Thursday 15 January 2015

"Witness Me, Mankind, As CyberKing Of All!"

This 160mm resin model is the CyberKing figurine made by “Eaglemoss Collections”. The steampunk-flavoured Cyber creation appeared in the British science fiction television series “Doctor Who” at the conclusion of the Christmas Day Special, “The Next Doctor” in 2008. Whovians will know that it was created by Russell T. Davies in order to have “A great big Cyberman… striding all over Victorian London!”
I was actually rather unimpressed when I first saw this model as it forms part of the publisher's 90mm "Doctor Who" figurine collection which up until its release, had actually managed to keep everything in scale with one another; despite having previously produced the TARDIS, a Slithereen and even the enormous Emperor Dalek from the 2005 story "The Parting Of The Ways". This CyberKing model however is horrifically undersized as its mouth alone should be the height of two Cybermen. As a result I wasn't planning on buying one but then thought it might be more acceptable on a 28mm battlefield.
The model was originally pre-painted an awful metallic blue with loads of brown rust all over it. The figure was also attached to a rather formidable thick resin stand. Indeed, when it came time to remove the CyberKing from its base, it was so firmly attached that the resin model broke into several pieces before it could be properly removed. This meant I had to drill and pin a number of pistons and chains back into place before I could even begin undercoating him. The disaster did however afford me the opportunity to both strengthen the clearly fragile legs of the figure and slightly alter his pose, so instead of standing straight up I was able to slightly manipulate his stance in order to try and portray him stepping slightly forward.
Once firmly attached (with screws) to his large oval 120mm wide base the CyberKing was given two thinned coats of “Citadel” Abaddon Black in order to completely eradicate the previous rather garishly-coloured paint-job. The model was then painted Boltgun Metal and thoroughly washed with the Shade Abaddon Black. I then dry-brushed the entire model with more Boltgun Metal. This was an extremely time-consuming process as a lot of the detail on the sculpt was rather soft, and its former metallic blue paint-job had been rather liberally applied in places. In addition I had to keep stopping and re-doing the previous painting phases in order to deal with pockets of casting sand which the "Eaglemoss" painter had clearly simply plastered over.
Obviously Cybermen in general don’t rust, but as the Cyberking was made of metals scavenged from across Victorian London as opposed to Cyber technology, and he had been hidden beneath the Thames, I figured there would be some metal fatigue in some areas. As a result I dabbed some watered-down “Vallejo” Copper in appropriate areas, such as gears and leg pistons, and then washed these areas with some gloopy “Citadel” Devlan Mud.
Once dry I then dry-brushed back over these areas with Boltgun metal in order to blend them in with the rest of the model. Finally to give the mechanical behemoth a more Cyberman look I dry-brushed the entire model with a light covering of Mithril Silver in order to help bring out the finer detail.
One thing I did not especially like about the model was its glowing eyes, which I thought made it look a bit too ‘Metal Mickey’ for my liking. As a result I drilled out the eyes and left them as dark soulless holes similar to those of the normal Cybermen.

18 comments:

  1. He looks great!
    I wish I'd seen this when it was in the shops, I've had a cyber man head keyring stashed in my bits box for years with a vague idea to convert something like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Myincubliss. You can still pick it up on Ebay, as I did, but its now doubled in price but is still reasonably good vfm if you're keen to get something which looks like the TV version. Otherwise your keyring on the shoulders of a large model sounds like a great idea to me. If you do do something with it, please let me know :-)

      Delete
  2. FANTASTIC! Seriously, this has to be the best figure I've seen you post. Your conversion work on it is to be highly commended and I love the way you have painted it. I agree with you about the bits of rust. Your reasoning for it makes perfect sense. if this was true 28mm scale you wouldn't be able to fit him on your gaming table but as he stands at present, he makes a great uber-villain and a fantastic force commander for your Cybermen. I'm just blown away by him. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan, you have me blushing. Many thanks indeed for your kind words. Very much appreciated coming from someone who I know loves this stuff as much as I. Probably reconstruction is a fairer word than conversion but the new paint-job is infinitely better than the old one imho, as are the eyes. Hopefully the tease was worth it, my friend?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I love the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge as its really got me painting things I'd really think about doing and this heavy beastie probably wouldn't even have been bought without my participation.

      Delete
  4. Bravo!

    We now want to read about it in an AAR ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy. It will be as we're playing a few games of "ZombieTV" over the weekend, and he'll be featuring, as scenery if nothing else. Glad you like him :-)

      Delete
  5. WOW! Massive, what a great bad guy. Superb job Bk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Certainly was big enough to get the hand aching after a few minutes of holding him aloft to paint him. Learnt loads about painting large figures from this experiment.

      Delete
  6. He is HUGE ! Having said that though I guess he has to be, but still small enough to be used on a table (I have seen bigger) and you've done an absolutely stunning paint-job on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Zabadak. Much appreciated. Big enough to make you go "Gosh" but small enough to still move about the table and actually game with - which is why in some ways I'm glad I was able to better pin it together.

      Delete
  7. That's an awesome figure. well done on the painting! Figures that big are really difficult to manipulate!! I look forward to seeing how it goes in the batreps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks CW. I was actually extremely grateful to you for your advice following your painting of the Sentinel. Hopefully the Batreps won't disappoint.

      Delete
  8. Now you need a hot air balloon to fight it!

    Looks great for such a miserable sounding start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I must confess when it broke apart at the start I did look at all the pieces and almost cry :-)

      Delete
  9. That was a stunning entry. I remember that episode and this was a great take on the theme.

    I hope this gets some loving by the voters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Anne. Very much appreciated. I had to put all that silver dry-brushing practice to some use didn't I ;-) Last week did burn me out a bit though, so just doing some prep over the weekend and no submissions. Hopefully get many of these minis on the tabletop too. Next week though Bob's stuff is back out ready for the Myth theme ;-) Take care.

      Delete