Wednesday 22 March 2017

"Allons-y!"

"Think you've seen it all? Think again."
This 28mm scale "pewter" model of the Tenth Doctor as played by David Tennant, is produced by “Warlord Games” and forms part of the five-miniature strong "Tenth Doctor And Companions" boxed set. Voted "The UK's favourite Doctor" in November 2013, this incarnation of the Timelord was first seen in the June 2005 BBC television story ""The Parting of the Ways".

Originally primed with two layers of "Vallejo" Heavy Brown, the Gallifreyan's trainers, shirt and tie were painted using either Heavy Red or White, and appropriately washed with "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson or "Vallejo" Pale Grey. I then treated the time traveller's suit to a combination of Heavy Blue and "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade, before picking out his hair with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna. This area, along with his overcoat, were subsequently shaded with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
Karanak WIPs - The Khorne Flesh Hound is slowly having all of its gold icons and collars 'picked out'
In addition to my latest "Into The Time Vortex" miniature, I have been making some steady progress on my three-headed Karanak for "Age Of Sigmar". This 'never sleeping' resin model of the Flesh Hound who "prowls Khorne's grand throne room" is proving incredibly time-consuming on account of the sculpt's terrific attention to detail, and the fact that I fully assembled the rather cumbersome figure before I started painting him.

With hindsight I really should have left the three heads separate from the body, as each has subsequently caused me a few challenges in trying to reach the beast's collars with my paintbrush. Fortunately however, with a far amount of patience, and plenty of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade I believe I have finally turned the corner, and am currently in the process of simply tidying up the "Vallejo" Gold areas before moving to the monster's back-spines and double-tail...
Slambo WIPs - The Chaos Warrior has been primed, washed and dry-brushed
As something of an indulgence I pre-ordered the "updated version of the classic, iconic Chaos warrior, Slambo" just as soon as "Games Workshop" announced it, and upon his arrival I simply couldn't resist setting aside a little of my hobby-time in order to both assemble the "multi-part resin kit" and apply 'a lick of paint' to it. Initially I did consider painting the "Age Of Sigmar" Exalted Hero of Chaos in the seemingly popular green armour depicted on the model's box. But decided that such a palette would undoubtedly seemingly tie the figure to Nurgle. I have therefore instead chosen a far simpler silver and gold scheme, which should subsequently allow me to field the 'legend' in any Chaos force I decide to field.

24 comments:

  1. The Dr looks good Simon, I really like the figure!
    I often have these hindsight moments where I wish I'd painted before assembly - I really hate multi part miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I think its certainly clear who its meant to be, although I've since read that Paul Sawyer from "Warlord Games" isn't all that enamoured with it - and a second version is planned for later this year. I'm rather pleased to say that Karanak is almost finished now :-)

      Delete
  2. Nicely done with the Doctor Simon. :)

    What is your impression of the Who minis from Warlord?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. I like the "Warlord Games" minis, although I do find their detail to be a little soft - especially the faces.

      Delete
  3. The Doctor looks great Simon, Karanak is almost there now. Good colour choice for Slambo, as you say can use it with any chaos force then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, and for the idea of the red wash over Karanak's purple facial markings :-)

      Delete
  4. Great work on the Doctor, Simon. David Tennant is certainly my all time favourite Doctor , so it was good to learn he topped that poll.

    I still have the original version of Slambo, painted all black. I have no desire to replace him. I do like your colour scheme for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bryan. I think a grungy silver Slambo will be just the job considering all the different Chaos forces that there now are out there in "Age Of Sigmar".

      Delete
  5. Excellent job on the good doctor and nice progress on Karanak :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I'm getting there with Karanak slowly but surely :-)

      Delete
  6. Love that Chaos Warrior. Good job on the Tenth...up there with the Fourth, for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. I'm certainly waiting for the Fourth Doctor to appear on "Warlord Games" website ;-)

      Delete
  7. Good work on the tenth Doctor (actually my ninth fav, you can probably guess the top eight). Love the colours on the Karanak, he'll look great when finished, and Slambo, I remember the original (never owned him, but still), wasn't there a version of him in the original "Dungeon Quest" board game? anyway loving you colour choice on him too.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. I totally understand your love of the classic Doctors :-) Karanak is close to being finished, and I'm hoping Slambo won't be far behind. I never owned the original myself, but rather like this version.

      Delete
  8. Great work Simon, it's no good, I'm going to have to give in a pick up a set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Glad I've finally tempted you ;-)

      Delete
    2. He'll go nicely with the ten Daleks I've just prepped! :)

      Delete
  9. Probably the least inspiring of the figures Warlord Who figures, but nicely painted.
    Karanak is progrssing well and I think I've got a couple of the Chaos Warriors from the HeroQuest boardgame inspired by Slambo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. Karanak is now finished and should be posted for the weekend. Slambo is great imho and is a great "GW" release.

      Delete
  10. The doc looks just right! A great partner for Ms Jones.

    Three heads are not always better than one then?

    Slambo "Re-release"??? Rather strange one to redo. Whilst a classic sculpt for sure, it's static pose was never that inspiring imo. Still, I also have one of the Heroquest versions primed and read for paint - perhaps your updated one will be enough of a kick in the rump to get some paint on him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. The Doc and Martha, accompanied by three Judoon, should be appearing in a BatRep soon, as may my now finished Karanak. The Slambo model is certainly a little static in pose, but his larger size makes him an impressive "AoS" piece imho.

      Delete
  11. Niiiice work on The Doctor AND on Martha Jones too. Karanak looks suitably scary, and the Chaos Worrier makes me feel all nostalgic.

    Some really interesting post Simon, I can see I have a lot of cool catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, good to have you back blogging and commenting. Lots of hopefully interesting minis in the pipeline ;-)

      Delete