Saturday 21 October 2017

"The Dead Do Not Rest Easy In Dracula's America..."

 "Refugees from back East begin to flood the West in ever-greater numbers in a bid to escape the Terror."
These three 28mm metal Zombie Gunfighters can be purchased as Code OW010 from "Wargames Foundry", and are my latest submission for this year's Zomtober challenge. "Hard To Kill" and "Fearsome", enemy models who wish to fight these models whilst playing "Osprey Games" Weird Wild West rule-set, must first "pass a 1 Die Nerve Test or suffer a -1 Die Modifier on its Fight Tests" even when the brain-chomping cowboys are "Down!"

The first of these gun-toting zeds seems to bear a strikingly strong resemblance to the "folk hero of the American Old West" known as "Wild Bill" Hickok, and was primed with "Vallejo" White. His trousers and boots were subsequently painted using Heavy Green and Heavy Sienna respectively, and both of these areas were then treated to a coat of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. I 'picked out' his neckerchief with "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and his battered hat with Charred Brown. Again, these areas were later shaded with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
"Foul and hungry creatures follow in their wake." 
For the one-eyed undead marksman, sporting a fabulously impressive moustache, I pigmented his suit using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Brown and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, and highlighted a couple of wriggling maggots found squirming about his head with "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and a dab of "Citadel" Reikland Fleshade. I also darkened some "Vallejo" Heavy Blue with a touch of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, and carefully highlighted the ghoul's hair with the mix.

The third pistol-carrying cadaver, who disconcertingly is not actually advertised by "Wargames Foundry" as being part of their Zombie Gunfighters blister and resultantly 'bumps' the code's contents up to seven miniatures, had his vest painted using "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade. In addition, this bowler hat was given a coat of "Vallejo" Charred Brown, whilst his shoes and holster were 'picked out' with Heavy Sienna; all these areas were then washed using "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
Conan WIP - The "Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago" Savage has been primed "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand
I created the vivid green look of all three of the zombies' flesh by initially using a layer of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand, and subsequently washing it with "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green, Carroburg Crimson and a little Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter". In addition, I picked out some of the bullet wounds and gashes with "Vallejo" Heavy Red, and treated these areas to a generous wash of more "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson. As a final 'touch' all the living corpses' firearms and ammunition belts were given a coat of Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil.

Sticking with "Osprey Games" rules, my "Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago" Nickstarter pledge by "North Star Military Figures" has arrived. Amongst the plastic crewmen, large lizard and snapping turtle I bought, I also received the tabletop game's incredible sculpt of a Savage; a barbarian clearly ready "to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet.”

28 comments:

  1. Great looking zombies Simon, very cool looking barbarian model as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Zomtober always seems to get my painting mojo going, and the Barbarian is equally as inspiration imho.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to conan. Zombies cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin. I'm hoping to have enough Zombie cowboys painted for a game of "Zombicide" Wild West style at some point. Bit of a way to go yet though :-)

      Delete
  3. They look great dude. Nice start on the Ghost archipelago mini. One of every nicer oneso of the new range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I only bought a few of the new Ghost archipelago minis, as I still have a serious "Frostgrave" backlog. But who can resist so obvious a Robert E. Howard-inspired sculpt as the Savage :-)

      Delete
  4. Great work on the three zombie gunfighters. You are spot on about the likeness to "Wild Bill" Hickock. Good call.

    Yes, I can see the Frostgrave barbarian bearing a similarity with Conan but once again, this game leaves me cold. "Who can resist so obvious a Robert E. Howard-inspired sculpt as Savage?" you ask. Well, me, I'm afraid. Sorry, Simon. It is a nice figure but it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan, the "Wargames Foundry" undead cowboys are great fun to paint. As for Conan, I too don't plan on following "Frostgrave: Ghost archipelago". But as I bought big into the Conan RPG Product Line by "Modiphius Entertainment" I thought the mini was absolutely essential.

      Delete
  5. Lovely job on the gunslingers Simon, great entries for this week's challenge post and I'll be looking forward to seeing more of 'em when you continue the project afterwards :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. The zed gunslingers might be a double Zomtober project, as I think I really need want all fourteen to be painted before I can get a proper game. Time will though tell ;-)

      Delete
  6. My word you have been busy whilst I have been away Simon. I am loving these Dracula's America miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. You have been much missed on this blog :-) Hopefully you'll have a peek back through my postings as I've tried to keep busy.

      Delete
  7. Another good week. I like what you have achieved and being an avid Conan reader back in my youth it's nice to see a rendition that isn't Frazetta based or running around in a furry nappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Its been a rather productive Zomtober week, and receiving the (not) Conan miniature was the icing on the cake. This is a great sculpt of the Barbarian imho, and rather different from those I've seen before.

      Delete
  8. Very nice work on the gunslingers Blaxkleric. Well done with those mate. :)

    You must have quite a bit for the game now, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. Sadly all I currently have for "Dracula's America" is a couple of Crusaders, a Wendigo and these three zombies. Nowhere near enough yet, but if I can get the other four zeds finished next week then I might be able to do a little BatRep or something...

      Delete
  9. Nice work on the Zombie gun fighters. The not 'Conan' is a great looking figure. Needs a Belit to fight beside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I'm very pleased with my 'zeds wiv guns'. I have perused the "Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago" line and not yet spotted a Belit compatible figure. I'll probably start looking at "Wargames Foundry" if I don't spot one I like.

      Delete
  10. Having seen these cowboy zombies in the flesh I can say they are characterful and painted really nicely. Top work Mr B! I think that Frostgrave is an excellent game and although it leaves me feeling cold it is because of the atmospheric setting of the frozen city. The barbarian sculpts in particular are excellent. I am no Conan expert but the Frostgrave barbarian models are exactly how I imagine him to be and as I understand it Conan had adventures in many lands so this Conan in his warmer climes outfit seems spot on to me. Another great post Sir, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. I think a few more zeds will provide quite a nice-looking foe to oppose a couple of Crusaders. I too love "Frostgrave", and whilst some of the minis in the range aren't great imho (as with "Dracula's America" tbh), I think the two (not) Conan sculpts are spot on :-)

      Delete
  11. Great paintjobs on the zeds, but I refer to my precious comment on your last post re the guns (teehee). 'Hickok' does bear some similarity to the RL chap but the 'Conan' type looks more like the He-Man character on TV ads atm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I did enjoy your previous comment and link :-) I think those "He-Man" adverts have done little to help that franchise's situation personally. Quite sad in a way, when you think of the excellent work both Dick Garrison and Jez do with their annual "He-Masters Of The Universe" sculpt/convert and paint challenges. Hopefully my paintjob on Conan will quickly dispel any notion of the "He-Man" advert.

      Delete
  12. Great work on the zombie cowboys, a nice change of genre.

    I second the thoughts of Conan as He-Man and it feeds into a flight of fancy I was having the other day looking at Hydra Miniatures' range for potential stand ins for Teela and Evil-Lyn. I sense a project coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieron. I must confess to being rather taken with the Weird West suddenly. A "He-Man" project sounds very enticing, and would certainly be one I'd be following :-)

      Delete
  13. Great stuff there! At first glance I thought you had a Jedi there :) Looking forward to seeing Conan completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ivor, the guns on the walking dead cowboys are rather long-barrelled. Plenty of "Star Wars" stuff to come next year, I think, with the release of "Legion" ;-) Hoping to get some "Conan" stuff posted on the blog soon.

      Delete