Sunday 26 June 2016

"-- Oh My Stars And Garters!"

"How could anyone forget the bombastic beast?!"
This 28mm pre-painted plastic model of Beast is by “Wizkids” and can be bought as number 005 from their “Heroclix” Marvel: Danger Room Collector Set. Originally introduced as a “mutant possessing ape-like superhuman strength and ability”, the Avenger would eventually transform into a blue-furred super-hero with pointed ears, fangs, claws and a genius-level intellect. Hank McCoy was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, and made his first appearance in the September 1963 opening issue of “X-Men” by “Marvel Comics Group”.

Having removed Beast from his ‘clicky-stand’ and super-glued it onto a 25mm round base, the model was undercoated with “Vallejo” Heavy Blue. The figure was then heavily washed with “Citadel” Asurmen Blue before its raised areas of fur were carefully dry-brushed using more “Vallejo” Heavy Blue. The acrobatic mutant’s ‘X-Man’ belt was painted with Heavy Ochre and Heavy Red. Before his dark blue shorts were ‘picked out’ using a combination of Heavy Blue and “Citadel” Nuln Oil.
"Heroclix" WIPs - Spider-Man and the Human Torch should should be finished. Cappy will take longer
 With the first of my “Dice Masters” inspired super-heroes finished, I have been able to spend a little more time progressing the other three characters initially used within the Avengers Verses X-Men dice building game’s rulebook. Johnny Storm still has some way to go before all of his model’s many flames have been ‘picked out’ with “Vallejo” Heavy Orange, and I have only managed to finish the standing stone and red boots on my Captain America “Heroclix” figure.

However a little test on one of Spider-Man’s feet using a combination of “Vallejo” Dark Vermillion and “Citadel” Nuln Oil in order to replicate the Wall-crawler’s webbed costume appears to have worked very well, and helped me decide to finish painting Peter Parker’s alter-ego up next.
More "Heroclix" WIPs - Based and primed: Storm, Iron Man and the mighty Thor
Lastly I have spent some time basing and priming a few more “Heroclix” figures based upon the remaining characters found within the “Wizkids” collectible dice game’s AvX Starter Set. Something of a mixed bunch, I actually had to seek out this model of Storm from across the Pond, after I felt the version of Ororo Munroe which I already owned (from the Marvel Danger Room Collector Set) was rather diminutive in scale. Fortunately I am far happier with my sculpts of Iron Man and Thor, even if Tony Stark’s armoured form is probably a little too large, and the bearded God of Thunder isn't disappointingly wearing his 'classic' Jack Kirby costume.

18 comments:

  1. All good stuff Simon beast looks great now he's finished, some interesting versions of the other minis too, apart from Spiderman I don't think I've seen any of these versions of the other figs (though I might have that version of storm, or not it's hard to see now she's painted all black).

    But how are you finding the time to paint these? I'm going full pelt to get my three FH mini's finished by Thursday, and it's still very much touch and go whether I'll make it!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I'm very pleased with Beast and certainly hope to have the other 'three' finished soon so I can do a BatRep based upon "Dice Masters"; my fave game at present. I have one more 'Forgotten Heroes' WIP article left (which'll actually be Saturday, so a little late), and then I'll simply be posting up the finished minis one at a time over the following weeks. Plus I've usually got a few painted minis ready to post on my shelf, so these WIPs are a little 'old'.

      Delete
  2. I love Beastie in that pose, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to surprise me with the wierd and wonderful.
    I'm beginning to think that you have an unlimited supply of these for our delictation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I do have a few "Heroclix" yet to paint I must admit...

      Delete
  4. As I was first introduced to the Beast as a member of the Avengers, this is the form and outfit I consider definitive. A nice sculpt and a very nice paint job.
    Not so keen on the Spidey and Cap sculpts, but I do like all the rest. Even though it's not the definitive Thor, that's a lovely sculpt.
    And I'm intrigued by Dicemasters, si looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. I'm not terribly keen on the Captain America sculpt myself. But like Spidey's well enough as he's rather dynamic-looking. "Dice Masters" is my fave rule set by far currently, even overshadowing "Zombicide: Black Plague"; so once these four minis are finished you can expect plenty of BatReps using the rules :-)

      Delete
  5. Beast looks great...and I love the Cap and Spidey figs. Great poses. Look forward to seeing the painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avengers Assemble!

    For a Gyro and fries.

    I like this collection! Shaping up very nicely. Darn you for posting stuff and making me want to paint up some similar topic'd minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Lots of Mutants, metahumans and capes to come, so get painting 'em ;-)

      Delete
  7. I like all of the heroes you're painting here, Simon. Some of them are very dynamically posed (Beast and Spiderman particularly) but even the more statically posed figures (like Captain America) have something going for them. I'm looking forward to seeing them on the gaming table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Glad you like them. Plenty still need quite a bit of work on them before they're finished. But I'm getting there...

      Delete
  8. Love the Beast figure. I'm looking forward to the Thor paintjob. It isn't my favourite Thor outfit, but it does make me all nostalgic as he wore it at the height of my teenage comic book collecting years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natholeon. Beast is a cracking sculpt imho. Hopefully Thor won't be too far behind either.

      Delete