Tuesday 18 July 2017

"That's A Living Brain Jammed Inside A Cybernetic Body..."

"You are rogue elements. You are incompatible. You will be deleted."
This 40mm tall "exquisitely sculpted pewter" Cyberman figure is sold by “Warlord Games” and is one of the ten miniatures contained within the company's "Nightmares In Silver" Cybermen Collector's Set 1966-2013. Sculpted to replicate the "race of cybernetically augmented humanoids" as they appeared in Tom MacRae's 2006 television story "Rise Of The Cybermen", this particular version of the silver giants arose on a parallel Earth where John Lumic, head of Cybus Industries, attempted to convert the population of London using "emotional inhibitor signals".

The figure was first undercoated with "Citadel" Abaddon Black and subsequently given a double layer of Ironbreaker. It was then shaded with Nuln Oil and had its eyes and mouth slit darkened with a small dab of Abaddon Black. The entire model was finally dry-brushed with more "Ironbreaker", and had its waist, inner thighs and elbows washed with Nuln Oil in order to somewhat take the shine off of these particular areas.
Eighties Cybermen WIPs - The silver giants have been washed, in preparation of dry-brushing and detailing
With another of my "Nightmares In Silver" miniatures completed, I have managed to get some "Citadel" Nuln Oil on a couple more of the collector set's contents; namely the two "silverclad villains" representing the BBC programme's serials during the Eighties. I'm actually hoping to finally add a little bit of colour and contrast to these particular "fully armoured soldiers", by way of following the colour schemes used on the "Warlord Games" "Into The Vortex" website.

Up until now, all of the cyborgs I have painted have proved rather one-dimensional palette-wise despite their constant upgrades. But that should change with the "Earthshock" Cyberman and his red-rimmed cybergun, whilst the "Silver Nemesis" version has a far more noticeably silvery-grey torso and limbs than any of its predecessors.
Air Elemental WIP - The "Dungeon And Dragons" monster has been re-based and primed "Vallejo" White
Setting aside my Cybermen momentarily, I have also started work on one of the many plastic "Wizards Of The Coast" miniatures generously gifted to me recently by Steve and Hils from "The Gamers Cupboard". The first of these to hit my painting queue is this rather large Air Elemental, which was originally sculpted for the "Dungeons And Dragons" "randomly sorted monsters and heroes" expansion "Elemental Evil".

"A funnelling cloud of whirling air with a vague semblance of a face", this 49mm tall 'corporeal incarnation of the element' has currently simply been re-based and primed "Vallejo" White. But should shortly be treated to a heavy wash of Pale Grey and some "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade in order to help 'bring out' all the creature's candy-floss clouds and sweeping swirls.

40 comments:

  1. Cybermen are progressing quickly Simon and looking great. The air elemental is an interesting model I'd almost be tempted to paint it in storm cloud colours with maybe a few lightning strikes running across it, but if doing a less stormy cloud add some blue as well as grey to add interest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, being predominantly silver does help with finishing the Cybermen off quickly :-) The Air Elemental is awesome imho, and already nearly finished tbh. I have gone with a predominantly grey-white look, but with some brown streaks to represent sand/dirt swirling around inside its vortex. I'll post up some WIPs on Friday :-)

      Delete
    2. Sound's great Simon, always interesting to see different approaches to a piece

      Delete
    3. Absolutely. The piccies are already done, and ready.

      Delete
  2. You do Cybermen so very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. They're my fave "Doctor Who" monster, so its easy to get enthused painting them.

      Delete
  3. Cracking work Simon, spot on Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Straightforward paint-jobs are always my fave subject.

      Delete
  4. I do like your Cybermen, Simon. I'll be showcasing my plastic Cybermen this week and my metal Cybermen next week. Yep, all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I'm hoping to get through my "Nightmares In Silver" boxed set by next week, and then move into more of my "Doctor Who" boxes; such as Sea Devils and Tetraps.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely adore this eighties Cyberman sculpt, and as Clint says; you do indeed tend to make all your cybers look really great. hmmmm, I`m interest now to see what you do with the air elemental. Dave might be right, cloud colours would be unique: you don`t often see D&D type elemental minis painted to look like their natural components. Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hils. I'm hoping a cloud and dirt look to the Air Elemental will work out well enough. I wanted to steer clear of blue as I want to use that for the water elementals you so kindly sent me :-)

      Delete
    2. Meh! very welcome.

      Cloud and dirt sounds like it shuold work well, and lighting spears too?

      Delete
    3. I mean forks of lightning (spears of light).

      Delete
    4. I`d have said a few bright balls of light, as though coming from under the cover of the cloud, like mini explosions (and imagined thunder claps) from within the elemental itself.

      Delete
    5. I'm hoping for the Air Elemental to be a simple piece tbh, so I don't plan on lightning, nor "mini explosions"... But I very much like the idea :-)

      Delete
    6. **grins**

      when in doubt, simple is always best ^^

      Delete
  6. Terrific looking Cybers Simon, you have a veritable horde of them at this stage I shouldn't wonder. I feel like that with my 24 Cybers and an absolutely scrumptious load of Cybermats (don`t know why everyone undervalues these little critters so much... I absolutely love them to bits). You`ve excelled yourself with your eighties guy and obviously painting so many is paying off lol you`re getting a dab hand at them ^^.

    I`m intrigued to see what you make of the elemental. I`m sure you will make it rock, what ever you do :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. The Cybermen are certainly coming along nicely, and they'll be plenty more posted over the next few weeks as I (hopefully) finish off the boxed set. My fingers are crossed as to how the Air Elemental turns out. Hopefully it'll do your generosity justice.

      Delete
    2. Meh, you`d do the same.

      (still no sign of Cubicle 7, but hopefully soon).

      Delete
  7. Those 1980's Cybermen look great and that air elemental is a rather interesting sculpt that quite fascinates me, if I'm being honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Eighties Cybermen should be finished soon, Roy, as should the Air Elemental. Hopefully they'll look the business :-)

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the air elemental Simon, what a great gift from the Irish contingent :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. The Air Elemental was one of over a hundred minis the Emerald Isle Musketeers sent me, along with hundreds of cards and cardboard floor plans :-)

      Delete
  9. The eighties Cybermen look rather cool, so much better than the new ones IMHO, though both sets are well painted. I think Myles might have that air Elemental somewhere as I seem to think he picked it up at Salute a couple of years back, it's a nice model, should have got one myself.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. The Eighties Cybermen are now finished, and have a little bit of colour on them too... The Air Elemental is from the same set as that ogre you bought from "Salute" and converted a couple of years ago. Its a great set of minis imho.

      Delete
  10. Another very nice Cyberman addition mate. :) And the 80's iterations are turning out nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. Need to get the Cybermen out the way so I can do my "G.I. Joe" project next month :-)

      Delete
  11. Looking great dude. Looking at the different generations and I think the 80s versions look the best imo. Keep up the good work dude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. Making my way through them slowly but surely.

      Delete
  12. O those Cyber-lovelies bring back some good memories. My son won't even attempt to watch the old episodes with me (Citing that they look "too cheesy" of all excuses!) and he's missing out imo.

    Bravo mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Glad you're enjoying all the Cybermen, plenty more to come too. You're quite right, your son is certainly missing out on "Tomb Of The Cybermen" and "Revenge Of The Cybermen"" imho.

      Delete
  13. Nice work on the Cybermen, Simon, although the Cybus industries one doesn't look quite broad enough in my opinion.

    As for that Air Elemental, I have been eyeing that up for a while now and the talk of candy-floss as well as your intial undercoat are making me think that it could work as another sweet-themed creature for Ghostbusters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. There certainly would seem to be plenty of scope to use most of the "D&D" elementals as ghosts imho.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, I immediately thought of you Jez, and the Candyfloss ghost to go with your "Scooby Doo" gang. It seems great minds do think alike!

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. I think painted pink with a watered-down Red Shade and subsequent pink dry-brush would work very well indeed, as a Candyfloss Ghost :-)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. The "Warlord Games" Cybermen are awesome sculpts imho.

      Delete
  15. Great cybermen; he eighties versions I reckon will seam;essly fit with the others too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I'm hoping to use all the Cybermen from the "Nightmares In Silver" Collector's Set for one big BatRep, so hopefully they will all 'merge together' :-)

      Delete