Monday, 28 September 2026

“You See, Doctor, You’re My Intellectual Equal."

"Almost. I have too few worthy opponents. When they’ve gone I always miss them.”

This 28mm scale white metal model is produced by “Crooked Dice Game Design Studio” and can be bought as MINI 2388 Modern Moriarty. Sculpted by Ian Mountain, the figure is clearly heavily inspired by the late Roger Delgado's portrayal of the Master (1971–1973) in the BBC science fiction television series "Doctor Who".

As I've always felt this particular incarnation of the "Machiavellian time traveller" wore an off-black suit, I started out by priming the dastardly villain with a couple of layers of "Vallejo" German Grey and subsequently shading him in "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then gave the Doctor's arch-nemesis a heavy dry-brush of (more) "Vallejo" German Grey, before carefully picking out his shirt cuffs with a combination of "Vallejo" Dead White and "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

"Raise your hands."

I did spend a while ruminating over the model's goatee beard and slightly receding hair as Delgado's was noticeably greying during his tenure - most notably with some blatantly white areas of facial hair. However, as the miniature was seemingly stroking one side of his beard I felt it would look a little odd to have a small tuft of white sticking out, so stuck with it just being "Citadel" Abaddon Black. This Citadel base colour was also used to make the fiend's shoes and gloves also stand out from his dark grey costume. Finally, I carefully applied a little "Vallejo" Neutral Grey to the edges of the figure's hairline, and blended it in with some "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and a smidgeon of Abaddon Black.

Alongside my latest "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" time traveller, I have also finished another model by "Beast In The Broch" too. This 32mm scale pewter cast miniature of Systemic Security 3 can be brought either individually as SKU: ALI05 or as part of the six-figure Systemic Units set SKU: PAK 07. Digitally sculpted by Carl Stoelzel, I've painted the model up to resemble one of the System's guards as seen in the 1979 television episode of "Blake's Seven" entitled "Redemption".

"Alternative Armies" WIPs - These two Infernus Tanks are close to completion

The guard was undercoated in "Citadel" Abaddon Black, dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal, and later shaded in "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then used plenty of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil on the chap's visor and chest area (front and back), before tackling some of his finer details - like pigmenting the communications bracelet in "Scale 75" Decayed Metal and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, his hand-weapon in "Vallejo" Dead White and Pale Grey, and the minion's front-facing tubing in "Two Thin Coats" Ethereal Green and a smidgeon of "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green.

Furthermore, I've managed to get most of the colours finished on two of the three 15mm Infernus Tanks by "Alternative Armies" which I'm currently working on. Unlike the third and final of these Malig Ball Tanks, this pair of rotund vehicles don't have their space goblin pilot peeking out from inside the deadly contraption, so should soon be ready for the tabletop...

No comments:

Post a Comment