a double-helping of "Vallejo" Gunmetal. The models were then washed using "Citadel" Nuln Oil, dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Gunmetal, and treated to a combination of "Scalecolor" Speed Metal and "Citadel" Flesh Tearers Red on their hand-weapons’ power cylinders.

"Big Mr Tong" WIPs - Four of ten Sardaukar which have been primed and dry-brushed

Somewhat disappointingly, these miniatures are only half the number of "Big Mr Tong" sculpts I had intended to enter into the Thirteenth Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge for its opening week, Luckily, I have provided myself with some leeway in my overall schedule of submissions so as to achieve my target of 500 points (approximately one hundred 28mm figures). But it certainly hasn't been the flying start I was hoping for.

As a result I aim to knuckle down over the next few days and pigment ten of the prolific Patreon-based sculptor's Sardaukar models (from David Lynch's 1984 American science-fiction film "Dune"), replicating the simple palette I devised on a test model late last month. This should help me get somewhat back on track, and provide me with a little 'wriggle room' when it comes to old/new model ranges or rule-sets unexpectedly distracting from my main focus.

"Warlord Games" WIPs - Three Yeti which now need their eyes and claws 'picking out'

One such 'interruption' has definitely been "Warlord Games" announcement that their soon to be deleted "Doctor Who" range was having a "Last Chance Clearance" sale, with all their metal sets suddenly being sold at half-price. I had actually convinced myself that I had bought all the miniatures I wanted from their "End Of Time" offer - having repeatedly pillaged the Nottingham-based company's Mythic Americas collection in order to qualify for the free figures I wanted.

However, this latest deal prompted me to 'pick up' several more Mire, Movellans, Headless Monks, Ogrons, Tetraps and even a Pyrovile to help bolster my forces, and additionally grant me access to a second set of free Yeti. These 48mm tall robots were an absolute joy to paint in the past, and this time round will be pigmented predominantly using colours taken from the "Duncan Rhodes Two Thin Coats" range so as to bring a little contrast to my formidably-sized furry 'sixsome.'

No comments:

Post a Comment