Monday 23 February 2015

"Look At the Size Of That Whammer!"

"I hate those comic books. They never get the eyes right." 
This 28mm plastic figure of an infant Anung Un Rama (“and upon his brow is set a crown of flame”) is model 007 Hellbaby from the “Wizkids” Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. “Heroclix” Action Pack. The demon was created by writer/artist Mike Mignola and the character’s comic book adventures are published by “Dark Horse Comics”.

Having removed the miniature from its ‘clicky’ stand and super-glued it to a 25mm round base, I undercoated it with two layers of “Vallejo” Heavy Red. I then picked out the little fellow’s hooves with White before washing them with “The Army Painter” Warpaint Quickshade Strong Tone. As the red-skinned creature was discovered by the Allied Army, I painted his trousers with “Vallejo” Heavy grey and his shirt with Heavy Brown.

I then washed his trousers with “Citadel” Thrakka Green before using more of “The Army Painter” Quickshade Strong Tone on his shirt. For his flesh and ‘Right Hand of Doom’ I simply tidied up the “Vallejo” Heavy Red before applying a heavy Shade of "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson over the areas. Finally I picked out the eyes of Professor Bruttenholm’s adopted son with “Vallejo” Heavy Ochre.
Ben Grimm WIP - Now his jacket has been washed, there's just the hat and lamp post to finish 
I have been trying out my "Vallejo" washes on these "Heroclix" models of the Gentleman Ghost and Chemo. Now the Pale Grey has dried on Jim Craddock I just need to dry-brush the "DC Comics" phantom super-villain. I was less impressed with how the Green Shade turned out on my walking mass of chemical by-products. So I have since 'blotched' the large plastic model in "Citadel" Thrakka Green. This has really helped bring out all the swirling detail etched upon Chemo's sculpt. Finally I have under-coated the hat of my The Thing objective marker, having had to rewash his overcoat repeatedly due to my inability to paint the inside of his upturned collar as well as I would have liked.
Heroclix WIPs - Just some tidying up to be done and these models will be completed 
In addition I have been progressing these models of Moon Knight and Lobster Johnson, as well as washed and dry-brushed one of the tombstone objectives I'm hoping to visit by this weekend. The stone gargoyle just needs some climbing vines being picked out on its column to be finished.

20 comments:

  1. Yay, you've finished Hellbaby! He's come out very well. Your six WIP figures are coming along very nicely.
    The Gentleman Ghost looks finished but I'm sure a white dry-brushing will really make him pop.
    That's one mean looking gargoyle. I do like him.
    Good work on all the figures. I look forward to seeing them finished. Soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. Hellbaby's all ready for this weekend's BatRep ;-) I've also got Johann Kraus finished too but didn't get him submitted to the Analogue Hobbies Challenge in time. So you'll have to wait for him. Hopefully most if not all of these minis will be done for the weekend. But I have some hairy Who minis to finish off first...

      Delete
  2. Hellbaby's done! Well done dude! I'm loving Lobster Johnson and Moon Knight. The other stuff is well on it's way too. Chemo and The Thing are my faves there, not that there's anything wrong with The Gentleman Ghost just personal preference.
    The Gargoyle has come out rather well for "just" an objective marker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. I wasn't that impressed with Lobster until I started work on his goggles and then he suddenly sprang into life. Chemo is huge... with Hellbaby only just reaching his thigh with his horns. Both the gargoyle and the Thing should be great-looking objective markers. Fingers crossed these'll all turn out fine for the weekend.

      Delete
  3. Hellbaby looks really good.

    LJ has to be one of my fav of your paint jobs in a while too.

    Very well done mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dai. Lobster is coming along nicely :-)

      Delete
  4. That Thing models just keeps looking better and better, considering it's rather unimpressive beginings. if fact everything looks good, I'm particually impressed with Chemo though, that is one cracking paint job so far, I look forward to seeing him finnished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Ben Grimm is looking better than when I first started. I'm actually tempted to stop painting Chemo and rather than dry-brush him just pick out his eyes. I think a lot of the blotchy swirls will be lost with anything but the softest of dry-brushes. Decisions decisions :-)

      Delete
  5. Looks great, BK. I especially like Lobster Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch. I've been testing out yellow eyes on my yetis, so am hoping Lobster's goggles will help make him really stand out once he's finished.

      Delete
  6. I'd never considered using Heroclix figures in games, but I'm slowly becoming a convert (far too late I fear), you sure do a fine job on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Zabadak. Much appreciated. You should be able to pick up some of the first (and best) sculpts nice and cheap. Well worth it imho.

      Delete
  7. Some good progress there - I think the painting is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6. Practice makes... getting better ;-)

      Delete
  8. I love your use of inks. The figures turn out looking really good! I will have to increase the few I have and play with them a little more. Got to love hell baby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers CW. I must confess that I wouldn't recommend the "Vallejo" washes except the grey one. But I do like the "Citadel" ones. Though "The Army Painter" Strong Tone is the closest to the OOP Devlan Mud I know.

      Delete
    2. I use the army painter strong tone but to be honest that's probably the only one I use on a regular basis. They also do other that I might try out at some point and I did find a recipe online somewhere for making your own, which I was intrigued by. Shall have to find it again!

      Delete
    3. Couldn't be without my washes and inks. Block colour then wash and go - that's me :-)

      Delete
  9. I must admit I'd be tempted to leave "Chemo" as is, for fear of overworking him myself, i think the swirls look about right to me, but it's your choice mate, I'm sure he'll come out good whatever you do.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going to give this some thought... I think the "Citadel" ink over the "Vallejo" wash has really turned out well... would seem a pity to cover over all that 'splotchiness' with a boring dry-brush. Thanks Roger :-)

      Delete