Tuesday 10 March 2020

"Egad, Snivelitch! These Madballs Even Gross Me Out!"

"He hasn't seen nothing yet!"
This 28mm scale resin model of a Ballmonster is produced by "Precinct Omega", and was bought as a pair of show specials whilst at "Beachhead" 2020. Designed to be played with the company's "wild and hilarious game of luck and judgement in which players pit teams of giant, carnivorous, helium-filled bad-tempered beachballs against one another", the miniature also came supplied with a clear plastic flying stand.

Having decided against having "my antidote to fantasy sports games" fly through the air in preference of him bouncing towards his opponents across the ground, I super-glued the 'head' onto a 25mm circular base, and primed him "Vallejo" Heavy Red. I then drowned the freakish figure in "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, before dry-brushing him with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Red.
"Otherworld Miniatures" WIPs - A second (weathered) Barrow Guardian and a Fighter in plate mail
With the basics done, I 'picked out' the gas-filled sphere's teeth using a combination of "Vallejo" White and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, and his puss-filled 'blind' eye with "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade. Finally, I dotted in his right 'good' eye with a little "Citadel" Abaddon Black over a layer of pure "Vallejo" White.

In addition to my Ballmonster test piece, I've been plugging away at my collection of "Dungeons & Dragons" figures produced by "Otherworld Miniatures". Disconcertingly, one of the elements missing for my "Fighting Fantasy" themed campaign is a distinct lack of any adventurers, so I have been slowly plugging away at all the metallic areas of a Fighter in plate mail, and dirtying him up a little "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade".
"Wizkids" WIP - The Walking Statue of Waterdeep: The Honorable Knight has been shaded
Alongside this model, I've also managed to finish the 'weathering' on both of my (Greater) Barrow Guardians, and started tidying up their bases ready for my usual application of "Citdel" Doombull Brown, Rakarth Flesh and Agrax Earthshade. I'm actually hoping to get my hands on a third of these excellent Andrew May sculpted stone custodians from the Hertfordshire-based manufacturer's official "Barrowmaze" range soon...

Lastly, after a couple of sessions with a 24ml pot of "Citadel" Nuln Oil and a big paintbrush, I have completed shading my Walking Statue of Waterdeep: The Honorable Knight by "Wizkids", including both the custodian's enormous shield and sword. Now I just need to start applying a dry-brush of "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey over the entire miniature using my recently purchased makeup foundation brush from the "Abody" Professional Cosmetic Kit.

10 comments:

  1. I like your ball monster thing. Nicely painted and very squig like I have to say! The barrow guardians are coming along nicely and that adventurer looks like a nice sculpt. That statue looks like a project all on its own! How much shade did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I've finished the Ballmonster's five team-mates now, so expect to see them posted soon, and then it's on to their opponents. The Barrow Guardians are completed too, and proved good practice for the larger Knight. Half a pot of "Citadel" Nuln Oil did the job!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Great job on him. Love that OW Fighter mini I must get around to grabbing him at some point for 7TV Fantasy next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. Yup, "Otherworld Miniatures" do some fantastic figures for fantasy, imho.

      Delete
  3. I hope the blood red bollock is not a self portrait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely not, Phil. It's far closer in looks to one of my blog's followers ;-)

      Delete
  4. Great work on all Simon, particularly like the rock tone on the walking statue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Hopefully the walking statue will be finished soon. It's ruddy heavy to say the least!! LOL!!

      Delete
  5. The "monsterball" looks great fun and excellently finished, but I think some cat;s eyes type of thing (or goat eyes 'cos they're weird too) may have had a less amusing look - or was that twhat you were looking for ?
    Either way I do like these critters...
    The various DnD types to come are interesting if they're all as good as the rather forlorn, weary looking fighter !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. "Amusing" is definitely the way I was going with the Ballmonster, as, having spent some time talking to their sculptor/painter, they're meant to be stupidly fun. Lots of "Dungeons & Dragons" stuff coming over the next few weeks as I dip into my "Otherworld Miniatures" backlog.

      Delete