|Two-Face WIP - The former Attorney just needs his face, hair and gun painted before being finished|
Continuing my project to create and game some rooftop shenanigans atop Gotham City’s skyline, I’ve not only managed to make a little progress on one of the metropolis’ more notorious criminal bosses, Two-Face. But also re-start painting yet another “Heroclix” model from Batman’s Rogues Galley, Basil Karlo – also known as Clayface.
Indeed the somewhat cartoony looking miniature has actually given me an opportunity to see how well “Vallejo” Heavy Red works as the basic layer for bricks, and as a result of ‘testing’ the colour out on the figure’s debris-laden base I’ve subsequently applied a couple of coats of the opaque water-based acrylic to my “Ainsty Castings” rooftop. Hopefully the resin scenery will only require another couple of layers, over its black undercoat, before I can wash it with some brown ink and get to work picking out the walls’ cream(ish) stone capping.
I have though also rebased and undercoated one of “Wizkids” better sculpts of Mister Freeze. Originally I had hoped to retain the miniature’s clear plastic head dome, which allows you to see Victor Fries’ face inside. Unfortunately though the quality of the pre-paint was atrocious as the bright red used for the supervillain’s goggles had been plastered all over the head. Having considered removing the head and reattaching it having tried to repaint it somehow, I finally decided that, somewhat disappointingly, the easiest and probably best solution, was going to be to simply paint the dome white… then wash it with some grey ink before dry-brushing with more white.
As a result of painting my “Ainsty Castings” rooftop, I’ve taken the opportunity to ‘dig out’ the rest of my resin ‘furniture’ and started to work out some different scenery configurations for my combatants to fight over. The company’s Chimney Stack is a particularly formidable-looking piece, and should certainly help ‘break up’ the semi-large over space of a roof. I’ve also found myself owning a number of pieces of air ducting which I’m not entirely sold on; predominantly because they’re rather delicate and without some serious preparation work look rather easy to snap off of the roof. It make therefore be that I simply superglue a couple of pieces into the odd corner, rather than have them ‘snaking’ around…
Finally I have unboxed my Pigeon Loft Roof Shed. It really is rather large, and although allows for the fight to move inside, seems a little too large for my initial 7” x 9.5” rectangular roof-space. The resin casting also needs a lot of clean-up before it’s ready for painting, so for now I’ll be concentrating on some of the other scenery. Although I have already thought of expanding the game to having two or more rooftops to enable larger skirmishes. Such a layout will require models to leap from building to building (or fly), which will hopefully add an additional risk factor to the game.