Thursday 14 September 2017

"They Killed Him! Came From The Sea. The Sea. A Sea Devil!"

"We want revenge on the human species!"
These three 38mm tall metal Sea Devil miniatures are manufactured by “Warlord Games” and can be bought from their "Into The Time Vortex" range. Sculpted to replicate the "Sea Silurians" during Malcolm Hulke's 1972 televised six-parter "The Sea Devils", these classic Third Doctor-era creatures were clothed in blue netting by Maggie Fletcher after director Michael Briant felt their original costume design made them look as if they were naked.

All the figures were originally undercoated with "Vallejo" Verdigris, heavily washed with "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade and dry-brushed with some additional "Vallejo" Verdigris. Their feet were subsequently painted "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and their legs Heavy Green, before both these areas were dry-brushed with Heavy Sienna and washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
"We could still destroy their ships before they are out of range."
The Sea Devils' weapon belts were 'picked out' using a combination of "Vallejo" White and Pale Grey, and their metallic hand-weapons were pigmented using "Citadel" Ironbreaker and a shade of Nuln Oil. The man-in-a-suit monsters' hands and heads were initially treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, and their webbing 'slimed' with Heavy Green. Later, as with the reptilian lifeforms' legs, these areas were dry-brushed with Heavy Sienna and washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.

As a last touch, each homo reptilia's string vest was darkened/dirtied with a random application of both "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. These garments were then re-highlighted in places by slowly drawing some "Vallejo" Verdigris across them.
Nero Narcos WIPs - The robotic crime boss has been primed, washed and dry-brushed
In 2012, alongside 648 other backers, I supported the "Judge Dredd Miniatures Game: Block War" Kickstarter by "Mongoose Publishing". Five years on and I have still yet to receive the entirety of my Sector Chief pledge, nor sadly, do I believe I ever will. However, what I have now been sent "fresh from the forges of Magister Militum" is "one of the last models to be done" for Mongoose Matt's long-winded Kickstarter, Nero Narcos.

To be honest, I stopped reading the comic "2000 A.D." well before this criminal's brain was ever transplanted into the body of "an armoured robotic body", and therefore missed his psychopathic reign over Mega-City One. But having placed the crisply cast "leader of the criminal syndicate the Frendz" onto a 40mm base, as opposed to the woefully undersized 25mm which accompanied him, I must confess to be very impressed with the sculpt's detail...

28 comments:

  1. Great looking unit of Sea Devils Simon, Nero Narcos is not a character I've ever heard of to be honest, the model looks cool enough though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dave. I've another three Sea Devils to paint, so I can field a decent-sized faction, but I don't plan on doing them any time soon. I'd also not heard of Nero Narcos before, but he seems quite a formidable "Judge Dredd" baddie, and being metallic has given me a chance to try out a technique for 'silvering' - as you can just make-out in my final WIP shot. Hopefully a purple wash will settle it down a little and then he's basically finished.

      Delete
    2. If you only want a hint of the purple Simon, then use a thinned glaze instead, and direct it with your brush so it becomes darker in the recesses

      Delete
    3. That's the plan, Dave, fingers crossed I can carry it off - as I struggled to find a metallic purple anywhere.

      Delete
    4. Have been playing with this recently to do alien metal. I started with a silver basecoat, then a wash of nuln oil, then highlighted with silver for high spots (gives you three variations, pure silver on highs, dirty silvers in mid, and almost pure black in the recesses) Then applied a purple glaze ( think more of a tint) and applied all over. once fully dry then applied more purple glaze in shadow areas. Hope this helps mate

      Delete
    5. It does indeed, Dave, many thanks. I think repeated layers until I get the desired effect is definitely the way to go rather than simply gloop it on all in one go. Hopefully you'll see how it goes with a future posting :-)

      Delete
  2. That second photo looks good! But 2012 and you've still not received all of your stuff, shocking!! I think they should be visited by the Judges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy. Sadly, I've picked a few Kickstarter duds in my time, but at least quit the "Rogue Trooper" one just before it finished. In addition, despite the delay, I have probably received metal/resin than I paid for for the "Judge Dredd" Kickstarter.

      Delete
  3. sadly, Mongoose Publishing have a very long bad.. bad history of doing this sort of thing, and generally not delivering on promises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, Hils. I just don't understand their strategy for this KS. Minis were being bought at shows before backers got them, then they dropped the rule-book in favour of "Warlord Games" version just after they sent it out to all backers (effectively killing the game before it'd even started) and then went on to produce "Judge Dredd" minis which weren't in the KS before they finished making the KS ones. Very disappointing. Between this and their "Star Trek" Star Fleet Battles game, I won;t be buying from them ever again.

      Delete
  4. been waiting two years for Super Dungeon Explore "Legends" kickstarter (Soda Pop/Ninja Division). I`ll never buy anything else from them ever again that`s for sure.

    Sea Devils and that ship hatch look truly great, I really like how its all come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I certainly can feel your Kickstarter pain - I've stopped doing them as a result.

      Delete
    2. it gets worse Simon, I got caught by the same company again, with their Rail Raiders Infinite (I believe you did too, right?). Okay... a year late, they swear they are delivering to us in September/October, but.... meh, its a year too late, as they originally SWORE this game would be out in six months. Year and a half late, and I`ll be pleasantly surprised if they DO deliver this month as they have (possibly emptily) promised.

      Delete
    3. Yes... my Chibi mojo is most definitely gone the way of the dodo thanks to the Rail Raiders Kickstarter, Steve. My fingers are well and truly crossed that it does turn up soon though, as I love the idea behind the game - just won't be backing any more of their projects.

      Delete
  5. I'm repeating myself, but I LOVE the way you've done your Sea Devils Simon - fantastic brushwork!
    Nero Narcos certainly looks an impressive sculpt and I'm looking forward to seeing how he turns out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wargame Addict, feel free to repeat away :-) The Sea Devils are a real joy to paint, so its easy to pay them plenty of attention and patience. Hopefully Narcos will soon be finished too, as he's pretty one-dimensional palette-wise.

      Delete
  6. You just know I will comment if you put a sea devil on the blog.

    terrific stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Clint. I've another three Sea Devils yet to be based, and hopefully at some point "Warlord Games" will produce a Myrka and some of the samurai-looking Sea Devils (from Peter Davison's tenure).

      Delete
  7. I do love how you have painted your Sea Devils and will most likely be copying your colour schemes when I receive mine.

    As for Nero Narcos, he almost brought down the Justice Department by reprogramming the newly ordered MK2 Lawgiver pistols so he could control them. He appeared in many stories. I love the figure of him and I am slightly jealous of you for having him as he is one of the few Judge Dredd figures I don't own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan, very much appreciated. The Sea Devils are terrific sculpts, so I look forward to seeing yours up and painted. Hopefully the cards will be out soon for them, even if just as PDFs.

      I've done a fair bit of reading about Narcos since he arrived, and he certainly seems a "Judge Dredd" foe to be reckoned with. I believe Mongoose Matt has only just posted them out, so I'd hope for a few disgruntled kickstarter backers to have theirs up on Ebay pretty soon. If I get sent a second one then I know where to send him on to :-)

      Delete
  8. I love the sea devils, always have been a fan, despite the string vests which always seemed odd. I'm glad you found out why.Nero Narcos looks very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I always like to add a little bit of info about my painting subjects when I can ;-)

      Delete
  9. Very nice work on the Sea Devils, I really like the effect on their garments. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. Six down, three more Sea Devils to go.

      Delete
  10. Just love the sea devils as I've said in more than one occasion. The JD baddy is a lush sculpt, nice one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I personally never tire of saying how fab the Sea Devil sculpts are, and I'm hoping "Warlord Games" bring out a few more at some point, including the Myrka. Nero is awesome and should be posted soon ;-)

      Delete
  11. Sea devils are fantastic! What a splendid image they make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Great models imho, and ones which look great as a group. I've another three to base and paint up, just to really give them some numbers on the tabletop.

      Delete