Saturday 14 January 2023

"Why Have You Brought Me Here?"

"You forced me to come here and set things straight... personally."

This quartet of 28mm scale Sardaukar were sculpted by "Big Mr Tong" and can be downloaded for free as part of a ten-figure set of STL (Standard Triangle Language) files from his "Patreon" subscription service. Based upon David Lynch's vision of the "elite military force of the Padishah Emperor" as first seen in his 1984 American science-fiction film "Dune", the miniatures were produced using "Elegoo" Water Washable Resin on a Mars 3 Pro 3D Printer.

The models were undercoated in "Citadel" Abaddon Black, and enthusiastically dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal. Their belts were then 'picked out using a thin line of "Vallejo" Steel Blue, and their lasguns with Gunmetal. As a final touch, each figure was unsympathetically sloshed in "Citadel" Nuln Oil (so as to recreate the smoky black appearance of their survival suits as seen on the Big Screen) and their distinctive green face-visor fabricated using a combination of "Scalecolor" White Alchemy and the "Citadel" Contrast paint Warp Lightning.

"Warlord Games" WIPs - These three Yeti are just having their claws 'picked out'

I still have another four more Sardaukar to finish for the Thirteenth Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (AHPC). But I plan to take a short sojourn from them for a little while. However, one of the things which has impressed me so much with these figures, or rather the "Elegoo" Water Washable Resin, is how well they take superglue whenever a small piece snaps off. This unit's commander suffered just such a fate with his weapon, and I did think I'd have to reprint him. Surprisingly though, a small amount of superglue did the job instead, and despite the small contact point the model has subsequently survived both a heavy dry-brushing, as well as frequent handling.

To break up the "Big Mr Tong" factory process I've successfully developed for the AHPC, I've turned my attention upon the trio of Yeti I recently received as a freebie from "Warlord Games". These 48mm tall metal "Doctor Who" figures have proved interesting test pieces for "Duncan Rhodes Two Thin Coats" range, especially when it comes to the colour White Star.

"Games Workshop" WIPs - These Castellans Of Dol Guldur have been primed and dry-brushed

I've actually changed my technique for pigmenting these classic monsters, having learnt some valuable lessons from when I previously tackled three of them, by applying the paint straight over the entirety of the killer robots' claws without worrying about hitting their black paws. This has helped me see each sculpt's detail much clearer once they were treated to some Battle Mud Wash. But has resulted in all the miniatures getting their previously finished fur splattered in micro-dots of White Star - Which disappointing means I'm going to need to tidy their torsos up again before they are complete.

Lastly, with my eye firmly fixed upon the AHPC World Cinema Bonus Round, I have set to work on a blister of Castellans of Dol Guldur by "Games Workshop". These "formidable Minor Heroes" will actually be used as proxy Black Numenorean Warriors for my Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game Barad-Dur army as the Nottingham-based company strangely no longer seem to sell them. In addition, they'll tie-in rather nicely as representing a Silver Screen production which was filmed "elsewhere in the world from where you live now."

No comments:

Post a Comment