Saturday 29 April 2023

"Churchills Saw Widespread Action In Normandy."

"It is sometimes called the "Heavy Churchill" and was given the specification number "A42" in 1945."

These two 10mm metal British infantry tanks are sold by “Pendraken Miniatures” as Code BRV41 - Churchill VII, 75mm, and were found amongst a number of the Middlesbrough-based manufacturer's other armoured vehicles in a recent recce of my lead mountain. Initially, I had planned to use them as the start of an early World War Two (non-winter) Allied force, having previously pigmented both a Soviet and German snow-flocked force for an old version of the rule-set "Blitzkrieg Commander".

However, having done a bit of research I found that the tank was actually present during the "Battle Of The Bulge" and beautifully captured in the picture Churchills Advance by Nicolas Trudgian, so decided to simply add them to my Allied contingent for that campaign instead. I also got myself into a little bit of a quandary surrounding the vehicles' hue as the excellent "Colours Of War" painting guide by "Battlefront Miniatures" and "Vallejo" recommended a combination of Bronze Green and Black Wash - which frankly sounded a little dark for my liking.

"It was one of the heaviest Allied tanks of the war."

Fortunately, I saw that the book also subsequently suggested a "layering" of Russian Uniform WW2, so went with that particular (somewhat) lighted green colour as my prime and then later sploshed the Churchills with "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade to act as a simple shade. One highlight with (more) "Vallejo" Russian Uniform WW2 later and I had the basis of a palette which stood out from both the much darker "Vallejo" USA Olive Drab of my American armoured vehicles, and, perhaps more importantly, the sorely missed "Citadel" Knarloc Green Russian tanks. Furthermore, I always find a lighter tone of pigmentation always better suits smaller scale miniatures.

I finished the armoured vehicles by 'picking out' their predominantly covered tank tracks using a combination of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Abaddon Black, before deciding upon which decals to apply to them. Originally, I was going to just use some triangular squadron markings on their turrets, with perhaps the odd tank recognition flash on the hull. This would certainly be more historically accurate. But in the end I felt I wanted them to stand out as being British (with the possibility of painting more to represent other Commonwealth countries), so inaccurately slapped a couple of Union Jacks on the turrets instead.

"Pendraken Miniatures" WIPs - An M5 Stuart tank layered in "Vallejo" US Olive Drab and shaded

With the latest finds from my 'pinnacle of potential' painted, I have perhaps unsurprisingly started wading into the goodies produced by "Pendraken Miniatures" I recently purchased at Salute 50, and resultantly got cracking on a trio of 10mm M5 Stuart tanks I want to field as part of the American Battle Of The Bulge forces. These lovely little models have so far been primed with "Vallejo" Earth, layered using "Vallejo" USA Olive Drab, and partially-drowned in "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade.

"Battlefront Miniatures" WIPs - A Panzer II tank layered in "Vallejo" German Grey and shaded

Lastly, I have made some slight progress on one of the five "Flames Of War" Panzer II tanks by "Battlefront Miniatures" I also picked up whilst at Salute 50. Quite understandably, this 15mm 'test piece' contains quite a bit more detail than its smaller scaled brethren, so has only been primed in "Citadel" Abaddon Black, base-coated with "Vallejo" German Grey and shaded using "Citadel" Nuln Oil...

No comments:

Post a Comment