Tuesday 22 August 2017

"Destro Is The Faceless Power Behind MARS"

"He dons his silver battle mask (a family tradition) and enters battle himself..." 
This 28mm metal miniature of Laird James McCullen Destro XXIV is from a private collection and thus not commercially available. Luckily however, I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire a spare casting of the "state-of-the-art weapons manufacturer" and subsequently chose to paint him in a palette similar to how the cut-throat businessman's carded action figure appeared in 2014.

Originally primed with two coats of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, the "Laird of the Castle Destro in the Scottish Highlands" was dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal and later heavily washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. His hand-weapon was treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey, whilst his belt buckle, hands and beryllium steel mask were 'picked out' with "Citadel" Ironbreaker. All of these areas were then treated to a wash of Nuln Oil. Finally, his jacket's fleece was painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.
"Hell Hounds track fleeing prey relentlessly."
With the third of this month's six planned "G.I. Joe" related figures completed, I've actually spent some time rummaging through my old collection of unpainted "Dungeons & Dragons" models, looking for something suitable to add to my "Expedition To Barrier Peaks" collection. Quite remarkably, my search not only revealed an old 2002 sculpt of a Hell Hound from the "Chainmail Miniatures Game" by "Wizards Of The Coast", but a fully based one at that.

Ordinarily, I don't usually dwell upon previously finished pieces, especially ones which come from a time when my painting technique was 'a little simpler'. However, considering that I did a little extra work on this "supernatural dog" by placing a plastic "Games Workshop" tombstone beneath his torso, I thought this particular 'protector of the supernatural' was rather noteworthy. In addition, you can bet he's going to turn up at some point to plague the Grand Duchy of Geoff's party of adventurers.
Mondasian Cyberman WIPs - The silver giant has been washed and had his 'flesh' picked out
Lastly, I have been working on the final miniature found within the "Nightmares In Silver" Cybermen Collector's Set 1966-2013 by “Warlord Games”, the Mondasian Cyberman. Initially a pleasure to paint, despite all its tubes and wires, I'm now somewhat struggling to pick out the silver giant's eyes and mouth.

Admittedly, if one follows the colour scheme shown in the 1966 televised "Doctor Who" serial "The Tenth Planet", then these facial features should simply be black sockets. But I think that would do the sculpt a great injustice, so I'm desperately trying to give the cyborg's mouth slit and eye slots a glimmer of metal around the edges. Unfortunately though, such a noble intention would seem somewhat beyond my skill with a paintbrush...

30 comments:

  1. Excellent work on Destro. Get you with your scenic basing great looking figure dude.

    The details looks quite light on this cyber man I am sure you well get there with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. The scenic basing serves a purpose though, as the Hell Hound appears incredibly unstable without something supporting its leaping pose!!

      Delete
  2. Destro is another new one on me, but great job Simon. I have to say that the latest Cyberman is particularly good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Hopefully a small run of "G.I. Joe" minis will lure you into the action figure world as quickly as when I first saw the minis on other people's blogs ;-)

      Delete
  3. all three, excellent work. I enjoyed opening this page with my first morning coffee and finding such variety to look at and read up on as I sipped away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sipping hot drinks whilst reading this blog is definitely the recommended methodology for my postings, Hil's :-)

      Delete
  4. Your "Hell Hounds relentlessly tracking fleeing prey" really reminded me of the grave yard scene from 5th ed. "Curse of Strahd" and the line "I`m starving Father!" still sends shivers down my spine. Nicely done, especially as it was so in keeping with that memorable episode.

    Best Cyberman I`ve seen, but I don`t know the guy ni black I`m afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Steve. I was rather pleased to find the Hell Hound. The Cybermen is proving something of a painting conundrum currently with his tiny eyes and mouth...

      Delete
    2. may be but you`ve done them well.

      Delete
    3. Cheers Hils, I'm going to try and redo the face this evening. Fingers crossed :-)

      Delete
  5. Terrific trio Simon, and I'm off searching t'interweb for one of those Hell Hounds right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers WargamesFoundry Addict, and good luck with the hunting. I think i only have one because they were rather hard to source, and that was a few years ago now...

      Delete
  6. Great job on Destro Simon, the hell hound looks like he could be causing a few problems in the games and has a cool alien look about him. If the cyberman is causing problems, put it to one side for a few days then return to it fresh, this approach helps me to refocus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I'm going to give the cyberman another go this evening, but if that fails to produce the goods then I'll do as you suggest, and give him a rest for a few days.

      Delete
  7. Excellent work on Destro, with a nice bold scheme across his 3 principal colours. Well done mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon, I am though just the "G.I. Joe" padawan compared to you and Simon - the "G.I. Joe" Jedi Masters ;-)

      Delete
  8. If you hadn't said that Destro was a man in an iron mask, I'd have just assumed he was an android. Knowing so little about GI Joe, that's exactly how I'd use him as.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost as much in the dark regarding "G.I. Joe" as you, Bryan, hence this series of posts :-) You're quite right though, as Destro's sculpt would make a rather nice Android.

      Delete
  9. Haha same Bryan, nice job on him though Simon. Not a fan of the hellhound sculpt tbh but the cyberman is cool as only a cyberman can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. The Hell Hound sculpt is a little too smooth for my liking, but he's done, and destined for my "Dungeon & Dragon" games :-)

      Delete
  10. Now Destro I do know, if only from the movies, really nice work on him too.

    I'm afraid I'm also not that big a fan of the Hellhound sculpt, though your painting is top draw, and I like the gravestone support idea.

    The Cyberman looks great to me, I know you've had a little trouble with the soft detail of his face, but keep at it and I'm sure you will knock him into shape.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Much appreciated. I'm going to take Dave's advice and park the Cyberman for a couple of days and work on some other stuff. Plenty of backlogged minis to post in the meantime, as well as a BatRep :-)

      Delete
  11. Another interesting selection of miniatures, Simon. Not too sure about the Hellhound - a bit too cartoony a sculpt for my tastes, but nicely painted. Destro looks as he should, although I think the figure I had wore a medallion on his bare chest.

    The standout piece for me is the Cyberman, as the extra work you've gone to detail him makes him more than just another 'silver giant'. Eyes are a bane for me, as my eyesight and painting skills aren't quite up to doing them unless I'm very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started using fine line pens for eyes now as I just can't manage them with a brush

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jez. I think the Destro mini is a cool sculpt but doesn't quite fit any of the action figures I've been sighted on (e.g. I too have seen the one with the medallion on his chest), hence I mixed his colour scheme up between what PulpCitizen achieved and the 2014 carded figure.

      Delete
    3. Eyes are sadly becoming increasingly difficult for me to pick out as well as I would like. This particular cyberman's optics are especially tiny and softly detailed too!!

      Delete
  12. I like Destro, even though I've never heard of him!
    The hell-hound colouring is not what I envisoned for one but good nonetheless and of course the Cyberman is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Hopefully you're enjoying this "G.I. Joe" series and learning about the characters - just as I am when I sit down to paint them!! Hopefully the finished Cyberman will look as good as the WIPs...

      Delete
  13. Awww, dont give up on the cybermans eyes. He looks so good so far!

    Destro is perfect. Arms dealing swindler that he is.

    I like the hellhound. Fetch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. The Mondasian cyberman is now finished... and just being based. Glad you like Destro, it was the mini that made me start searching for "G.I. Joe" stuff in the first place. Nice to see a bit of love for the Hell Hound too :-)

      Delete