Thursday 8 June 2017

"Mu-Scan Follows By Encoded Psignal."

"Retrieval now indicates a 98% co-incidence with forty-seven previous raids in the Aphis Sector (102)."
This 28mm metal model of a Necron Raider was sold by "Games Workshop" as Necron Warrior 5 (Code 9947011000205) and mercilessly 'chopped up' by Dave Stone of "Wargames Terrain Workshop" fame, so as to provide some of his other figures with cybernetic limbs. Fortunately, its remains have since been very kindly gifted to me, and resultantly become the second of three Necron-themed objective markers I plan to accompany my 'Oldhammer 40K' Necron Kill Team.

Having initially been super-glued to a thin 40mm base, and dramatically posed with the aid of some "Gale Force Nine" Grey Stuff, the supposedly long-deceased robot was primed with "Citadel" Abaddon Black and subsequently layered with Ironbreaker. The skeletal automaton was then washed with Nuln Oil, roughly dry-brushed with more Ironbreaker, liberally treated to a coating of "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash, and finally given a second dry-brush of Ironbreaker.
"Dungeons & Dragons" WIPs - A Half-Elf Sorcerer, a Gnome Infiltrator and a Lizardman Warrior
A similar technique was applied to the Necron's Gauss Flayer using "Citadel" Abaddon Black and "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash. Although the weapon's tip was actually painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Khaki and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green. Lastly, so as to imbue the defunct "spine-chilling" machine with an Egyptian aura, the raider's collar was 'picked out' using "Vallejo" Gold and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, Vallejo "Heavy Blue" and "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade", as well as "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.

In addition to my Necron objective/spawn marker I have also begun painting three of the five adventurers I plan to use for my "Expedition To The Barrier Peaks" campaign. These wonderfully animated, yet sadly 'Out Of Production' "Dungeons & Dragons" miniatures were made by "Wizards Of The Coast", and predominantly come from the company's discontinued "Chainmail" range.
Nemesis The Warlock WIPs - The "2000 A.D." comic book character is slowly being progressed
As I plan to actually use "Mutants And Death Ray Guns" by "Ganesha Games" to play this old "D&D" module with, rather than the fantasy tabletop role-playing game by Gary Gygax, I thought a broad range of heroes and races would really help test out many of the rule-set's numerous traits, abilities and weapons. As a result I am currently painting a Gnome Infiltrator (with repeating crossbow), a Half-Elf Sorcerer, and a Lizardman Warrior...

Finally, having recently finished both Torquemada and some Terminators, I have started work on their "fire-breathing demonic alien" opponent, "Nemesis The Warlock". This plastic "Wizkids" pre-painted miniature has been sat gathering dust in my painting queue for a couple of months now, but having spent a little time on the "2000 A.D." comic book character, I am already halfway through painting all of his battle armour.

32 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant Simon, I love the weathering on this poor chap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I really love the different ways you can use "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash, depending on whether you shake the bottle first.

      Delete
  2. I like the Necron weathering it looks really effective. I'm especially enthusiastic to see the finished Torquemada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. It'll certainly be good to see Torquemada's arch-rival Nemesis finished and put that particular mini-project to bed... at least for a while.

      Delete
    2. Doh... I meant Nemesis. Silly me.

      Delete
    3. No worries Phil. I knew who you meant :-)

      Delete
  3. An interesting mix of figures. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Nemesis finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I have a few more "2000 A.D." related minis coming over the next few weeks, as my recent "Salute" purchases start bubbling to the top of my painting queue.

      Delete
  4. The Necron conversion is a super inspired idea, and will make a cool addition to any game. I`m so glad to see the Expedition To The Barrier Peaks" campaign coming along so well, and your decision to use "Mutants And Death Ray Guns" for this is (I think) a sound one. This campaign promises to be quite an event, and I look forward to seeing it revealed here in all its glory.

    If you look carefully at M&DRG`s supplement manual {Project Simian Ultra X}, you will see stats for `not` Not Aliens, `not` Predators, and many other iconic creations from fantasy and sci-fi.

    Love your "Nemesis The Warlock" 2000AD WIP, stunning piece that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hils. I'm just delighted Dave was kind enough to send me the battered Necrons. There's going to be loads of "Expedition To The Barrier Peaks" postings over the next few weeks as this project starts to take shape and develop.
      Thanks for the tip Ref "Project Simian ultra X", as I haven't really paid that book much attention for fear of being distracted by it. Glad you like Nemesis too, plenty more "2000 A.D." stuff to come :-)

      Delete
  5. excellent post, and lots to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the Necron Simon, nice eclectic group of adventurers, very much looking forward to seeing this develop. Nemesis is looking good, who are you planning to support him ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for sending me the Necron, Dave. I'm hoping to use some "Beyond Gates Of Antares" freeborn aliens with Nemesis, as many of those are small and cute ;-)

      Delete
    2. Your most welcome mate, interesting idea, had wondered if you were going to use some ABC Warriors but this will work just as well

      Delete
    3. I was thinking ABC Warriors, Dave, but then thought just one robot would probably cost as much as all three Terminators in "MaDRG". And as I was basing the game on a human festival where lots of terrified cute aliens were about to be sacrificed I thought the "Warlord Games" minis were ideal; plus it more minis finished for "Beyond The Gates Of Antares" ;-)

      Delete
    4. A win win situation is always good, look forward to seeing a batRep of this

      Delete
    5. "look forward to seeing a batRep of this" - me too, as it means I've finished them all and started work on another project ;-)

      Delete
  7. Those Necrons are brilliant Simon, and I'm loving what you are doing with Nemesis, though I never realised what colour he was as all the comics I have with him in a B/W, my one complaint (and it's not with your painting), is that the Nemesis figure looks a bit "chunkier" than I envision him.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I'm going with the colour of the pre-paint on Nemesis tbh, as that's the scheme the majority of "2000 A.D." cover illustrations have him. There are though a few which show him as being red!?! The mini is indeed a bit "chunkier" than one would like. I don't believe the "Wargames Foundry" version is quite so 'big-boned'.

      Delete
  8. The Necron objective is top notch. That Nemesis figure look superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark. Glad you like the pair of 'em :-)

      Delete
  9. The Necron looks like he's emerging from the ground and is doubly creepy for it.

    And I do like that half-elf figure, as it has a touch of the Orient about it.

    As for Nemesis, every time I see him it just reminds me that I want one myself. Good work all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. I'm glad the Necron looks like he's emerging from out of the ground, as I wanted to get that look, so as to also use him for a spawn marker :-)

      The "D&D" minis are all so very characterful imho, and I'm really looking forward to getting a good few of them painted in the coming weeks.

      Sadly, I don't have a second "IndyClix" Nemesis Jez, otherwise I'd pop him in the post for you :-(

      Delete
  10. Lovely work on the necron. As an objective he is perfect. Love the WIP I love the Gnome infiltrator I have been after one of those for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I'm hopeful that a ten-man squad of Necron Raiders will look the business once they're finished. I splurged on a load of "D&D" "Chainmail" minis a few years ago, and am so pleased I did, as there are loads of little gems amongst this range.

      Delete
  11. Another excellent Objective marker Simon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. Great to see a half-broken mini getting a second lease on life :-)

      Delete
  12. Just love that Necron!
    From my recollections of AD2000 (I think the few copies I have are all numbers under 100) Nemesis appeared far more sleek and menacing - can't say I'm a fan of this particular sculpt, but you'll no doubt turn my view around when he's finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Yes, the "Heroclix" Nemesis is somewhat more portly than I recall as well...

      Delete