Tuesday 13 November 2018

"In A Term Of Near A Millennium..."

"...The brightness of the stars was once more the promise of Humanity."
This 15mm scale white metal and resin vehicle is manufactured by “The Ion Age” and is model IAF035B Yellow Adder Combat Car from the company’s Prydian Army Vehicles range. Typically entering the battlefield with "a crew of two", I equipped this Fire Support variant with a twin Anda 60mm Missile Pod in a turret and actually painted the automobile's underside before super-gluing the model upon a large “Battlefront Miniatures” plastic stand.

However, having recently experienced some issues with the colour scheme I have previously applied to my two other transports, I decided to actually 'pilot' a much darker palette to this particular conveyance and therefore replaced my usual two coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey with "Vallejo" Dark Grey instead. I then washed the entire "four wheeled light" transport with “Citadel” Nuln Oil and set about giving the four-wheeled vehicle a heavy dry-brush with (more) "Vallejo" Dark Grey.
Nox WIPs - The Khanate soldier has been primed, shaded, dry-brushed and detailed
Slightly dissatisfied with the highlighting, I subsequently added an extra step to my usual painting pattern by adding some "Vallejo" Dead White to my Dark Grey and then applied this slightly lighter shade over the model courtesy of a second dry-brush. With the majority of the miniature finished I set about 'picking out' its axles, exhaust pipes, missiles and wheel trims with a combination of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. I also applied a little "Vallejo" Dead White and splash of Pale Grey to its headlights.

With the last of my current collection of Combat Cars completed I have turned my attention to painting up some of the numerous Nox figures I own. Unlike my Prydian forces I plan to essentially stick to 'official' "The Ion Age" colour scheme for these elite troops of the Shia Khan Empire, yet alter their background for my "Rogue Trader" themed games by using them as gun-totting Bloodletters; suitable chaotic foes indeed for my Imperial Guard and Crimson Fists to face.
"Moongrunt" WIPs - The US Lunar Marines have been primed and washed
These days there are simply loads of different Nox poses to chose from within the range, but when I first bought mine a few years ago there were actually just three regular trooper sculpts, and resultantly I purchased a good dozen or so where the Segmentum power armoured warrior was simply stood upright carrying their Flora Grenade Gun. As a result, although I plan to eventually add a little more variety to my blood-stained force in the future, I first intend to plough on through the horde of Khanate soldiers I currently own.

Sticking with 15mm, I have also managed to prime and shade the first of my US Lunar Marines by "Ground Zero Games". These "Moongrunt" 'test pieces' will hopefully be reasonably quick to paint, considering that all they now need is to be dry-brushed and have details such as their weapons and helmet visors pigmented before being based...

22 comments:

  1. Nice work on the combat car mate. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. I'm pleased to get that one done as it concludes my 40 point challenge from last month to an end :-)

      Delete
  2. Quite like the blue grey. I think prefer the previous scheme though. Nice progress on the Khanate soldier mate. Its beginning to pop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I'm actually part-way through applying the darker grey scheme to the Combat Car I feel the "Citadel" Nuln Oil rather blotched up, so I'm not sure the older scheme you prefer will see the tabletop for too much longer. The Khanate figure is excellent isn't he :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. I love him as well - good job too as I have a good dozen of the same sculpt to paint!! LOL!!

      Delete
  4. Like Fran, I really like that Khanate figure, nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. Good to hear the Khanate mini getting some love.

      Delete
  5. Nice brushwork Simon, what wash did you use for the nd pic on the Nox figure? Was that Nuln Oil too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. The Nox was washed with “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson and then drybrushed with “Vallejo” Heavy Red.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that. I'll have to get a few pots if those!

      Delete
    3. No worries, Ray. Best red wash around, imho.

      Delete
  6. Great work on the vehicle Simon, the darker grey seems to hide some of the detail as it's harder to see into it, but if it works for you that's all that matters. the Khanate warrior is progressing nicely as are your moongrunts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I don’t think the photos probably do the model justice compared to it being in your hand or on the tabletop. But the darker grey does make it a little harder to see the detail as you point out. Hopefully I can get a couple more Khanates finished this week, and post up a completed infantry stand soon.

      Delete
  7. This is turning into quite an epic project. The darker scheme on the Combat Car certainly looks a lot neater than the lighter one I have to say, so I think it is a good choice. Those Nox are weird looking things, but that is a good strong red, really good stuff there. The moon grunts look great already but when you pick out those extra details they really should pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat, I've certainly managed to paint a fair few minis from my collection of "The Ion Age" models in recent weeks, but have plenty more left to finish. Hopefully I should have both a stand of completed Nox and "Moongrunt" figures ready for posting soon :-)

      Delete
  8. Your 15mm stuff is coming along in leaps and bounds, the "car" turned out really well and with that armament it should be a bullet magnet (missile magnet?).
    The chunky nature of the 'marines' looks the part too and not overdone imo - super 15mm minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I'm really enjoying my 15mm minis currently :-)

      Delete
  9. Nice work all round Simon, I think I like the darker grey better too, and that Nox figure is really nice (does he have a "dog" like face or am I seeing things?

    The Astronauts are also coming along really nicely too, nice to see so much 15mm stuff on your blog at the moment.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I have actually gone back and am currently re-painting my splodgey Combat Car with the new colour scheme, so fingers crossed that it turns out alright. The Nox is rather dog/cow headed imho, so you're not seeing things. Loads more 15mm to come too, as I start to crack on with this month's Challenge total :-)

      Delete
  10. Think I preferred the lighter AC scheme m'self, but there ya go.

    Shia Khan minis look like they'd work just fine for Khornate marines ya know? THey look very RT style to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dark grey colour scheme is certainly a lot easier to get right, Dai, and I've since gone back to repaint the Combat Car I thought the "Citadel" Nuln Oil made too splodgey in "Vallejo" Dark Grey as a result. The Shia Khan Empire stuff seems to have been inspired by the more chaotic forces of the "Rogue Trader" Universe, Dai. I love 'em!

      Delete