Sunday 18 December 2016

"The Man Of Steel Is Coming Through!"

"It's the cybernetic hero known as Steel -- Now perhaps Earth's most powerful being!" 
This 28mm pre-painted plastic model of Steel is by “Wizkids” and can be bought as number 068 from their “Heroclix” DC Origin range. Created by Louise Simonson and Jon Bogdanove, Doctor John Henry Irons designed and donned a suit of powered armour in Superman's memory following Kal-El's fatal battle against Doomsday. The second comic book character to be known as Steel, the "brilliant weapons engineer for AmerTek Industries" made his first appearance in the June 1993 issue of "DC Comics" "The Adventures of Superman".

Initially undercoated with “Citadel” Ironbreaker in order to completely mask the figure's original pre-paint, the model was subsequently washed with Nuln Oil before being dry-brushed with more Ironbreaker. The superhero's cape was painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.
"Heroclix" WIPs - Robotman, Captain America and Doctor Doom
Sticking with my "Heroclix" collection, the completion of Steel has helped galvanise me into placing more partially-painted "Wizkids" miniatures onto my painting table. Models such as Robotman and Captain America have stood abandoned to one side of my brush pot for far too long, and as a result I have spent some time cleaning up my previous work on Cliff Steele' mechanical alter-ego, whilst slowly working my way around the Sentinel of Liberty's famous shield.

In addition to trying to finish off some of these old mini-projects, I have also been busy chopping other "Heroclix" figures' off of their 'clicky bases' and priming them ready for the start of next week’s Seventh Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. One collection of models which have especially captured my imagination is half a dozen Doombots lead by their master and "the archenemy of the Fantastic Four", Doctor Doom...
"Frostgrave" WIPs - This models are slowly being progressed from their leather boots up
Finally I am still persevering with my goal to paint enough “North Star Military Figures” plastic skeletons with which to game the “Frostgrave” rule-book scenario entitled “The Mausoleum”. Disappointingly though, I've found my momentum for this particular project rather deflated on account of the models I'm currently progressing all consisting of assorted pieces taken from the Frostgrave Soldiers twenty multi-part hard plastic boxed set; a somewhat softly-detailed range of models which badly derailed my aspirations of a swiftly-assembled Witch warband this time last year.

32 comments:

  1. The superheroes all look excellent Simon, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, still a bit of work to do on Robotman and Captain America, and I'm saving Doctor Doom until the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, but now Steel has been finished I should soon have them done too.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of Steel or Robotman before but you've done a good job on painting them. Captain America's white star on his shield needs repainting, but you probably knew that already. That is a cool Doc Doom figure. Keep persevering with the skeletons. They'll look great once you finish them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Both Robotman and Captain America still have quite a bit to paint before they're finished (hence they're WIPs ;-) ). With hindsight I should have stuck all the skeletons together using the Cultist bodies, but I think I've just got a couple assembled using the Soldier torsos, so I will keep going.

      Delete
  3. Some lovely work there.

    Also nice to hear (on my blog) the figures have arrived. I shall look forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, and yes, they'll be a US Forces "Konflikt '47" posting coming soon, and your generous gift has inspired me to dig out my own American "SotTR" forces.

      Delete
  4. ALl looking mighty fine...especially love the Cap pose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. They'll be a string of "Heroclix" postings soon as I start finishing off a number of minis which I partially-painted this year.

      Delete
  5. Damn, I thought I was ahead of the game when I saw the title "Man of Steel" - but it turns out it wasn't Superman!
    Great figure though and you've made a difficult paintjob look great.
    I still like the 'alternate' skeltons for your Frostgrave venture too - don't lose hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Just to make matters more confusing John Irons originally called himself "Man of Steel", but then shortened it to just Steel at Superman's request. It is a cracking figure imho with the cloak proving especially nice to paint. I won't be quitting on the "Frostgrave" skeletons anytime soon, but I may need to work a couple of simpler skeletons alongside them.

      Delete
  6. Whilst not a Superman fan, I did collect all four titles during the "Reign of the Supermen" storyline, so am familiar with the character of Steel. And that is a particularly nice Dr. Doom sculpt. Looking forward to seeing them all finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. Steel is certainly my fave of the 'new' Supermen. I've actually bought a second copy of Doctor Soom to paint white so as to portray God Doom from the "Secret Wars" storyline.

      Delete
    2. Was never ever a superman fan at all, until Batman V Superman film. No idea why but that `movie` really did it for me and awoke a new interest in this alien guy. Maybe `cos he wasn't all goodie goodie two shoes, he was cold and quite evil actually.

      Delete
    3. If that's the case Steve, I think you'll appreciate the "Justice League" movie as I understand Superman dons his black costume for that; though whether or not he'll come armed with loads of high-tech weaponry remains to be seen ;-)

      Delete
    4. Ooooh, sorry to hijack this thread but that got my interest). Is Justice League out yet, have I missed it?

      Delete
    5. Don't worry Tarot. "Justice League" isn't due out until November 2017; you've still got another year to wait.

      Delete
    6. OOo, thank you for that. this is one I will very much look forward to.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done Simon, and a very nice finish to his armour mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. it turned out to be more of a polish than a dry-brush of "Citadel" Ironbreaker; if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  8. Great job on steel and the the other hero's are progressing nicely. On the skele's have you ever tried the drybrush technique of undercoat brown all over, then drybrush bone all over, then use washes to colour the clothing not very detailed but makes a quick dent in painting up hordes of the undead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I have considered a few 'fast-paint' techniques in my time; most especially using dip. But I have always reverted back to my black-lining style as I dislike different styles on the tabletop. Tbh I'm usually a reasonably fast painter, so ten of something isn't necessarily an issue - what is the sculpts not making things straightforward, and some of the "Frostgrave" sculpts simply don't inspire me. I have though got a bit more done this evening, so I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

      Delete
    2. I admire your perseverance, and the fact you want to keep it all the same style. I have too many unfinished projects where the sculpt has left me uninspired. One day I will have to get back on with them, but not this day ! LOL

      Delete
    3. There really is nothing worst than a lack-lustre or overly detailed mini to kill a project dead in its tracks, Dave. I've even heard the plastic "Frostgrave" Soldier minis being referred to on another blog as 'project killers'; and I genuinely think they are too. Fortunately, this last week has been all about painting unfinished models, and I've got a few completed as a result. Perhaps next year we can set aside a month to do some more ;-)

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful character Simon, I've missed your wonderful selection of miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Glad you're back commenting. Much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  10. Really nice stuff all of them.

    Cheer's Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Still a few more painted minis to come for 2016. Hope the Top Ten is going well ;-)

      Delete
  11. hmmmmm yep, this thread has really got the inspiration juices working here hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear, Steve. More super-heroes coming too...

      Delete
  12. Can never have too many undead. Good to see work being done on more of them.

    Steel was post Death of Superman, right? Not know much about him, but your version looks suitably imposing.

    Capt America and Doom were two of my first action figures back in the early 80's from the Secret Wars line or some such. These two look very similar to my addled memory of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm just basing my latest "Frostgrave" skeleton, so he should be posted up early in the New year. You're spot on about Steel - my fave of the 'new' Supermen. Plus I'm hoping to re-enact some "Secret Wars" stuff at some point so both Cap and Victor will be painted up for that :-)

      Delete