Wednesday 5 January 2022

“The Dark Angels Are Considered The Most Powerful…”

“…And secretive of the Loyalist Space Marine Chapters.”

These 6mm scale plastic models of a Conqueror Robot, Rhino, and five Assault Adeptus Astartes all used to be produced by “Games Workshop” as part of their now long out of production (OOP) “Epic” range. However, I was fortunate enough to obtain the vast majority of them either when the Nottingham-based company first released its “Space Marines” boxed set in 1991, or via the second-hand market.

In the past I painted “my finest warriors” as Black Templars due to the softy-detailed miniatures having already been primed in a thick black paint by their previous owner/s. However, both the Robot and Assault Space Marines were actually untouched, so along with a previously-primed black Rhino, I applied a couple of coats “Vallejo” Dark Green across all the models.

"Mongoose Publishing" WIPs - Walter The Wobot

Next, I splashed plenty of “Citadel” Nuln Oil over the entire ensemble and later dry-brushed them all with (more) “Vallejo” Dark Green. I then ‘picked out’ all the tiny figures’ chainswords, bolters, lascanon, heavy bolters and numerous objects on the transporter with a combination of “Vallejo” Gunmetal and “Citadel” Nuln Oil.

Finally, I dotted the eyes of the Robot with a little “Vallejo” Heavy Red, shaded them with “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson, and subsequently highlighted the pupils with (more) “Vallejo” Heavy Red. I did consider potentially painting some of the Dark Angels’ weapons in red, but ultimately decided that I’d leave such finicky brushwork to any Chapters which would otherwise potentially clash with the First Legion’s colour scheme – such as the Salamanders; where I intend to give them black shoulder-pads.

"Flames Of War" WIPs - These Panzergrenadiers have been primed, shaded and dry-brushed

Alongside my latest contribution to the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (AHPC) I have been working on a sculpt of Walter The Wobot by “Mongoose Publishing” for Dave Stone’s Paint What You’ve Got Challenge. This 28mm metal figure was part of the manufacturer’s long-running “Judge Dredd Miniatures Game” Kickstarter, and will hopefully be the first of a handful of “2000 A.D.” related robots I will complete over the coming four weeks.

In addition, I’m already beavering away at the “Battlefront Miniatures” set aside for my third AHPC painting block. Over the next seven days I plan to get a few more stands of Grenadiers finished for my “Flames Of War” force German Beach Defence Force, and perhaps a four-model strong Panzer IV Tank Company too. These reinforcements should enable me to field a second Infantry platoon, as well as a sizeable armour contingent, alongside my already completed Command HQ, Grenadier Platoon and 12cm Mortar teams...

No comments:

Post a Comment