Thursday 1 February 2018

(Lead) Mountain Musings - "Maggotkin Of Nurgle" February 2018

Putrid Blightking WIP - The warrior has had the majority of his armour base-coated in either black or brown
This month's randomly themed attempt to try and reduce my overwhelming collection of metal, plastic and resin miniatures has been superseded by the release of the "Maggotkin Of Nurgle" Chaos Battletome by "Games Workshop", and my utter inability to resist many of the Nottingham-based manufacturer's latest models for this "Age Of Sigmar" army. However, as I have now entered the third month of my inaugural, Partially-Painted Pledge challenge, and am somewhat behind my tally target, I felt I should first finish painting a number of formerly started Nurgle figures, before I embark upon any of the range's newest "vile and wretched beings".

To begin with I have turned my gaze upon four Putrid Blightkings which have sat hidden within a metal tin for far too long. I actually painted the leader of these "enormous, bloated warriors", the Blightlord, early last year and subsequently done little else with the rest of the boxed set except assemble and prime its contents. Fortunately, a unit of five Blightkings costs 180 points in-game, and their completion will finally allow me to attain something of a mini-goal in being able to field over 1,000 points of pure Nurgle units; as opposed to my current ploy of selecting a Balewind Vortex (spell), Slambo or Khorne allies in order to make up the points...
Vertical Wall Bookshelf WIPs - The resin and mdf piece has been primed, washed and dry-brushed
Considering that the Putrid Blightkings boxed set is a "105-piece plastic kit" there's a tremendous amount of detail to be found on the miniatures, so I've picked a fairly standard 'sword and shield' "favoured mortal" to begin with which should allow me to paint some rusty armour and bronze patina, as well as dirty reds, browns, boils and sores. In addition, it should help re-familiarise me with the painting palette/techniques I usually apply to any of models which are "festering with pustules and plague."

Stepping out of "the Mortal Realms" momentarily, I was recently very pleased to be sent a four-piece Vertical Wall Bookshelf by "N-FX Game Design Studio". This "resin and mdf" terrain piece is wonderfully sculpted, packed full of all sorts of books and tomes, and makes for a marvellous backdrop for the "Doctor Who" monsters, the Vashta Nerada. Indeed, having primed, washed and dry-brushed the scenic shelves, I've every intention of eventually recreating one of the British science fiction television series' classic corridor chase scenes as shown during the 2008 story "Silence In The Library".
"Heroclix" WIPs - The Wendigo, the Destroyer, and a converted Easy Company Soldier
I also plan to continue progressing a number of my unfinished "Heroclix" figures by "Wizkids", such as the NECA (National Entertainment Collectibles Association) subsidiary's sculpt of the "Marvel Comics" villain Wendigo; a curse which "strikes different people over time if they commit acts of cannibalism in the northern parts of Canada." In addition, I have a fair few straightforward paint-jobs planned for some of my more recent "Troll And Toad" acquisitions from across the Pond, like Thor's arch-nemesis, the Destroyer.

Lastly, I hope to take full advantage of my 'super-heroes' mojo by finishing off a conversion of "G.I. Zombie" which I actually assembled for the 2014 Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. I first encountered the lead for "DC Comics" sadly short-lived "Star-Spangled War Stories" series earlier that same year and decided to create my own version of Jared Kabe from a spare Easy Company Soldier when I disappointingly discovered "Wizkids" hadn't produced an official miniature of the "immortal". 

24 comments:

  1. Great start on the Blight lord, the book shelves look great, will you be picking out spines in different colours or going for the same collection look ?
    Great array of comic characters to be working on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dave. I'm hoping the Blightlords won't take long due to how wonderful they are. It'll be different spines etc on the books and hopefully all the comic book characters will soon be finished too :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are posting lots at the moment and judging by the varied things appearing you are very busy. I love the putrid Blightking wip, as you will probably remember the one you did last year was in my top ten so I have high hopes for this unit. Although, I am not looking forward to facing them on the battlefield because for battleline troops they are beasts in combat! The bookcases look cool, cant wait to see them done and as for the rest yet more eclectic goodness and another supper hero/villain I didnt know existed. Good stuff Sir and I cant wait to see 1000pts of Nurgle with all the added bonuses the battletome gives (gulp!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. Still quite a bit of work on the Blightkings to be done, but with "Kings Of War" fervor still high, it'll probably be a fantasy-themed few months... with a smattering of super-heroes too :-)

      Delete
  3. Busy aren't you. Looking good.Do you have much more on the pile of partially painted miniatures??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I have several boxes full of partially-painted, so plan to run the challenge for a few years yet - and that's without this year's minis which I subsequently abandon half-way done.

      Delete
  4. Your bookcases are superb, but don't give a sense of scale. Looking at them on their webstore, they are big! And that's not a bad thing. I'm very tempted to get some myself.
    Good work on the Heroclix stuff. I was just thinking, you could easily use Wendigo in a "Dracula's America" game as an alternative to the official sculpt by North Star. He's very dramatically posed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan, I thoroughly recommend "N-FX Game Design Studio" and will be showcasing quite a few of their products over the coming weeks, as they've kindly gifted me quite a few. Great call on Wendigo and "Dracula's America" :-)

      Delete
  5. what a great set of minis on the go Simon, those bookshelves look an amazing find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. To be honest though I didn't find the bookshelves, "N-FX Game Design Studio" kindly found me :-)

      Delete
  6. Love a bit of nurgle, he's going to look great, nice bookcases and the heroclix figures look interesting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I'm trying to make sure that there's plenty on show to cater for all tastes :-)

      Delete
  7. So many weird, yet wonderful things to look forward to and the library shelves will no doubt look magnificent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, as you can see I've got plenty to be getting on with :-)

      Delete
  8. Good luck with the latest raft of projects mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of awesomeness in this post. Those Book shelves look rather good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. "N-FX Game Design Studio" have very graciously gifted me a few of their resin sets, so I'm hoping to show off quite a few bits of their scenery over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  10. Great stuff Simon! I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon for giving some love to the bookshelves as well lol! They look to be the perfect fit for hiding the secret elevator in my 4Ground manor :) Thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ivor. Bandwagons are good, especially when they'll help you out with your projects :-)

      Delete
  11. Hi, I saw this on the Mordheim group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=407395176383260&set=pcb.10154929893001511&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Sadly I can't see it though nor see which Mordheim FB Group I need to join in order to do so :-(

      Delete
    2. The group is called Mordheim it has 6105 members. the post is by a gent called Adam Quidamcorvus Stefańczyk.... usual spelling ahem !!!

      Delete
    3. 6108 followers now, Phil, including me ;-) Marvellous work on those shelves - inspirational stuff. Thanks very much for thinking of me, I'll be using those shelves as reference material!!

      Delete