Sunday 10 December 2017

“Twenty Million Zygons Have Been Allowed To Take Human Form…”

"You don't know whether they are human or not."
These four 36mm tall "finely-sculpted" metal Zygons models are produced by “Warlord Games” and can be found as part of the Nottingham-based company's "Into The Time Vortex" range. Based upon the “fictional extra-terrestrial race” depicted in the 2013 BBC television story “The Day Of The Doctor”, these sculpts are covered in the metamorphic humanoids' famous suckers and, thanks to the addition of some resin scenic pieces, will provide my "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" faction with both a readily recognisable Zygon Leader and two Zygon Elite models.

Indeed, the only reason I went ahead and bought another two boxes of the shape-shifting aliens was so I could populate their bases with a couple of the marvellously-sculpted scatter shrooms made by "Wargames Terrain Workshop". In particular, I was keen to make my Zygon Force Commander stand out on the tabletop, owing to the character's unique trait and improved defence statistic. Whilst the Elite figures also needed to be 'easy to spot' on account of the duo not only generating an additional Fate Token for my faction, but also being able to utilise their "Electrical Discharge" ranged attack somewhat better than your average refugee from the planet Zygor.
The Ghost WIPs - The masked vigilante has been dry-brushed, shaded and now just needs some detailing
All four miniatures were primed with two layers of "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone, heavily washed with “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson and then dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Heavy Skintone. As a final touch, and in order to keep their colour schemes consistent with my existing Zygon models, I also controversially blended in some "Citadel" Abaddon Black over the ends of their feet and hands; a somewhat contentious palette choice which hopefully implies that these "Nu Who" variants are capable of firing “electrical charges from their hands that can stun or disintegrate”.

Dave Stone's delicately-detailed scatter shrooms were painted almost identically, except I then added both a wash of "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green and Carroburg Crimson to the fungi, before giving them the lightest of "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone dry-brushes. Initially, I had been tempted to paint the mushrooms in the usual toxic white stalk and red top palette, but ultimately decided to go with something far more akin to the toadstools which were dotted about the organic control consoles in the 1975 serial "Terror Of The Zygons".
K-9 WIPs - The robot dog has been primed, washed and dry-brushed
Sticking with "Doctor Who: Exterminate!", a sneak preview by "Warlord Games" of The Ghost's Recruitment Card has caused me to pull my metal miniature of the caped crime-fighter from out of a drawer, and give him some much needed attention with the paint-brush. Destined to be a loner on account of being a "One Man Army", yet still seemingly more than capable of holding an opposing faction at bay with his +8 Melee attack and 12" (flying) Movement, I'm now rather keen to see this "The Return Of Doctor Mysterio" model battling it out on the tabletop.

Similarly, I've also snatched up my recently arrived K-9 miniature and given the resin robot a fair lick of paint too. "One of the doctors most loyal companions", the "Gale Force Nine" sculpt is currently available now for free when you purchase the company's Six Doctors promotional multi-buy set, and "Warlord Games" have not been slow in releasing a PDF Recruitment Card for his "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" statistics either.

28 comments:

  1. All good stuff here as you concentrate on your "Doctor Who" range. I'm undecided about getting the new Six Doctors set for the simple reason that I'm not sure why I'd want duplicate Doctors or what I'd do with them? I may just stick with the Warlord Games official metal figures as I'm sure they plan on making all of the Doctors. I'd be interested to hear your views on the Gale Force Nine sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I won't be able to answer your question until after Christmas Day, as they've been wrapped. Early impressions weren't great though, as the resin is closer to "Mantic Games" "Dreadball" stuff than I'd like; bendy and hard to cut/file without tearing the material.

      In the meantime I have seen an alternative David Tennant set ("Voyage of the Damned"), Christopher Ecclestone and Matt Smith sets; all of which look awesome imho, and should be released early next year.

      Delete
  2. What's this? A Fantorical post dedicated to just one theme???
    ;-)
    Just pulling your leg Simon, great work as ever buddy - I'm a little surprised to see the moulded "ears" on K-9. I'm sure they'd have looked better as white metal castings, but you've done a great paint job disguising the modelling :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Greg, and sometimes I even post about just one mini, with lots of WIPs to pad out the posting ;-)

      K-9 is a single cast and made of some sort of ghastly plastic resin which really isn't great to either cut or file. In addition, its actually a playing piece from a "Gale Force Nine" boardgame, which just happens to match the scale of "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" - hence it joint release and no metal pieces.

      Delete
  3. Well done that man, you are going great guns with this challenge - very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I must confess it's rather nice picking up a mini and realising that it's already well in its way to being finished :-)

      Delete
  4. Six. A few more of those and the tally will be ticking over nicely, and the century will be up before you know it. But that's enough about the cricket, let us get back to the painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, the Partially-Painted Pledge Challenge tally is already on the rise, but still has a long way to go before its back on track. I may need to increase my posting schedule to make sure of that, as I've a few BatReps en route, so a couple of mini articles per week won't do it!!

      Delete
  5. Great work on your Zygons Simon, Doctor Mysterio and K9 are looking good also, your certainly finishing a lot of models at the moment keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Lots of painted minis coming, as I start clearing house in a big way. Fingers crossed I can keep it up - I'm already looking forward to "Salute" and a rest LOL :-)

      Delete
    2. Shouldn't that read RE STock ! LOL

      Delete
    3. Ha Hah! Well... you might be right there, Dave ;-)

      Delete
  6. Lot's of nice work I especially like K9 that'll be the nostalgia kicking in!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. Hopefully the finished K-9 will be worth it!

      Delete
  7. Nice work. But I've got to give my love to K9. Now that does bring back memories of the best Doctor Who.....Tom Baker of course! K9 looks cracking so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I have a Fourth Doctor waiting for me, so as soon as I'm allowed to unwrap him, he'll be primed and ready for painting :-)

      Delete
  8. They're nice models, but just the wrong size for me. I do like what you've done with them, even so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hugh. "The Warlord Games" stuff is a tad bigger than normal 28mm, so I totally get your point about it fitting in with other ranges etc.

      Delete
  9. All very nice. The fungus things on the Zygon bases fit in with their fluff brilliantly and make them stand out as elites in a clever way. The super hero is looking good and the blue cloak is a lovely colour. I must admit my jelly brain doesn't remember his colour scheme from the TV show that well. I agree K9 is brilliant, although I think you may have bent the partially painted pledge rules a bit as isn't he a new model? I can forgive you though as he looks so great! Well done top notch again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I'm really pleased with the fungi tbh, and like the way they've turned out. The Ghost's paint-scheme is pretty close to his TV show, as I ended up scouring several photos of the costume before I selected my paints.

      No partially-Painted Pledge Challenge breach I assure you, as K-9 is a freebie, and the two Doctor Who sets are both presents - so I haven't bought any new minis at all ;-)

      Delete
  10. Great job on the Zygons they turned out great. K-9 is off to a good start as well. I do think he is a funky companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I actually spotted I'd been a bit heavy-handed with the dry-brushing of one of the Zygons, so have gone back and re-washed/re-drybrushed him :-) K-9 is now finished, so hoping to post him up soon.

      Delete
  11. The Zygons look great and even if a tad larg, as aliens they should fit in well with any figures imho.
    I was also wondering when we'd see a version of the doctor's iconic companion K9 - even I can remember him/it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I love these Zygon sculpts tbh, which is probably why I've painted so many over the past year :-) Obviously, as soon as I saw k-9 was available as a freebie, I went for him.

      Delete
  12. These Zygons are more excellent additions to your Who stuff Blaxkleric, excellent work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. There's going to be a Zygon expansion out in the New Year, including a new posed model, so i wanted to get this batch finished sooner rather than later.

      Delete