Tuesday 23 November 2021

“Velociraptors Were Actually Feathered Animals.”

“They grew up to 100 pounds, about the size of a wolf.”

These 10mm scale metal miniatures of three Velociraptors are produced by “Magister Militum” as code DIN43 from their Pre Historic Dinosaurs, Animals & Marine Reptiles range, and come in packs of five models. The late Cretaceous creatures are all “sculpted with feathers” and have been sat languishing upon the ends of some wooden painting sticks in a cup, since I first purchased them a few years ago at the Newbury & Reading Wargames Society’s show “Colours”.

Each animal was initially primed with two coats of “Vallejo” Heavy Brown, before being washed in a combination of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade. They were then dry-brushed with (more) “Vallejo” Heavy Brown, and had their feathered necks ‘picked out’ using a combination of Heavy Red and “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson.

"Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" WIPs - These Ape Minions have required some gap-filling with Green-stuff

I wasn’t all that happy with this particular colour scheme, despite some time researching all the different palette possibilities Palaeontologists proposed a feathered Velociraptor could be, so tried blending the neck in with the rest of the dinosaur’s body by giving it a light dry-brush of (even more) “Vallejo” Heavy Brown. However, this didn’t seem to work either, so in the end I simply settled upon shading these ‘highlights’ with a little additional “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson.

As a final touch I attempted to dab a little “Vallejo” White on to the claws and teeth of each miniature, and later splashed them with “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade. The three figures were subsequently super-glued to a 30mm x 40mm plastic rectangular base, so as to match my preferred basing style for all my other 10mm miniatures.

"Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" WIPs - Five Sorcerous Sentinels are currently on the painting table

I was originally planning only a couple of these Velociraptors as part of one of my self-imposed weekly challenges. Happily however, the following week’s subject matter, randomly chosen by the turning of a playing card, revealed I needed to pigment another single 10mm model, so I quickly made up my mind to simply populate a single stand with a trio of deadly killers in order to kill two birds with one stone.

Rather frustratingly though, I have realised that I only seem to own two more of the figures, so I’ll need to pick up an extra bag or three of the dinosaurs if I want to make any more bases. This is a tad annoying as I was only stood looking at the entire range in the flesh a little over a week ago, when I visited “Magister Militum” whilst attending “Salute” 2021. Although I have dug out a load of previously painted figures from the range that I am currently in the process of re-basing/touching up…

No comments:

Post a Comment