Tuesday 2 July 2019

(Lead) Mountain Musings - "Pulp City" July 2019

"Kitbash Games" WIPs - Doc Cosmos and Roughneck
After the disappointment of my previous two themed months, where instead of painting a unit of “Warhammer 40K” Chaos Space Marines and team of “Blood Bowl” Halflings I ultimately pigmented some more additions to my “Age Of Sigmar” Blades of Khorne warhost and a fistful of “Reaper Miniatures”, I thought I’d try to whittle away a little piece of my sizeable backlog by simply working on a handful of super-powered “Pulp City” figures. I’ve actually been collecting the odd model from this skirmish game “set in the 1980s” for some years, but haven’t really applied myself to the range due to my not wanting to learn yet another rule-set chock full of super-heroic abilities, villains and action points.

Very recently however, my interest in the tabletop line has been piqued by the news that “Pulp Monsters” and “Kitbash Games” have formed a partnership, and resultantly the resin “Supers Unlimited” models I own will “have rules profiles for Pulp City!” This announcement has kickstarted my enthusiasm to finish off the Roughneck miniature Leon Mallett of Pulp Citizen blog fame generously gifted me, as well as apply a brush to a few of my “Pulp City” purchases too.
"Pulp Monsters" WIPs - Comte Vendredi, the Red Baron and Tritonious have all been primed
Indeed, I’ve even gone so far as to ‘pick up’ a few of Leon’s spares for a very reasonable price, and, as part of that modest transaction, receive another of his excellent “Supers Unlimited” resin sculpts as a much appreciated freebie. Resultantly, I have based and primed “Covenant of Justice” member, Doc Cosmos, and begun re-working my previously partially-painted figure of Empire City’s masked vigilante, Roughneck.

Both of these figures should soon join my already finished Punchline on the tabletop, but in a slight twist of lore I aim to have the pair accompany my “Weird War Two” allies in their fight against the Nazi horde during the Mid-Sixties using a homemade rule-set, rather than for “Pulp City”. This ‘change of direction’ should allow me to both get the models straight onto the battlefield once they’re finished, and also somewhat ties-in with a few of the war-themed metal Supremes I own, such as the Red Baron.
"Reaper Miniatures" WIPs - Sherlock Holmes and a Deep Sea Diver
In fact, I’ve become so enthused with the idea of ‘folding’ these super-heroes in with my quite extensive fully-painted collection of “Secrets Of The Third Reich” models by “Westwind Productions”, that alongside the spectre-faced fly-boy I have assembled and undercoated the aquatic power-house Tritonious and Comte Vendredi (“riding on top of a Death Guard”). Hopefully this enthusiasm should lead me to quite quickly ‘polish off’ this initial handful of “Pulp City” goodness, as, having done some digging into my lead mountain, I’ve uncovered a fair few more colourful residents of the American West Coast metropolis.

Of course, my fascination over “Kitbash Games” partnership with “Pulp Monsters” doesn’t mean that I’ve slowed down painting some more “Reaper Miniatures”, as I’ve made plenty of progress on both my Deep Sea Diver and Sherlock Holmes figures. These welcome additions to my party of adventurers exploring “Gamma World” should be finished reasonably soon, and then I plan to test the foursome out against the machinations of Ape-X and his robotic Cyber-Reavers…

16 comments:

  1. You do keep introducing new superheroes etc., very much to my amazement - there are so many ! I do wonder at just how many super-powers writers can imagine.
    I like the Reaper Holmes figure even if he is, unusually imo, a bit dynamic!
    THe deep sea diver though I could see myself using - great figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Joe. The "Kitbash Games" minis are all from the mind of Leon Mallet, whilst the "Pulp Monsters" stuff is all non-comic based too - as far as I'm aware. Glad you like the "Reaper Miniatures" stuff, as Sherlock Holmes came with a few hand options like a book and magnifying glass (which broke), as memory serves.

      Delete
  2. Nice start on your supers Simon, and good that you've found a use for them, by putting them in a setting you want to.
    Nice progress on Sherlock and the diver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Blimey, you can definitely tell your internet is back-up!! So many comments within a 24-hour period!! LOL!!

      Delete
  3. Sounds good. Look forward to seeing them finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting batch of figures, Simon. Keep up the good work on them as I'd like to see them all finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Two are already finished, and I hope to have another couple completed within the next few days.

      Delete
  5. The superheroes look intriguing, so I can't wait to see them all painted up. Pull City looks fun so can't wait to see more. Sherlock Holmes and the diver look nice, so can't wait to see the finished models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. I guess what you're saying is that you "can't wait" ;-)

      Delete
  6. Off to a good start mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon, and for the miniatures. Very much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  7. Great start for the project Simon, hopefully we won't have to wait too long to see the finished models.
    Wonderful looking Sherlock by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wouter. I'm certainly close to having a few of the "Pulp City" and "Kitbash Games" models finished. Plus Sherlock Holmes is now finished too :-)

      Delete