Friday, 18 September 2026

"Force Level Three."

"Take this prisoner to elimination chamber two."

This 32mm scale pewter cast miniature of Systemic Security 1 is produced by "Beast In The Broch" and can be brought either individually as SKU: ALI03 or as part of the six-figure Systemic Units set SKU: PAK 07. Digitally sculpted by Carl Stoelzel, I've painted the model up to resemble one of the System's guards as seen in the 1979 television episode of "Blake's Seven" entitled "Redemption".

One of the many foot-soldiers utilised by "a computer network which was the controlling authority of a highly advanced alien civilisation", the warden was in "Citadel" Abaddon Black, dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal, and later shaded in "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then picked out the man's visor and computerised chest plate using a combination of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and (more) "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

"Beast In The Broch" WIPs - The System Security figure was painted from the inside out

I also eventually used these colours to pigment the parts of the guard's uniform which were apparently made of transparent plastic. On the small screen these elements made the cruel-hearted custodians of the System appear predominantly black. But I thought this would make the figure look rather odd-looking. In addition, I didn't think applying white to the areas - which is something I do when painting gossamer-wings etc, would work out either.

With the basics completed, I then took some time carefully 'picking out' the much smaller details on the figure - using the likes of "Scale 75" Decayed Metal and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade for the miniature's communications bracelet, and "Vallejo" Dead White and Pale Grey on his 'cattle prod' hand-weapon. Furthermore, I tried to follow the 'official' broadcast costume by carefully tracing along the villainous minion's front-facing tubing with a little "Two Thin Coats" Ethereal Green and a smidgeon of "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green.

"Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" WIPs - Nautican Warrior B, Heinous Husk, Modern Moriarty & Devil In Disguise

With the first of my Systemic Security models completed, I have finally started work on four new arrivals from "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio". Unfortunately, the Royal Mail took quite a while to finally decide to deliver these chaps, so my enthusiasm for them took a bit of a knock by the time they did eventually turn up through the letter-box. However, having recently played a game of myco-operative homemade rule-set M.I.S.S. I suddenly found myself thinking how I could use them in an 'Adventures Through Time And Television' flavoured adaption largely just using Karl Perrotton's enormous range of miniatures.

For now though, I've simply plonked some basic undercoats and base-colours on the company's Devil In Disguise, Heinous Husk, Modern Moriarty and Nautican Warrior B - with plans to get the quartet finished before the month is out if I can. This'll allow me to figure out what heroes, minions and villains I next need to get tabletop ready in order to play a game (or three) before October is full played out...

1 comment:

  1. System Guard looks very nice Simon. That faceless, almost robotic visor look is a bit intimidating.

    Looking forward to the quadruple of figs planned for the next batch. Lots of interesting character in there!

    ReplyDelete