Monday 2 February 2015

The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge 2014 - WIP - Week Eight

WIP Terran Federation - The dry-brushed charcoal highlights and red visors are clearly visible 
This Stefan Travers miniature by “Crooked Dice Game Design Studio” has been sat upon my painting table much unloved, for a good few weeks now. But I’ve finally managed to apply a few more layers to him and so should have him ready as a submission for this Saturday’s Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. I’ve managed to dry-brush his black uniform with some charcoal highlights, as well as tidy up and apply a wash to his flesh. I plan to pick out his cybernetic hand and eye with more charcoal so it slightly stands out from the rest of his attire… And probably paint his hair dark brown just to slightly ‘break up’ his all-black appearance.

It seemed silly not to undercoat another four of these Federated Security models, also by “Crooked Dice Design Game Studio”, at the same time. Now I have something of a systematic painting technique in place for these black-clad minions I’ve managed to progress through their various stages a bit quicker than normal. Their green helmet trims are already finished and I’ve just finished smearing their visors with red, prior to several washes of “Citadel” Nuln Oil.
WIP Moon Knight - The white dry-brushing over the "Vallejo" Pale Grey has turned out rather well
In addition I’ve finished dry-brushing this plastic “Heroclix” model of Moon Knight, and simply need to pick out his crescent moon chest emblem, his throwing blade and baton.
WIP B.P.R.D. - Just some basic undercoats have been completed on these "Heroclix" miniatures
 Finally, with an eye on the Hot Bonus Themed Round of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, I’ve set about painting this tiny “Wizkids” Hellbaby from the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense. I’ve taken the liberty of undercoating a few other members of the B.P.R.D. as well. Though I’m not sure whether I’ll finish any of the other models in time.

20 comments:

  1. moonknight has turned out really nice. An all white figure is always a bit of a challenge. I also need to get me a hellboy. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers CM. Still a bit to do on Moon Knight. Hellboy was quite simple to buy, it was the rest of the B.P.R.D. which were harder to track down; some having to come from across the Atlantic.

      Delete
  2. I like them all, Simon, but Moon Knight is especially good. White is such a hard colour to get right but kudos to you for pulling it off so admirably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. Wish I'd spotted the bottle of "Vallejo" wash when I was doing my Albino Skink Champion Gluckle late last year. Now where's that SDE Great bear I've just glued together... ;-)

      Delete
  3. All looking good Bk. The Terran Feds are really coming along. Great job on Moon Knight, white can be just silly sometimes. My mate brought a product called Pale Wash to my attention the other day, it's designed to shade white and the results looked impressive.
    Can't wait to see Hellboy and his mates completed dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. Bit bored with the Terran Feds tbh, but once completed I'll be able to now have some rather large firefights Blake's Seven-style. The wash I use is a "Vallejo" one but I'll have a look out for Pale Wash. Hellbaby should be fun to paint - lot of detail on so tiny a model.

      Delete
  4. Good job on them all. The hellboy figures will be great for some 7ombieTV adventures I reckon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Have you seen my ideas sheet for future BatReps!?! :-)

      Delete
  5. Yes excellent work on the moonknight figure Simon. The fed toopers are coming along well too loved how the last lot turned out, funny how the figures look so much more menacing than the real things were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Just clearing up the Fed Sec backlog with the troopers tbh. I found the TV versions terribly frightening, but if I end up being the Freedom Fighters on the tabletop then I'm going to be seriously outnumbered.

      Delete
  6. As it should be, goodie are always the underdogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But they can't always just run off and let the blind lawyer get eaten by zombies, Roger ;-)

      Delete
  7. If I had my way all lawyers should be eaten by Zombies! followed by estate agent's and biscuits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biscuits!?! Why would zombies eat biscuits!?!

      Delete
  8. ha ha! OK no bicuits, maybe just a rat called Basil then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm. Biscuits.

    Those Terran boys look like they mean business. Black is definitely their color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Finch. Few more of 'em still on the painting table as well. But getting through them slowly but surely.

      Delete
  10. I take it your not a big fawlty towers fan then Simon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much prefer the first season, but the last one of the second season is very good too; albeit I remember it being a Siberian hamster ;-)

      Delete