Friday 2 September 2016

(Lead) Mountain Musings - "Star Trek" September 2016

Imperial & Dysonian Fleet WIPs - Four primed Perry Class Frigates and ten Blitzspear Corvettes
Having been sat surrounded by ever-increasing mountains of metal, plastic and resin miniatures for far too long, I’ve finally decided to try and reduce my horrific horde by dedicating the following few months to a particular genre, manufacturer or scale. As a result I have filled up twelve plastic drawers with all manner of gaming goodies (the mere tip of my collection’s iceberg I’m afraid), and intend dedicating myself to painting up a random selection of figures from these compartments every four weeks or so. Such an unsystematic methodology should not only keep me motivated, as I do like to ‘flit’ subject matter from time to time, but slowly allow me to eat into a seemingly overwhelming amount of soldiers, vehicles, vessels and scenery. In addition it’ll also allow me to better dedicate each calendar month to a specific topic and perhaps progress some ‘old’ projects I’ve shelved; something I have already been trying to do recently without that much success.

For September however, I have slightly changed tact in that I have already purposely chosen the drawer in order to allow me to start painting a number of not “Star Trek” starships produced by “Irregular Miniatures”. These marvellous 6mm scaled space vessels have been sat gathering dust in my painting queue for a few weeks now. But having become increasing motivated to ‘get cracking’ on them by Jez’s wonderfully innovative recent self-made spaceship post [https://carrioncrowsbuffet.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/s-is-for/] and my recent acquisition of the “Star Trek: Attack Wing” miniatures game by “Wizkids”, I’m now determined to get enough finished in order to create a classic ‘original series’ confrontation between the Federation and some Romulan Raiders.
Nurgle Host WIPs - Plaguebearer Icon Bearer, a Rotbringers Sorcerer and the Lord of Plagues
In order to get this project moving I have therefore been busy assembling, prepping and priming a handful of Imperial (Federation) Perry Class Frigates, a couple of Oberon Class Destroyers and a load of Dysonian (Romulan) Blitzspear Class Corvettes from “Irregular Miniatures” New Spaceship range. These metal vessels will hopefully be the start of a much larger “Star Trek” inspired project, which eventually should allow me to field some considerable-sized fleets. For now though, I simply want to have enough spacecraft painted in order for me to game a reasonably small Romulan raiding action, and make a bit of a dent in my assortment of sci-fi miniatures.

Such a ‘sudden’ obsession for all-things Gene Roddenberry doesn’t mean though that I’ve been neglecting my Host of Nurgle for “Age of Sigmar”, and I’ve every intention to keep adding to this plague-infested ‘Force of Chaos’ all the time; albeit in bite-sized chunks. For now though I still need to apply some finishing brushwork to my warband’s initial units, which, as far as my Plaguebearers’ Icon Bearer is concerned, means having his pimples ‘picked out’ with a combination of “Vallejo” Heavy Ochre and “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade.
Guild Ball Engineer's Team WIPs - (Season II's) Hoist and Mainspring
With my “Tallymen of Nurgle” almost complete, I have also found the time to get some additional work done on my Lord of Plagues. This impressive multi-part plastic model, quite possibly my favourite of the entire “Games Workshop” range, has proved a little fiddly in places on account of the terrific amount of detail his sculpt entails. But having now finished all his chainmail, heavy plated leg armour and sacrificial skull adornments, not to mention his gigantic plague-ridden Great Blade, I’m reasonably confident I can have my Nurgle Hero (and my initial General) finished within a few days.

Alongside my Lord of Plagues, I have managed to make a little headway on a Rotbringers Sorcerer. This is actually my first experience preparing and painting one of the manufacturer’s much-maligned “Finecast” models, and my initial impression of the actual sculpt were very favourable. The detail was both crisp and stunning, and I was certainly looking forward to painting what initially looked set to be a straightforward black, brown and green paint-job. Sadly however, things have not worked out that way at all, and despite having spent some considerable time cutting away all the excess resin from this model, I have consistently found myself having to ‘bring back the blade’ in order to remove something I initially thought was detail but whilst painting realised was actually flash…
"STAR TREK: ATTACK WING" - The U.S.S. Enterprise-D battles the I.K.S. Maht-H'A
Lastly the recent completion of my “Guild Ball” striker Velocity has somewhat spurred me on to give a couple of her Engineer Guild team-mates some much-needed attention. I must confess to not being a particularly great fan of the actual fantasy football ruleset by “Steamforged Games Ltd”, or their rather ‘pin-reliant’ miniatures such as Hoist and Mainspring. But I do like the aesthetics of wooden automatons with metallic joints and bronze fastenings.

20 comments:

  1. Looks like it's going to be a busy and interesting few months ahead Simon, with Nurgle, Guildball and Irregular starships (my favourite of the three TBH). I do like the way you paint up those starhips, mind you your Nurgle stuff is excellent too. As are the Guildball figs.

    Oh' it's all sickeningly good OK

    Cheers Roger.(Oh and don't forget Mo'vember, and Zomtober)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. Its hopefully all going to be about focus for the next few months at least. I will certainly be in for both Mo'vember and Zomtober, I will though be taking a break from the Analogue Painting Hobbies Challenge in order to simply concentrate upon these Monthly subjects for a while. Hopefully the drawer chosen for Mov & Zom will contain something related to those events. But if not I'll always find something ;-)

      The "Irregular Miniatures" Starships are going full-steam ahead already, and I just need to varnish the Oberon Class Destroyer I drilled straight through last month (and thus has to mend) and it'll be posted up.

      Nurgle is going to be a resident feature of "Fantorical" for a good few months to come, so expect plenty of pestilence, pimples and puss to be posted for the foreseeable [euck!]. The Icon Bearer is now varnished and flocked, so he'll be posted next week, along with a group shot!! I'm already working feverishly upon my General, the Lord of Plagues.

      I finished Hoist last night, so they'll be at least one more "Guild Ball" article coming up. I'm simply painting these up as they're taking up space and are reasonably simple to churn up; albeit I went back to Hoist after varnishing him to pick out some more brass trim.

      What with all that, and a load of BatReps waiting in the wings, there's plenty coming over the next four-six weeks I do assure you, and hopefully much of it will prove "sickeningly good" :-)

      Delete
  2. Simon, you probably have as many different projects as I do to keep you busy painting for years to come. I do like a bit of diversity and I look forward to seeing all of your projects coming to fruition.

    I do like resin cast miniatures but GW certainly got it wrong with their allegedly Finecast miniatures. I'm surprised someone hasn't sued them under the Trade Description Act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You probably have as many different projects as I do" - which is precisely why I enjoy your blog so much Bryan :-) I'm hoping the themed months will keep things exciting and busy, as well as productive; and last month's Nurgle "AoS" project certainly produced the goods in that respect, as I haven't painted so much since March and the end of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge.

      "Finecast", or rather "Failcast" as I call it, is certainly a material I have tried to avoid in the past, and the Rotbringers Sorcerer is the first such model I have painted. As a surface it takes paint reasonably well imho. But it is disconcertingly bendy and there are so many little pieces of casting flash on it which are near impossible to reach at times. Still if you want the "AoS" models, and I do, then you have to go with what "Games Workshop" make them in... or pay really silly proves for their metal alternatives on Ebay.

      Delete
  3. Wow, September is going to fun around here, best of luck Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good, Simon.

    Intrigued by the sorcerer. Wary of the finecast.

    Currently making a foray into the realm of resin but have no experience with finecast. Word-of-mouth seems uniformly negative. If it's anything like Reaper's "Bones" material (flexible, frequently deformed, impossible to remove mold-lines) I'll give it a pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Finch. The Rotbringers Sorcerer is a tremendous looking sculpt imho, and the detail "Failcast" brings to the party is terrific. But it is very similar to "Reaper" "Bones" imho (a material I dislike immensely) in bendiness, and as I say, the sheer amount of little pieces of casting resin I keep finding on it is infuriating. Having said that thought removing mould-lines is fine with a sharp knife, as long as you can reach them.

      Delete
  5. Good luck! Luckily my posting of 'shiny new toys' has been rather lax over the last few months so less in the way of temptation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. Your site is as much a temptation as it is an inspiration, my friend, so please keep those posts coming. Plus if I can get this monthly topic going I'm reasonably confident I'll soon see a decrease in my lead mountain. Of course "Black Tree Design" having a 30% weekend sale on their "Doctor Who" range hasn't got me off to the best of starts ;-)

      Delete
  6. I credited you with inspiring me and now you're doing the same! It's like that line from Batman or the whole chicken and egg thing...

    Anyway, I am really looking forward to this project, to see whats's available and what you do with it. I've finally given in to the (space) siren call of Trek and decided that as the universe clearly wants me to build spaceships, I'd best do so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jez, and likewise I'm thoroughly enjoying yours too at https://carrioncrowsbuffet.wordpress.com/2016/09/03/to-boldly-go/.

      I've a few more Nurgle postings to come as I work my way through the Host, but they'll eventually peter out to be replaced by lots of starships, and of course, I've a load of "Star Trek: Attack Wing" Batreps coming over the next few weeks too before I start my own "7TV" influenced ones.

      Delete
  7. Fine cast was a big no from me, glad GW has embraced the hard plastic (they're the only ones who can afford it of course....)

    Nice GB figs of course ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. My Rotbringers Sorcerer is certainly testing my patience and my paintbrush I assure you, as a result of its "Failcast". However I shall persevere... These wooden automaton "Guild Ball" minis are very nice indeed and in many ways its a pity there isn't (yet) a team composed entirely of the constructs.

      Delete
  8. Looking into my crystal ball I forsee a very busy future fro you and hopefully some interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, that's the idea - keep painting whilst the mojo lasts and start clearing away that lead mountain (a vain hope I know!!" I too hope you'll find something of interest for you. Mo'Vember is actually looking rather piratical ;-)

      Delete
  9. Shame about that wizard fig... Such a cool sculpt, but yeah, Finecast. Say no more. Meh.

    Love all the painting - the Guildball figs look really cool and those starships continue impress for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I've now finished the Rotbringer's Sorcerer, and despite his "Finecast" nature, he's turned out alright imho. Hopefully I'll be able to post up some WIPs of him next week.

      Glad you're enjoying the "Guild Ball" and "Star Trek" stuff too; plenty more of both will be appearing on this blog over the next few weeks :-)

      Delete