Tuesday 11 April 2017

"Death To The Deviants!"

"What a horrible way to die!"
This multi-part 28mm hard plastic 'Terminator' has been built using pieces taken from the Frostgrave Cultists boxed set by "North Star Military Figures", as well as the company's Cultist Sci-Fi Accessory Pack, and is inspired by Tomás de Torquemada's infamous warriors of Terra portrayed within the "2000 A.D." comic book series "Nemesis The Warlock". The fanatical soldier was rather simple to assemble and super-glue together, although the resin conversion parts were somewhat larger in scale than the limbs and heads found upon the miniature's original sprue.

The figure was originally primed with "Citadel" Chaos Black and dry-brushed with "Vallejo "Heavy Charcoal. He then had his boots and drinking flask 'picked out' with Heavy Sienna and Heavy Brown. Both of these areas were subsequently washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. In order to represent the zealot's excessive commitment to Torquemada's crusade against any aliens, I also painted a skull accessory with "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and Heavy Khaki to make them appear to be the grisly trophy of an extra-terrestrial victim, and later shaded the severed head with "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade, Nuln Oil and Biel-Tan Green.
Crusader II WIPs - The tank has had its tracks painted, and been super-glued to a large rectangular base
As I didn't want the model's garments to be entirely black, as is often illustrated within the pages of "2000 A.D.", I applied a layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Red to the Terminator's undergarment, waist-band and shirt, and then washed these areas with "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson. In addition I painted his breathing-mask and shoulder armour with a combination of "Vallejo" Gold and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade so as to add even more colour to the miniature's palette. Lastly, the fanatic's large firearm was given a coat of "Citadel" Ironbreaker, before being heavily washed with Nuln Oil.

With the first of my Terra warriors completed, I have set aside some time to progress the first of my British tanks for "Battle Of El Alamein - War In The Desert" by "Battlefront Miniatures". I had already got the majority of this Crusader II painted, but have since 'picked out' its tracks, dirtied its wheels and fixed it to a large "Flames Of War" plastic base; on account of my great dislike for vehicles simply sitting upon the tabletop without one...
Boromite Ganger WIPs - TheOverseer's bodyguard has been washed and had his electrical gadgetry 'picked out'
I have also 'dusted' the armoured vehicle down, as per the instructions at the back of the "Desert Rats" hard-backed rule-book, and hopefully better blended in the tanks green camouflage markings with the sandy-coloured hull as a result. Finally, somewhat perturbed by the fact that the boxed set strangely doesn't seem to come with any decals, I have started working on its turret shovel with some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Ironbreaker.

Needless to say, despite these distractions, I am also slowly making some ground on my second Boromite Ganger for "Beyond The Gates Of Antares". This particular model is formidably detailed on account of having several wires wrapped about the figure's shoulders and neck, as well as some incredibly complicated-looking reflex armour and waist attachments.

20 comments:

  1. The Terminator looks good and I think the scaling issues are not immediately apparent to the eye (at least not my eyes!). Great stuff mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. I think the scaling issues only become apparent if you place the mini up against another Cultist made from pieces purely taken from the plastic boxed set.

      Delete
  2. Always something exciting to see here Simon and today is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I try to mix things up as you know.

      Delete
  3. Very effective. The Boromite is especially good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I'm hoping to post a second finished Boromite soon.

      Delete
  4. Great result on the Termite, the tank gets better with every post, and almost there on the second of three Boromites. Pleasure to see Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Definitely enjoying the roll I'm currently on...

      Delete
  5. Good progress here, Simon. The Terminator has turned out rather well, and the other two are coming along very nicely. Good post, mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Everything is ticking along nicely.

      Delete
  6. More nice stuff, as always. But a tank, most unexpected

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I'm into my "FOW" quite a bit presently, having had a game the other week.

      Delete
  7. The tank is going to look great I think Simon, good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. I'm hoping to have the tank posted in a week or so.

      Delete
  8. Terminator came out far better than I was anticipating. As has been said, without prior notice, the sale issues are a no show as far as I'm concerned.

    Dont stress too much about the lack of decals for your tank. Markings at this scale are so small that a red box with a white squiggle and a white box with a red squiggle will look just fine on the table top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm rather pleased with the Terminator tbh. I won't be rushing out to buy the decals for the tank, but will eventually get some. Hopefully it'll be posted up next week w/o them though.

      Delete
  9. Can't say I'm a fan of the terminator, despite your excellent paint-job; the Boromite though is 'growing' on me and I now understand why you'd previously said the tanks weren't finished - great detailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I should have the next finished Boromite and Crusader II posted up soon :-)

      Delete