Monday 30 March 2020

"Get Out Of My Way. Now"

"All of this hardware is nice... But covering each other is the greatest weapon we have."
This 39mm tall pre-painted "Wizkids” and is miniature number 032a from their Marvel "HeroClix" Secret Invasion range. "Known for his marksmanship with rifles and impressive physique", as well as his "trademark bowler hat", Dugan was working as a circus strongman during the Second World War when he helped Nick Fury escape the Nazis during a mission, and was created by Stan Lee and Jack "King" Kirby for the May 1963 first issue of "Sgt. Fury And His Howling Commandos".

Sliced from his 'clicky' stand with a sharp hobby knife and super-glued to a 40mm circular base, the officer of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage and Law-Enforcement Division) was primed using a couple of coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and shaded in "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade. I then picked out all his straps, holster, quick release buckles, belt pouches, gloves and shoulder insignia with some "Vallejo" White and washed these with Pale Grey.
"Dum Dum" Dugan leads the Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Having looked through the various comic books I own depicting "Dum Dum" I decided to ignore the 'official' "Wizkids" pre-paint colour scheme and also pigment his boots with "Vallejo" White and Pale Grey too. In addition, I applied some "Vallejo" Gold to the model's left shoulder badge, and some "Vallejo" Heavy Red to the war veteran's moustache and hair. Both of these areas were later shaded using a little Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter".

Lastly, I layered the face of "Fury's permanent second-in-command" with "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone, washed it with "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade, and then 'highlighted' it using a dab or two more of "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone. As a final touch I painted the Deputy Director's bowler hat with a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
"I should be getting combat pay on this beat!"
There can be no doubt that scale-wise this particular "Heroclix" sculpt is significantly too large for the comic book character. However, considering that Dugan was apparently killed in 1966 whilst on a Black Ops mission, at least according to the "Original Sin" story-line, and subsequently brought back to life as a robot (or rather Life Model Decoy), I don't mind the size discrepancy too much.

Alongside the leader of the Howling Commandos, I have also finished re-painting two more Gotham Policeman figures by "Wizkids". Available as miniature number 001 from their DC  “Heroclix” Hypertime range, the cops were painted in precisely the same method as the first figure I finished last week, with the exception of one having his skin treated to a concoction of "Citadel" Doombull Brown" and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.

18 comments:

  1. Cracking job on him. One of my fave characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. One of mine too; albeit it's taken me long enough to finish him :-)

      Delete
  2. I always love you blog Simon, I get to meet so many great new characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael, that's extremely kind of you to say. I always try and cram in a few bits about the super-heroes etc I paint, just in case people are interested in knowing just who it is I've put a brush-tip to.

      Delete
  3. Great work on Dum Dum and the officers Simon, for a lighter dark skin tone, Steel Legion Drab is a great start point, it has very natural tones to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I've powered through the rest of my Gotham Policemen using "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, but I'll keep an eye out for Steel Legion Drab next time I'm ordering paint.

      Delete
  4. Great looking set of figures. Dugan looks really striking, those white straps really pop! The police looks good too and well done for the different skin tones as it is easy just to batch paint all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. Should have finished Dugan years ago, but all those white straps really put me off. Still done now and hopefully on the tabletop soon too. Just got to varnish and base the remaining two cops, and that little mini-project is finished as well, just in time for April's project. LOL!!!

      Delete
  5. I've always liked those GCPD officers you use in your AARs. Top stuff. Something I've always admired and wanted to emulate is your DC/Marvel inspired solo games. Just never found the right characters or setting I'd want to run with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy. I realised the other month that I only had five cops, two of which are sergeants, and thought I better get some more done. And now finally I'm approaching having twice as many. Lots of BatReps planned for these guys in the weeks to come, and if it helps, I have a couple of your painted figs in my line of sight when I paint mine :-)

      Delete
  6. I like Dugan, I thought at 40mm he'd look huge, but he fits in well ( I presume with his opponents/allies).
    The cops look good to, very good sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Dugan towers over the normal police etc, far too much imho, but matches up quite nicely with the rest of the Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. Plus as he's now a robot, I'm happy with the size discrepancy.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done Simon, though not one of your speediest paintjobs ;-) The howling commando's look great once assembled (do they assemble like the avengers?)

    Nice to see your police department is an equal opportunities employer :-)

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Roger. Many thanks indeed :-) Sadly the Howling Commandos were held in captivity when they weren't needed, and just when they got released the comic book series was cancelled. I do try, where I can, to mix-up the skin tones on my minis, and the Gotham Policeman seemed a good mini to do so on.

      Delete
  8. Dugan is a nut and your take looks great mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm pleased Dugan is finished after all this time :-)

      Delete