Sunday 4 February 2018

"Nein, Little Man. You Will Help Us Find Your Friend..."

"...If you want to keep that face of yours."
This 28mm plastic “Wizkids” model of Plasmus is miniature number 015 from the DC Comics "Heroclix" Arkham Asylum range and is based upon the super-villain Otto Von Furth, who, whilst working as a mine worker in East Berlin, Germany, was accidentally exposed to radioactive radium during an unexpected cave-in. Created by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez, the unstable protoplasmic mutate can liquefy solid matter with "his burning touch" and made his first comic book appearance in the December 1981 issue of "The New Teen Titans".

The former member of the Brotherhood of Evil was initially primed with "Vallejo" Squid Pink in order to eradicate his somewhat garish-coloured pre-paint and subsequently washed with "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade and Carroburg Crimson. The figure was then dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Squid Pink before having receiving an all-over wash of watered-down "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.
Putrid Blightking WIP - Having finished his leg armour and sword's patina, the warrior's bloated belly is next 
At this point I was rather tempted to finish the model off with a coat of my usual "Coat D'arms" Gloss Varnish. However, having studied Otto's entry in the "DC Comics" Wikipedia, I noticed that his main illustration depicted Plasmus wearing a pair of black shorts. Glancing at my figure's chemically converted body I spotted that the sculpt was indeed wearing a similar costume; albeit "Wizkids" had clearly decided not to 'pick it out'. As a result I applied some "Citadel" Abaddon Black to Von Furth's attire, and then decided to 'highlight' his eyes with a dab or two of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre.

Moving on to this month's "Maggotkin Of Nurgle" goal, I have made some additional progress to the first of my four Putrid Blightkings. However, as there's so much detail on this particular model I'm finding for every couple of steps forwards I take, I inevitably have to return to a previously painted part and rework it as a result of somehow managing to erroneously catch it with my paint-brush. Luckily though, I'm currently finding the favoured of Nurgle to be so much fun to pigment that I'm not finding the repeated 'touch-ups' too arduous a task...
Plaguebearer & Nurgling WIPs - The followers of the Plague God have been primed, washed and dry-brushed
In addition, I have started work on four of the tiny Nurglings which come with the "Games Workshop" Plaguebearers of Nurgle boxed set. These little chappies don't play any actual purpose in "Age Of Sigmar", but are instead ordinarily utilised to adorn the bases of other Nurgle warriors. I thought these particular sculpts though were worthy of their own stands, and thought they'd make 'cute' damage markers for some of my Host's larger creatures.

Lastly, I've applied a little paint to the first of nine Plague Drones I own. These Rot Fly riders will hopefully provide my Tallyband with some much needed missile attacks, as well as speed, and weigh in at a hefty 200 points per three models. For now I'm simply focusing on the drones' "high-ranking Plaguebearers", but expect to see the odd "Prehensile Proboscis" being primed soon...

18 comments:

  1. Plasmus looks cool! I really like how the paint job has turned out. Of course, I've never heard of the character... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Roy :-) Many thanks indeed, I'm really enjoying all these old "Heroclix" minis currently. Can't believe I started so many without finishing them off.

      Delete
  2. Great looking Plasmus Simon, and great work on the continued rot of Nurgle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, I'm hoping to get some of my Nurgle minis finished over the next few days. But there's also a lot of "Heroclix" yet to come.

      Delete
  3. Plasmus is another character I have never heard of before but he does look suitably menacing for a villain. Nice paint job, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. He's an old "New Teen Titans" foe, so unless you used to read "DC Comics" back in the Early Eighties, I'm not surprised :-)

      Delete
  4. I swear my dyslexia is getting worse. I read it as..."nein little man you will help us FOLD your friend!" You may imagine my distress as I was imagining being folded in all kinds of unnatural ways. With luck my disability gave you a laugh.

    All in all I strongly prefer the Nurgle inclined figures. I always wanted a Nurgle army but never got one... and too late for me now! (Yes I know I could still but I just feel odd walking into GW stores now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha, Clint, that did make me chuckle :-) I never cross the threshold of a "Games Workshop" store these days, as they are incredibly pricey. Far better to order online, imho, and I'd recommend either "Element Games" or "Dark Sphere Games"; both of which, even with their p&p, are considerably cheaper than "GW". The Nurgle Host starting box is excellent vfm too imho, and if you did fancy giving a force a start then that is what I'd suggest you acquire. Tempted? ;-)

      Delete
  5. Plasmus, (who I've never heard of, of course) is a great looking figure, despite his absurd looking shorts and your Blightking is looking very interesting, but I'm really looking forward to even more wondrous nurgle things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I think Plasmus looks better with his shorts than without tbh. Plenty of Nurgle coming, as I start to get properly to grips with the Plague God's minions.

      Delete
  6. Well, the never-ending pile of Heroclix models produces another new villain! I think he looks very icky (in a good way) and that you have captured the radiation burned look I guess his skin would have. It looks painful, so I guess I that he explains why he is so grumpy! Love the Nurgle stuff, so great to see the progress you have made. I think the Blightkings are awesome so I don't blame you for lavishing so more care and attention. You cant have too many Nurglings so great to see those too. They look so cheeky and loveable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I've a few more "Heroclix" en route, some of which are more recognisable than others. Plus bags of Nurgle too :-)

      Delete
  7. Another blast from the past, back from when Nightwing's costume was more...disco. lol. Is Monsieur Mallah in your painting queue too? Plasmus does look like I recall him, so good work, Simon.

    And MORE Nurgle?! Must be quite a substantial force you have now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. I do own a Monsieur Mallah, having painted the Brain quite a few years ago. But he's not currently in my painting queue. Lots more Nurgle to come, as I want to break the 1,000 point barrier this month for "Age Of Sigmar".

      Delete
  8. Great job on Plasmus mate love the skin tone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I was a bit worried about him at first, but I think he's turned out far better than the original paint-job :-)

      Delete
  9. Very nice work on Plasmus, one of my favourite villains. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. A simple "Heroclix", which has turned out much for the better I feel.

      Delete