Saturday, 3 October 2026

"Crudely Built But Capable Of Taking Quite A Beating..."

"...The tank crushes and barrels its way around a battlefield."

These two 15mm scale Space Goblins' vehicles are sold by “Alternative Armies” and can be purchased as Pack Code IAF046 Infernus Tank - Malig Ball Tank from the company’s "The Ion Age" range. Supplied as a multi-piece metal and resin kit, they are armed with both Charon Fire Projectors, Maia Guns and also come with a 50mm resin scenic base.

However, once assembled each model was actually super-glued on to a large-sized plastic "Flames Of War" stand by “Battlefront Miniatures”, and subsequently primed in "Citadel" Abaddon Black. They were then base-layered in "Vallejo" Gunmetal. I did momentarily consider using "Vallejo" Heavy Red - as that seemed more in keeping with a Goblin force. But in the end decided to stick with the 'official' colour scheme instead; at least for these first two miniatures.

"It's two hull halves spinning while the centre remains stationary."

"Often deployed in support of Malig Tesserans", the assault rollers were drowned in “Citadel” Nuln Oil, before receiving a heavy dry-brush of (more) "Vallejo" Gunmetal. I next splodged some heavily watered down "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna over their 'hull halves' and later pigmented the centre portion with pure "Citadel" Abaddon Black.

To be honest, the most difficult part of getting these quite hefty Infernus Tanks tabletop ready was attaching the two outer parts of the vehicle to their (stationary) middle. All of these pieces were made of cast resin and without any guide-markers or slots, it was rather hard to get each ensemble properly aligned with one another before the super-glue set fast. In the end both of the models were a little wonky, so I ended up using some green-stuff on their base to help balance them up for the human eye not to notice.

"Alternative Armies" WIPs - The (backwards) Runner Drone and Female Retained Veteran

In addition to these formidable additions to my evil Shia Khan Legion, I have also begun work on a much smaller stand of infantry for my Prydian Army - largely inspired by a female Inquisitor adorned in power armour from the "Warhammer 40K" universe. Resultantly I am plan to plonk a Taranis (Jammer) Runner Drone alongside a Female Retained Veteran, and use the duo as another 'hero' base for my non-canon games of 15mm Horus Heresy.

Rather embarrassingly though, I've already noticed that I have permanently affixed the drone's mechanical legs back-to-front, so the pose's two headlights are now facing to its rear. This error on my behalf is incredibly annoying; albeit I strongly doubt it'll actually be noticeable to anyone who looks at the two-figure unit once its been fully painted, glued together, flocked and had static grass applied to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment