Monday 27 March 2017

"It Has The Soft, Sticky And Mottled Body Of A Pallid Slug..."

"Beasts of Nurgle are always looking for new friends to play with."
This 28mm scale "finely detailed resin cast kit" of a Beast of Nurgle is made by “Games Workshop”, comes as seven separate "Finecast" components and contains no instructions for assembly whatsoever. Fortunately however, I have already previously built such "a horror on the battlefield" for my Nurgle Host, so was able to use my earlier model as a guide for the super-glue...

Having put my "curious and inquisitive pet" together, and attached it to a 60mm plastic base, I undercoated it with plenty of "Vallejo" Heavy Brown before dousing it in "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. The Beast of Nurgle was then dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Heavy Brown and had both it's claws and tusks painted in Iraqi Sand. These areas were subsequently also washed with Strong Tone Quickshade.
British Tanks WIPs - A Grant, Crusader III and Crusader II
In order to make the "immense slug-like" monstrosity appear somewhat similar in colour to its predecessor, I added some "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson and Biel-Tan Green to different areas of the creature's rubbery flesh. Indeed, in order to ensure the nightmarish conglomeration's colour palette tied into that of the rest of my "Age Of Sigmar" Rotbringers, I even 'picked out' some of its pimples with a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade.

With this latest addition to my ever-increasing Tallyband of Nurgle finished, I have momentarily allowed myself to be distracted by the "Battle Of El Alamein - War In The Desert" Battle Box. Produced by "Battlefront Miniatures", this introduction to "Flames Of War" comes with five tanks, and I have already assembled those belonging to the British.
The 2T(fru)T virus returns to seek revenge upon Mega-City One's finest lawman
To be honest I'm a little worried as to just how much of a diversion this 15mm World War Two rule-set is going to be, as I had tremendous fun simply gluing together a couple of Crusader tanks, and ensuring that one was a Mark II with a 2 pounder gun, and the other a Mark III with a far more formidable 6 pounder. The kits even come with some wonderfully detailed, albeit tiny, commanders, so I have added one to my Crusader III to make it stand out even more on the battlefield.

The British forces also come with a Grant tank, and whilst this model's guide doesn't allow for any 'options' as the Crusaders did, it was an absolute pleasure to put together. In fact, I've been so taken with these armoured vehicles, that I've already managed to prime them all, wash them, and almost finish their dry-brushing, as well as ordered a 3 x 3 wargames terrain Desert cloth mat from "Deep-Cut Studios"...

34 comments:

  1. You certainly keep yourself busy, Simon. Karanak - done. Beast of Nurgle - done. And now some tanks too. And a JD batrep coming up as well. Very productive. RL has conspired against me over the past week...but at least my garden's tidy. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. I'm certainly on a bit of a roll currently, and have a few more "AOS" posts to come now I've finished my Blightlord. Hopefully the BatRep will be up next week...

      Delete
  2. Great beast of Nurgle Simon, the tanks are coming along nicely, and look forward to the batrep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I'm trying to clear some room on the table in order to fit a large ape and a dragon I want to paint ;-)

      Delete
    2. I wonder which ones they could be ! ;)

      Delete
    3. They're sculpted by some talented chap, whose website I simply happened upon late last year ;-)

      Delete
    4. I wonder if I can get him to do some freelance work for me as I've got loads to do ! LOL

      Delete
  3. Yuck! In a good way you understand! Great job Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I do enjoy a good Beast of Nurgle :-)

      Delete
  4. Could you have two more diverse subjects - I doubt it.

    The 'mud monster' Nurgle has just the right appearance for something emerging from a swam.
    I did think the tanks looked finished and as I found even painting my own (way back when) beyond difficult, I 'm very impressed,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Joe. I do enjoy the Beast of Nurgle as a painting subject I must confess. Still quite a bit of work to do on the Tanks, but as you say, they'll do for now to try out the quick-start rules I own.

      Delete
  5. Apart from the title... I thought you were describing me. A great blog. Zombies, Nurgle and tanks.
    Try this link.... http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ hours of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Vampifan has a lot to answer for. Dredd seems to be making a come back.

    I am now regretting giving my 20mm Western Desert British away. Just because I do like your tanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, although tbh it was Dave's fault for sending me a Tweak to paint, and then Gordon's for making me aware of "Mutants and Death Ray Guns".

      You gave away a 20mm Desert Army... oh dear. You could be seeing quite a few posts about the Desert Rats over the coming months if this project takes off!!

      Delete
    2. In that case I may do some 20mm WW2 as well... Maybe Italian!

      Delete
    3. Splendid stuff Clint. I'll desperately try and keep tempting you ;-)

      Delete
  7. I didn't expect to see WW2 tanks on your blog, much less ones in 15mm. But such diversity is what your blog is all about so I really shouldn't be that surprised. :-)

    Suffice to say, I'm very much looking forward to seeing your upcoming Judge Dredd batrep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I never know what the next subject is going to be for painting myself :-) Hopefully the rules I'll be using for Dredd and Tweak will be of interest.

      Delete
  8. I do like those Nurgle beasts there is an almost "Chinese Dragon" vibe to them in my opinion.

    And 15mm WW2 desert stuff that takes me back I have a small(ish) Afrika Corp army in the loft (20mm) and the tanks for a 8th army opposition force half painted too, never got round to buying the figures to with them though for some reason lost to the annuals of time.

    you never know you might inspire me to finish them.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Roger. I was hoping to paint up a third Beast of Nurgle, but "Games Workshop" have suddenly stopped selling them :-(

      I'd be delighted to inspire you to finish such a great sounding project. I much admired all the re-based WW2 stuff you posted about a while ago.

      Delete
  9. Busy busy busy! Been hankering after a Deep Cut Studio desert mat myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. The desert mat has arrived and looks just the job too!!

      Delete
  10. Suitably icky - well done on the Beast of Nurgle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Lovely beasty Simon and who doesn't love tanks?
    I really want to see the dragon and ape, Dave's Coatl looks amazing, if only I could afford it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Andy. I do like to try and bring some variety to my articles ;-)

      I'm hoping to pick up and paint a few of Dave's bigger beasties this year, and post some seriously large BatReps as a result.

      Delete
  12. The Beast of nurgle looks fab and is one of my favourite models for Nurgle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. Its one of my fave models too. I do hope the reason "GW" are saying its currently out of stock isn't because they've thinking of changing the sculpt!!

      Delete
  13. O goodness... Don't fall all that deeply into the 15mm pit! I will say though that those new plastic kits look very crisp. My own desert 8th Army boys are sobbing with neglect. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of !5mm Desert War minis to come Dai - all tanks for now, but some AT-Guns and infantry are on the cards too. Both Desert Rates and Afrika Korps ;-)

      Delete