Saturday 1 August 2015

"Let's Break Out The Grown-Up Toys."

"I died before. It was boring, so I stood up."
This 28mm plastic “Wizkids” model of Moon Knight is miniature number 26 from the “Heroclix” Marvel Critical Mass range and is based upon the street-level vigilante, Marc Spector, as created by Doug Moench and Don Perlin in August 1975. The miniature was initially undercoated with “Vallejo” White before I applied a heavy wash of Pale Grey over the entire figure. Once this transparent acrylic was dry, I then dry-brushed the ‘Fist of Khonshu’ with more White. The former-mercenary’s face mask is actually as equally as white as the rest of his costume. But as it’s predominantly coloured black in the comic books, as a result of the shadow the superhero’s cowl causes, I thought I’d replicate the effect by painting it with some “Citadel” Abaddon Black.

The schizophrenic crime-fighter’s nunchaku and crescent moon chest emblem were picked out using some “Citadel” Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. In addition, in order to slightly break up the all-white monotony of the Moon God’s agent, I painted his throwing disc with Vallejo Gold before applying a wash of “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade to the weapon.
Robotman WIP - The superhero probably needs a third coat of "Vallejo" Heavy Red on his torso cabling
 Having found my painting ‘mojo’ temporarily disabled as a result of trying to recently paint some of the uninspiring “Guild Ball” miniatures by “Steamforged Games Ltd”, I’ve decided to spend August ‘clearing my decks’ and finishing off a number of past projects which have sat idly upon the edge of my worktable for the past few months. Unsurprisingly the vast majority of these figures are “Heroclix” superhero-based models, so to get things started I have finally managed to finish off the flesh highlights on my Silver Samurai and obtain a some nice deep red coverage on the Japanese flag emblem which dominates his shining chest armour.

I have also managed to start building up the “Vallejo” Heavy Red on the cables of my Robotman. I actually thought this leading member of “DC Comics” Doom Patrol would be a relatively straight forward figure to paint. But some of the sculpting of these cables is a little soft and hard to reach, especially under Clifford Steele’s arms.
Peter Cushion WIP - The elderly gentleman essentially just needs his flesh and grey hair to be completed
Finally I have been slowly progressing my adventurers by “Antediluvian Miniatures”. Professor Peter Cushion is rather close to completion in all honesty. Whilst Shug McClure shouldn’t be all that far behind him, now I’ve finished painting his dark brown trousers and ‘boxed off’ most of the explorer’s details with “Citadel” Abaddon Black.

18 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your finished Peter Cushion and Shug McClure! Such brillant figs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely... and its all because of your top posts that I found out about them, Gordon :-) Need to paint these up pretty fast too, as I plan on getting a fair few of "Antediluvian Miniatures" soon-to-be released Atlantis warriors as well as their Victorian dinosaurs.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see Robotman back on your table Simon, and the Antediluvian mini's too!

    I hope to have the Dino's on my table in the next couple of weeks, but I might save Peter and Doug till Mo'vember, it's no good shifting the blame on to Gordon! it's your fault that I bought them (well that my wife did anyway).

    I haven't seen the Atlantis stuff yet but I'll have to go and look now.

    Curse you Simon, you've even got Jez and myself twitching on doing Frostgrave warbands now, and neither of us own the blooming game.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Roger LOL :-) I'm looking forward to seeing your dinosaurs and saw you and Jez were talking about Frostgrave too. My "Gale Force Nine" scenery for that game has almost all arrived, and I have started painting my minis for it. I haven't given up on my "Guild Ball" either though to be fair. But I've a fair few minis I want to get done this month, so the models have to be ones I really want to paint rather than have to.

      Delete
  3. Lots of nice eye candy here, Simon. It's hard to pick out a favourite but if pushed I'd go for the Silver Samurai. I'm hoping to get the three Antediluvian heroes real soon. I'm just waiting for mine to come from America as I was lucky enough to win them in a recent blog contest. I already have the two big Victorian dinosaurs from the same range. They were also part of my prize but were sent directly from the manufacturer. I got really lucky. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I did see that you'd had a fantastic win and well-deserved too I must say. I do plan to pick up those Victorian dinos myself at some point too. Though I was a little disappointed to see that there is no "Heroclix" mini for Stegron (a spider-man villain) so I guess I'll probably use them for the Savage Lands or some such ;-)

      Delete
  4. You do find some amazing miniatures - Moon Knight is certainly a new one on me, but just had a good Google session on him. I also adore those Adventurers and like you found them through Gordon's blog - on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Micahel. There's a few Moon Knight "Heroclix" models out there. but this one (the first I think) is by far the best imho.

      I've been reviewing his latest "Marvel" adventures on my comic book blog if you're interested. Link to my most recent issue is here: http://thebrownbagaeccb.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/moon-knight-14-marvel-comics.html

      Those Adventurers are great and Gordon's blog is a real wallet-killer from time to time as he does post some cracking new models ;-)

      Delete
  5. Great to see you clearing the decks Bk. I love that Peter Cushion figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. Definitely a 'clearing decks' month imho. Cushion is a cracker isn't he :-)

      Delete
  6. Very nice mate. Like in the Moon Knight he is one cool customer with his weaponry. I need to do something similar got a couple of figs that need a few bits here and there to get them finished so may join you. I have a Ms.Lovely day to distract me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I'm a huge "Moon Knight" fan (if you couldn't tell from my comic blog ;-) ). Lots of nice minis to finish off, so hopefully my desk will be reasonably clear by September. I haven't bought that particular "Crooked Dice" mini yet so I'll be very interested in seeing how you get on with it. There's certainly a lot of detail on it ;-)

      Delete
  7. Moon Knight and Robotman - two of my favourite comics characters: well done with those and with the other minis sir. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pulpcitizen. Big fan of "Moon Knight" and "The Doom Patrol".

      Delete
  8. Top notch, BK.

    Just when I've managed to push those Antediluvian minis to the back of my mind, they show up somewhere front and center. My resolve is fading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch. The adventurers are well worth a look I assure you ;-)

      Delete
  9. Very nice Moonknight sir. The metallic details make the difference for sure.

    Silver Samurai is likewise cool.

    Guildball not inspiring? Sad. Have been enjoying your work on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Dai. "Guild Ball" is not dead I assure you, as I've almost finished Blackheart. I've just found it somewhat tough going what with his head popping off mid-way through painting him etc.

      Delete