Sunday 25 February 2018

"-- The Baboon! He Too Was Affected By The Cosmic Rays!"

"He now has the power to change his shape -- To turn into a copy of anything!"
This 28mm plastic “Wizkids” model of the Super Ape Igor is miniature number 019 from the Supernova Marvel "Heroclix" range and is based upon one of the three trained apes the Red Ghost used in order to attack the Fantastic Four when he battled the super-group on the moon. Mutated by Cosmic Rays, the baboon had the "ability to transform himself into any shape" he wanted as long as the shape was "roughly equal to his normal size." He was created by Stan Lee and artist Jack "King" Kirby for the April 1963 issue of "The Fantastic Four".

"Trained to assist in lab work and in operating spaceships" the monkey was initially given a double undercoat of "Vallejo" Heavy Brown, so to completely cover its original pre-paint, and then shaded with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. The model was subsequently dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Heavy Brown and had his eyes 'dotted in' with a dab of "Citadel" Abaddon Black.
Putrid Blightking WIPs - The warrior has had all his bronze weaponry weathered and dry-brushed
I'm rather keen this month to try and finish at least another three Putrid Blightkings for my "Age Of Sigmar" Nurgle Host, but despite being a lot of fun to paint, these multi-part plastic "Games Workshop" miniatures contain an incredible amount of detail to apply a brush to. Moreover, the recent release and immediate purchase of the faction's "Blightwar" boxed set means that I'm fast becoming overrun with pustules to 'pick out', glistening pink entrails to paint and plenty of boils to burst.

To matters worse, I've also started collecting the "corpulent cornucopia of new models" the Nottingham-based company have begun selling in order to support their "Battletome: Maggotkin of Nurgle", and have an eye on expanding my Khorne force with Marakarr Blood-Sky, due to the much-publicised "Malign Portents" campaign which is currently running nationwide...
Daleks and Fisher King WIPs - Early days on all three miniatures currently
"Warlord Games" are proving equally as troublesome in the sheer amount of boxed sets they are currently producing. This month alone they've already helped stack my shelves with "The Eleventh Doctor And Companions", "Voyage Of The Damned" and "Tomb of The Cybermen" boxed sets, and these have followed almost straight upon the heels of last month's "Movellans" and "Maximum Extermination!" kits.

With next month arguably looking just as tempting I've shuffled into my queue a pair of their "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" plastic Daleks (with one being painted up as an Emperor's Personal Guard), as well as pinned my spare Fisher King model on top of a resin podium, in order to 'convert' it into another bronze statue. I'm hoping to get both Kaled mutants finished reasonably quickly, with the terrain piece probably taking a bit longer to complete...

20 comments:

  1. Nice work on the super ape Simon, the blightking is progressing well, and nice work on the who models

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yhanks Dave. Insanely simple stuff on Igor, obviously, but it let me finish a mini whilst still working on the Putrid Blightking :-)

      Delete
  2. Pustules, entrails and bursting boils that so reminds me of my face in the teenage years. A space monkey eh, was that an early version of Rocket Racoon I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Phil :-) The Super-Apes pre-date Rocket by some considerable years, so I'm not sure whether they in any way influenced Bill Mantlo to create his raccoon or not.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry but Igor does nothing for me - same as your Nurgle stuff. however, I was fascinated by all the new stuff coming out for Doctor Who. I could easily put in another £75+ order and get a second free Fisher King to do as you're doing - turn him into a statue. Good idea, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd certainly be surprised if my Igor won any painting competitions too, Bryan :-) Just a simple mini to get out of the way whilst I lavish my attention upon all things Nurgle. "Doctor Who" statues certainly seem to be the way to go in my books for my spare models as it'b be nice to do a table with lots of them dotted about.

      Delete
  4. I have to admit to originally read your title as "Badoon" so was a little surprised by the size of the model, but once I re-read it, it made sense. Cant say I remember that story though.

    I like the work you've done on the Nurgle pawnbroker (or is the symbol on his sword coincidence?).

    And as for the Daleks, well came you have to many Daleks??

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. Igor was a quick win to give me more time to progress my Blightkings - I really like these models have a lot more to paint over the coming weeks to help bolster my Nurgle Host with :-)

      I never noticed the signage before - that is a fairly typical Nurgle one too, so perhaps they were inspired by the secured loan service ;-)

      I've another four more "Warlord Games" Daleks to shade and dry-brush, so loads more pepper-pots are en-route :-)

      Delete
  5. And I have to admit I initially read the first line as Super Ape Ivor lol! Good stuff Simon! Really like those colors on the Blightking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha Hah! Cheers Ivor. I do like the different colours you can give to a Blightking mini; just wish they were a little less-detailed though :-)

      Delete
  6. Yet another super hero I haven't heard of! As you say a simple paint job on the Baboon, but well executed nonetheless. The Blightking is looking awesome and you can use Marakar Bloodsky with your Nurgle forces too as she is the Harbinger for all of Chaos (her faction is actually Slaves to Darkness). More Daleks is also nice to see. Another enjoyable read Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. Hoping to have the Blightking finished this evening, and then straight onto the next one!! I've yet to assemble the Darkoath Warqueen, as I'm a bit tempted to do Eisenhorn first ;-) I want the Daleks done to give me some more factions for both "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" and "M.I.S.S." :-)

      Delete
  7. Ah, the Red Ghost and his Super-Apes...the first of several ill-fated attempts to gain similar powers to the FF. I remeber you doing the orangutan...have you got the full set? And will you be doing the U-Foes as well. I can't recall if they've ever faced the FF...I know the Hulk had a run in with them during his Pantheon days.

    And as Roger says, ypu can never have TOO many daleks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. I don't own any of the other Red Ghost Super-Apes sadly, so no plans currently to finish the squad off yet but I am keeping an eye for them. I do own a few of the U-Foes though, having been a fan of them since my "Hulk" reading days, so they may well turn up a some point...

      Daleks... yep, never too many :-)

      Delete
  8. Love the baboon, not that spectacular mayb, but boy , does he have character!
    More goodies too to come, Daleks especially looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Character Igor certainly does have, and perhaps he'd make a good pet for one of your "Jimland" expeditions? Lots more Nurgle coming, and "Doctor Who" obviously :-)

      Delete
  9. Nice job on the ape. Sounds like a fun character to for the F4 to fight against. Nice progress on the Blightking and Daleks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. it's nice to just do a straight forward mini for a change, whilst focusing on a more-detailed one alongside it.

      Delete
  10. Ape? But apes by definition do not have tails. Nitpicky of me, I know. :P Regardless, he fits the bill from your description.

    Those Blight Kings might be a pain in the rump due to details, but dang you make them look good! Excited to see a full unit shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I think Stan Lee has made a few bucks with this comic book lark of his, so if he wants to call a monkey an ape then I'm cool with it ;-)

      The Blightkings are major pains, but I'm slowly getting there and with just two to go before I've attained a minimum-sized unit, I don't plan to stop now :-)

      Delete