Thursday 8 December 2016

"Keep Calm And Carry On."

"By this stage of the war the British army had gained considerable experience of modern warfare..."
This 28mm metal model is from the "West Wind Productions" "Secrets Of The Third Reich" blister B-SOTR05 British Commando Carbines. However, rather than use the miniature for Andy Cooper's "Weird WWII game", this Tommy will actually form part of a minimum strength (Regular) Infantry Section for "Konflikt '47" by "Warlord Games". Indeed, my completion of the rifleman now means I can actually field the simplest of reinforced platoons for Great Britain and the Commonwealth using figures taken from my painted "SotTR" collection.

Unfortunately, painting a model in order to match the colour scheme for a force assembled some years ago has not proved an easy task as I have had to partially step away from many of the now 'out of production' "Games Wokrshop" Foundation paints and washes I originally used for my British Commando Carbines, and instead replace them with alternatives from other manufacturers such as "Vallejo".
The Silence WIPs - As soon as the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge starts these aliens will get some attention
As a result the model was initially primed using "Citadel" Doombull Brown (as opposed to Dark Flesh) and washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade (instead of "Citadel" Devlan Mud). Once dry the rifleman's weapon was painted using "Vallejo" Charred Brown, Iraqi Sand and "Citadel" Ironbreaker, and these areas were then appropriately washed with either more Strong Tone Quickshade or "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

Because I still own a pot of Calthan Brown, I was able to paint the soldier's bullet proof vest with its 'original' colour, and also 'pick out' the infantryman's gas mask filter with a long-forgotten pot of "Citadel" Knarloc Green too. A rummage through my collection of pigments even located an unopened tub of Devlan Mud, making it possible to darken both the Tommy's piece of personal armour and his breathing apparatus with the OOP wash. 
Trinity WIPs - These sculpts of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are fantastically detailed
With the commencement of the Seventh Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge fast approaching I have additionally been spending a portion of my hobby-time basing and preparing a number of other models. The vast percentage of these figures have unintentionally turned out to be produced by "Warlord Games" and none have proved quite so tantalising to finish before the start of the three-month long competition than the company's latest "Doctor Who" release, The Silence. These "genetically engineered 7 foot tall mouthless creatures" should be reasonably straightforward to complete on account of their predominantly grey/black colour scheme, and somewhat tower over the other figures currently found within the "Into the Time Vortex" range.

Far less simple to paint, or even assemble for that matter, are these three "Knight Models" sculpts from the Batman Verses Superman: Trinity DC Universe Miniature Game Starter Set. These models are certainly taller than your average 'heroic scale' figure, but due to their 'realistic' anatomical proportions they've needed a bit of pinning and realigning in order to come together... 

32 comments:

  1. I like them all. If we lived close I would happily play against you in a Weird War 2 game and be very happy to do so.

    I should (fingers crossed) do another SotTR post tomorrow. (Woolf Runners) But I could only find 1 pack. (I thought I had 3 packs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clint, I too would thoroughly enjoy a game with yourself. I look forward to seeing your Wolf Runners painted as I've not ever owned those troops and was wondering whether they'd make good proxies for a German Schreckwulfen Squad (werewolves)

      Delete
  2. Remember paint schemes is hard enough, I write them down most times and then years later can't find them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah... That's one of the reasons I do this blog tbh, and was thus able to go back to some early postings for my Commando with Carbine recipe.

      Delete
  3. looking forward to seeing the Silence in the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin. Hopefully it'll be three models down and just ninety-seven to go ;-)

      Delete
  4. Great work on the Tommy, the silence as you say should be a quick paint and look to have good detail so should be easy to pick them out quick. The super hero's certainly look like a challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I'm glad to have managed to get the Tommy painted in line with his colleagues. Fortunately the colour scheme on both Batman and Superman looks reasonably achievable... just not sure about all the detail on Wonder Woman.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the Silents finished...still curious to see how the new Warlord stuff fits in with the CD not-Who stuff. I get the impression that there is a significant difference in size...not an issue for Daleks and various baddies but maybe so with Doctors and Companions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. I'll do a comparison shot with some "Black Tree Design" and "Crooked Dice" not-Who figures when I finish my next "Warlord Games" Dr Who miniature.

      Delete
    2. Brilliant. That'll be very handy!

      Delete
    3. No worries, my friend, the least I can do for someone who has cost me so much money with their blogging temptations ;-)

      Delete
  6. Awesome work on the SOTR British I do like the Westwind stuff though some are a little awkwardly posed in the ranges. Nice start to the trinity they are taller because the are 35mm scale not 28mm :) I haven't gotten these yet but I am very tempted. I am hoping we get rules for the Batman game for them which I prefer to the Marvel rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I was struggling to find the actual scale of the "Knight Models" tbh. I doubt I'll be playing the actual tabletop game (although I have the rulebooks) but "7TV" instead.

      Delete
  7. I like them all, Simon. I don't have any Weird War Allied troops, which is an oversight on my part.

    I've read some negative comments about the Silence being too big but they are meant to be tall. I have no criticisms to make against them.

    Your DC superheroes are beautiful sculpts but I think I'll stick with my Heroclix figures. Best of look painting them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I've seen a picture of the Silents in scale with Matt Smith's Doctor and they're clearly meant to tower over the timelord. So I too have no issues with their height. I'll still be painting plenty of "Heroclix", but the "Knight Model" sculpts were impossible to resist.

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to your Challenge entries as always. Nice work on the Tommy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Its always a pleasure painting whilst chatting to you :-)

      Delete
  9. I love the wonder Woman sculpt best, very flowing and life like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is an absolute corking sculpt, isn't she.

      Delete
  10. That Tommy looks like something out of a 30's era Cthulhu-esque tale. Probably the faceless quality?

    I swear that Silence fig is "dabbing". I like the details of the sculpts, but the pose on that one with arm-outstretched is strange.

    In contrast, those DC heroes look amazing. Really looking forward to seeing them painted up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. The "Cthulhu-esque" look of the Tommy is probably the gas-mask. That particular Silent sculpt is rather disconcertingly two-dimensional imho, but perhaps once painted and photographed it'll come more to life. There are none better for superheros than "Knight Models" - once they've been assembled!!

      Delete
  11. All good stuff Simon, I quite like the idea of "Weird war 2". The silence figure looks quite creepy, but you know my opinion of the newer DW stuff. The three DC sculpts are top notch (even if the film wasn't all it could have been), and that Wonder Woman fig is a real beauty.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Hopefully you'll enjoy the "Konflikt '47" stuff once I start posting up some BatReps. They'll be simple zombie-fests to begin with I'm sure ;-) The "Doctor Who" stuff continues to impress me tbh, even if the TV series didn't and as you say, Wonder Woman etc are awesome sculpts - hopefully I don't fluff them up!!

      Delete
    2. "Wonder Woman etc are awesome sculpts - hopefully I don't fluff them up!!" sorry didn't notice the "fluff" her shorts must be smaller than I noticed! (and as you say the amount of detail must be astounding!!!). Sorry I'll fetch me coat....

      Delete
    3. That's definitely a yellow card for smuttiness, Roger ;-)

      Delete
    4. Oh good, one life left then.

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
  12. ecletic collection (as usual ?), but some great sculpts. Love the BAtman pose but can't seem to get away with WOnder Woman with a sword , but then again my knoledge of such things is very limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. The "DC Universe Miniatures Game" starter set is based upon the characters as portrayed in the recent "Batman verses Superman" movie - hence the sword; albeit Wonder Woman is an Amazonian and has long been depicted with such a weapon.

      Delete
  13. Apologies for the late comment. Your mention of the Konflict '47 game sent me over to look at Warlord's stuff. I especially like the Tesla tank - would work well for the conematic version of Captain America.
    I quite like the concept of the Silence, but these sculpts are a bit too static.
    The Knight Models 'trinity' are lovely sculpts, as you'd expect, and whilst i've not yet seen Batman v Superman, the trailer for the new Wonder Woman film does look rather good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Jez. The Silence sculpts certainly seem to have taken some stick on other forums, but I think they're okay. Hopefully "Wonder Woman" will be an easier film to watch than her model was to assemble!!

      Delete