Tuesday 6 December 2016

“Terrifying Horn Blasts Ring Out As They Charge…”

"...Their deafening clarion call resounding in the enemy's ears..." 
These three 28mm “Slaughter-kin” have been built using the "finely detailed plastic" Bloodletters of Khorne kit produced by “Games Workshop” for “Age Of Sigmar”, and were assembled to not only depict two of “the Blood God’s followers”, but also the unit’s musician known as a Hornblower; an especially fearsome Khorne daemon who causes opponents to “re-roll [their] Battleshock Tests of 1 for units that are within 6 inches” of the instrumentalist.

“Festooned with rippling muscles, [and] knotted sinews”, all three of the figures were treated to two layers of “Vallejo” Heavy Red before being generously washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. The “blood-hungry” warriors were then dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Heavy Red and, as I am still very much enamoured with a colour scheme depicted within “The General’s Handbook”, had all their horns, hands, hooves, spines and sword hilts undercoated with “Citadel” Abaddon Black. Afterwards, most of these ‘blackened’ areas were blended into the surrounding spotted skin courtesy of some careful dry-brushing.
"...Even as the Bloodletters' blades, claws and fangs rip through their flesh."
With the majority of the Bloodletters’ flesh completed, I subsequently turned my attention to their formidable Hellblades, as well as the musician’s great horn, by priming the weapons/instrument with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna. These parts were then treated to a double layer of Gold, a hearty wash of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and a robust dry-brush using more “Vallejo” Gold.

Finally, I painted all of the Crimson Death’s teeth with White and their forked tongues with Heavy Ochre, before washing them with "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade and Reikland Fleshshade respectively.
The Mausoleum WIPs - Three long-dead skeleton warriors in various states of completion
Having made a nice sizeable ‘dent’ in my Bloodletter backlog for “Age Of Sigmar”, I have momentarily turned my attention back to the horde of skeletons by “North Star Military Figures” I want to field for the “Frostgrave” scenario entitled “The Mausoleum”. I’ve now developed quite a productive little painting line of miniatures, having added a fourth sculpt to my current queue, and am resultantly progressing through their soiled garments and ragged clothes apace.

However, with my eye on the imminent commencement of the Seventh Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, I am a little wary of beginning work on any new models unless it be to simply prime their base with my usual “Citadel” Abaddon Black or undercoat the mini itself with an appropriately pigmented paint. Any miniature I progress beyond this initial stage won’t unfortunately be eligible for entry and as my target once again is 500 points (approximately 100 x 28mm miniatures over three months) I am rather keen to make every stroke of my paintbrush count. 

20 comments:

  1. WHile not a Chaos or Bloodletters fan I must say he is looking rather good.

    The creature from the Crypt (Crypt just sounded better than mausoleum!) Is also looking first rate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. Much appreciated. I've actually now finished my first three "Frostgrave" skeletons, so they should be posted up soon.

      Delete
  2. You seem to be knocking these out at quite a rate Simon, so your target figure should easily be achievable. Great work on the pieces so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I'm certainly feeling the painting mojo currently :-) I've been successful in the two AHPC I've participated in before (both being 500pt targets), but a lot of the points have come from bonus round submissions. This year I simply want to achieve it by painting the tonne :-)

      Delete
  3. Cracking work on your skellies, Simon. They could just as easily double as zombies for "Zombicide: Black Plague".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan and indeed they could. In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did ;-)

      Delete
  4. Great work on the bloodletters, great colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. I wanted something simple yet effective as I've a lot of Khorne models to paint in 2017.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on the lesser daemons of the blood god! Cracking job. Nice work on the Frostgrave undead figures as well. I do like the look of these I must admit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I especially like the Bloodletters as they make a nice contrast to the green of Nurgle.

      Delete
  6. I'm hoping to see some group shots of all your Khorne and Nurgle armies together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just three more Bloodletters to finish painting Gordon, and I'll certainly be doing a group shot of the completed unit of Khorne daemons :-)

      Delete
  7. Your bloodletters colourings is great, suitably demonic imo nad the skeletons re coming along nicely too.
    Good plan for the Challenge btw and 10028s should be acheivable, given your output.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I'm certainly happy with how the "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade work together. Fingers crossed for the AHPC; although I do have a number of simple 28mm models already prepped to paint during the three months in order to help my cause.

      Delete
  8. Good Bloodletters. How many's that now? Sacred 8? Or are you aiming for a unit of 10?

    When will we get some pics of some Frostgrave gaming mate? Must have enough to get a small one going by now, surely? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I need three more Bloodletters in order to field a minimum strength unit of ten; and one of those is already finished (with another close behind). Just as soon as my ten "Frostgrave" skeletons are finished I'll be doing a BatRep as Conan faces the challenge of “The Mausoleum.

      Delete
  9. outstanding work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have to agree that though not really my cup of tea the colours on the bloodletters is very effective, the skelly is top notch too.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I've got one more Bloodletter (Icon Bearer) to finish before the Khorne Daemons unit is finished, and my first three "Frostgrave" skeletons should be posted at the weekend :-)

      Delete