Monday 16 October 2017

"Security? I Seen Better Security In A Sieve Than Arkham Asylum!"

"You go ahead and try to negotiate... I'm getting to some cover."
This 28mm pre-painted plastic “Wizkids” model of Harvey Bullock is miniature number 015 from the "DC Comics" The Joker's Wild “Heroclix” range. Contentiously created as a lieutenant by Archie Goodwin for issue 441 of "Detective Comics" in 1974, the "crooked police detective" didn't really come to prominence until Doug Moench and artist Don Newton introduced him "as a device to resolve the ongoing plot-line with Gotham City's corrupt mayor Hamilton Hill" in the April 1983 edition of "Batman".

The "wise-cracking loudmouth with a Brooklyn accent" was initially primed with a thinned down layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Brown. This was due to the miniature's pre-paint having quite worryingly softened much of the sculpt's detail, and my eagerness not to therefore worsen an already bad situation. Harvey's shoes were then 'picked out' with Heavy Sienna, and, along with both his huge overcoat and fedora, were later heavily shaded using "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. 
Boromite Gang Fighter WIPs - The alien is slowly having all his reflex armour 'picked out'
The doughnut -lovin' Detective's trousers, tie and hat-band were simply painted "Citadel" Abaddon Black, whilst his firearm and belt buckle were treated to a combination of Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. Finally, his dirty, soured shirt was base-coated "Vallejo" White and subsequently stained with "Citadel" Reikland Fleshade.

I was actually in two minds about purchasing Bullock's "Wizkids" model on account of all the pictures of poor, thickly-coated pre-paints I'd seen on the 'interweb.' Ultimately however, I decided to buy one as I simply couldn't imagine any series of linked wargames based upon the "Gotham" television show not featuring the overweight, grizzled cop. Disappointingly though, I fear my concerns have somewhat materialised around how little detail I was able to extract from the figure's soft-sculpting; particularly his face and tie...
Zombie Gunfighter WIPs - Clutching a large revolver the corpse just needs some washes to be applied
With the latest addition to my "Mutants And Death Ray Guns" campaign completed however, I have found a little more hobby-time with which to continue working on the 500 points worth of Boromites I need to paint in order to deploy a Scouting Force for "Beyond The Gates Of Antares". I've actually already managed to get a couple of these metal "Warlord Games" miniatures finished this month, but want to be able to 'field' a second five-figure strong squad of Gang Fighters before I post up (yet) another article on them.

Likewise I've found myself equally as committed to progressing a few more undead cowboys for this month's Zomtober challenge. Sold courtesy of "Wargames Foundry" I'm hoping to get at least one packet of the Newark-based manufacturer's Zombie Gunfighters finished before the competition's deadline expires, and resultantly am ploughing headlong into the second of their magnificently dead seven...

20 comments:

  1. Great work on Harvey especially if the sculpt is as soft as you say, more great progress on the Boromites, and the undead gunfighter is coming on nicely Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. The Harvey Bullock sculpt is very soft imho, but tabletop worthy imho. Gotta keep plugging away at my Boromites so I can get that "BtGoA" BatRep in :-)

      Delete
  2. It is a shame about the lack of detail on the detective. Even so, you've done a great paint job on him. Likewise on the Boromite. Not surprising, I like the zombie gunfighter best of all and I look forward to seeing him finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I'm pleased to say I've finished the zed cowboy now, and moved on to the next one - should be a double posting for Zomtober this weekend as a result.

      Delete
  3. I reckon Harvey has turned out really well despite the detail probs you mention Simon - and he'll look great "on the table".
    Loving the Boromites, but "magnificently dead seven" is just pure class :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Greg. I'm just working on the third of the magnificently seven now - deadlines always make me focus that bit more :-)

      Delete
  4. Hmm, he detective is indeed a very soft sculpt; I'm not sure that anyone could have done better than your paint job on that model.

    The Boromite is well sculpted and well painted, but I just don't like the aesthetic (but I think you know my opinions on them already, mumble, mumble).

    I'm with Bryan on this one: I like the zombie gunfighter the best :-) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hugh. Much appreciated. I'm actually far from in love with the Boromites myself, but I own a load of 'em, and I need to get 'em painted to play the game :-) The "Wargames Foundry" zeds are excellent imho, and proving great fun to currently paint for Zomtober.

      Delete
  5. Harvey Bullock is one of my favourite Gotham `back up/secondary` good guys, and I especially like his portrayal in HBO`s "Gotham" series (played by actor Donal Logue). I think he was always a little one dimensional in the DC comics and graphic novels (a problem I find with most comics actually... lack of depth: but hardly surprising really as average statistic readership age of a DC comic is between 14 to 24).

    I might be a minority, but I really love the "Wizkids" pre-paint of Bullock, but then again mine seems to be incredibly well painted (given to me by a good friend John Keeting, all Ireland promotions manager for Wizkids back in the day, and mine is a promo edition from `Colours`). I seriously never found a need to repaint mine (mind you, I`ve always loved the pre-paints anyway, and find I only need to repaint a few of them.. MUCH preferring to play and lay lots than paint lol. So its possible I don`t fuss as much as most seem to over our lovely `toys`).

    Instead of sheep; you must count Boromites at night when you close your eyes and go to sleep. I cant believe how many you have to do, and have done lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very lucky with your Bullock then, Steve; albeit the version which arrived for me was better than many pre-paints I've seen. Believe me, when this Boromite scouting force is finished, no one will sleep sounder than I :-)

      Delete
  6. Initially I though the gumshoe had a mask on or represented someone who had had plastic surgery - pretty poor figure all-in-all, but I reckon you've done the best job you could have possibly done on him, so kudos for that.
    Stillloving the Boromites andit's only when the picture are enlarged that I apprrciate how much detail work has to go into them to get the effect you get.
    Zombie gunfighter ....arrghh, but whatever floats your boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Bullock's face was indeed a bit of a nightmare tbh. But he's done, tabletop worthy and should see plenty of action on the rooftops of "Gotham". The Boromites are extremely time-consuming imho, so cheers for the encouragement, its needed having painted three of them recently. I'll be glad when this core Force is finished, and I can simply add to them in a more piecemeal manner.

      Delete
  7. Another zombie gu fighter I say sir that's rather good looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint, he's currently in the flock bin, so should be ready for posting come this weekend's Zomtober entry :-)

      Delete
  8. Nice work on Bullock despite the limitations of the mini. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. At least Bullock is 'in the bag' ready for a game.

      Delete
  9. Harvey has come out rather well, even if his facial features have been somewhat obscured by the pre-paint.

    And your Boromites are progessing nicely too. Hmmm, Boromites versus Nurgle might make a visually interesting game.

    And another addition to the 'Putrescent Seven'. Will we be seeing a 'Dracula's America' AAR on your blog soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. I do have plans for an early BatRep featuring the Boromites, but that'll be up against someone who brings the "Law" with him ;-) I don't plan on playing "Dracula's America" itself anytime soon. But the zeds and cowboys will be used for some "Mutants & Death Ray Guns" once they're finished.

      Delete