Sunday 8 October 2023

"Nameless And With No Will Of Their Own..."

"...The Castellans of Dol Guldur are but one facet of the Cursed Tower’s sleepless malice who now serve Mordor."

This 28mm metal Castellan of Dol Guldur is produced by "Games Workshop", and can be bought as part of a three-figure blister from their Dark Powers of Dol Guldur miniatures range. "Faceless spirits that have fallen to the control of the Nazgul", I actually plan to use it as a Black Númenórean for my Barad Dur army having discovered that the Nottingham-based company no longer manufacture such figures for "The Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game".

The first of my entries into this year's Zomtober challenge was originally given an undercoat of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, before being enthusiastically dry-brushed with “Vallejo” Heavy Charcoal and drenched in "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then, in contrast to how I have previously painted my Castellans, 'picked out' his belt with a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade.

"Games Workshop" WIPs - The Mouth of Sauron has been primed, base-coated, shaded and dry-brushed

Furthermore, I layered the miniature's ornate armour, sword and Morgul Blade using some “Vallejo” Gunmetal, sploshed these with “Citadel” Nuln Oil and later dry-brushed these areas with (more) “Vallejo” Gunmetal. In the past I've next applied a little “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade to my ghostly warriors' armour plates, helmet, gloves and boots. But on this occasion I decided to apply some "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade to these various regions first before sploshing them with Reikland Fleshshade.

Other bloggers taking part in Zomtober 2023 are:

PMPainting

Cheaphammer

Pmackay140215

Games_with_graven & Graven's Bloggit

Rantings From Under The Wargames Table

Dead Lead Project

Wargames Terrain Workshop

Miniature Mayhem

Sticking with Zomtober, I have also made some progress on a couple more of the miniatures I aim to complete as part of this month's challenge - The Mouth of Sauron (Foot & Mounted) by "Games Workshop". These metal figures were bought second-hand many moons ago, and were seemingly made 'paint-ready' during one of the recent Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenges (AHPC) I've participated in. As a result, I'm hoping to power through "the Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr" within the next week or so.

"Pendraken Miniatures" WIPs - This King Tiger is slowly having its details 'picked out'

In addition, I've begun working in earnest on a vast array of different 10mm World War Two armoured vehicles by "Pendraken Miniatures" which I've bought at this year's Salute and Colours. Foremost amongst all the Shermans, Matildas and Humbers are a pair of seriously hefty Tiger II tanks, which are destined to join my Axis forces attempting "the last major German offensive campaign on the Western Front."

Having perused the painted pictures on the manufacturer's website I believe this particular duo of Königstigers are sporting Henschel turrets, as rather frustratingly it doesn't actually say on the clamshell's packaging and there's a few variants of this particular Panzerkampfwagen design available in the range - an infuriating omission which sadly plagues quite a few of their shows' wares. Happily however, the multi-piece models were pretty simple to assemble, so have been quickly based, primed and base-coated...

No comments:

Post a Comment