Wednesday, 22 July 2026

"Zoinks!" A Ghost!"

 "Hold your breath, and don't move a muscle!"

This 28mm scale white metal model is produced by “Crooked Dice Game Design Studio” and can be bought either separately as MINI 1336 Undead Astronaut, or as part of their DEAL 375 Spooks four-figure set. The miniature is sculpted by Andrew May and is clearly influenced by the villain from the 1969 "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" animated episode "Spooky Space Kook".

Able to leave "glowing footprints and fingerprints that dissipate after an undetermined time", the model was primed using "Vallejo" Steel Grey and heavily shaded with plenty of "Citadel" Nuln Oil. It was then enthusiastically dry-brushed using some (more) "Vallejo" Steel Grey, before having its elbow/knee joints, as well as its belt carefully 'picked out' with a little "Citadel" Abaddon Black.

"Modiphius Entertainment" WIPs - This Vulcan scientist is almost tabletop ready

The miniature was actually a bit more complicated than its cartoon counterpart, so I decided to apply a combination of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil to its belt buckle and the tubing on its back-mounted breathing apparatus. I next tackled the ghostly apparition's infamous glowing skeletal face by dabbing a load of White Star by "Two Thin Coats" into its open space helmet and later giving the area a good dousing in some watered-down "Citadel" Flesh Tearers Red.

This approach certainly gave Henry Bascomb's disguise a nice, gory head, especially when I subsequently highlighted it with a little additional "Two Thin Coats" White Star rather than use the colour of the foiled criminal's space-suit as seen in the television show. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I thought this 'change' made the head look a bit too stark in comparison to the rest of the body, so I blended it in a bit with a touch of "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.

"Modiphius Entertainment" WIPs - A trio of "The Next Generation" ensigns partially painted

Alongside my latest (not) Scooby-Doo villain I have been progressing a number of Federation crewmen by "Modiphius Entertainment". In particular a Vulcan scientist for my "Star Trek: The Original Series" Landing Team. I'm not sure whether the "Citadel" Nuln Oil over the female ensign's legs has particularly worked as black tights, as the technique did for Lieutenant Uhura's much browner legs, so I've actually applied a second shade on them to see if that sits better.

In addition, I've turned my eyes to working on an Away Team for the U.S.S. Enterprise-D's timeline, even discovering a Tellarite crewman amongst my previously assembled backlog. Hopefully, due to the lack of colour on their Starfleet uniforms, these miniatures will prove a lot faster to get tabletop ready, and help me successfully achieve my random drawer challenge for this month with a few days to spare...

No comments:

Post a Comment